BRAND VS. GTA LORE/NO BRAND clothing

Tennplugg

I was very anti-brand until I came to the realization just how important some of them are to gangs and street culture. It's not as simple as "RP the nearest brand".

Like @eTaylor said, Gucci isn't going to sue GTAW. If anything were to come of this it would be a cease and desist which I'm sure management would happily follow. 

The intellectual property concern is valid when it comes to things like mods, certain faction concepts (Hell's Angels) etc.
As far as roleplaying certain brands? Lore simply does not cut it. There's maybe 20 lore brands for clothing, when IRL there's maybe at least 2000 brands sold in the United States. Some things simply don't have lore brands, like firearms, wallets, gloves, boots, and all kinds of stuff a character would use on a daily basis.

In addition, several brands have names that are clearly satire. Pisswasser comes to mind, but also Faggio or Baller, for instance. Ammu-Nation too. Not all gun stores in the U.S have that bombastic marketing.

Lastly, roleplaying a certain brand and model of an item is much more interesting; you can look things up online and know exactly what someone is using or prefers, and it can help in building a distinct character. My characters owns a BMF Wallet. He uses a Magpul-branded case for his smart-phone. He has a Victorinox swiss knife. He applied Coyote Tan CeraKote on his dirtbike's body. His favorite brand of beer is Modelo, but he really liked Orion when he was in Japan. I don't think me roleplaying that is harming anyone.

Please stop trying to restrict what others do simply because they do things differently than you.

Edited by arrdef
Just now, arrdef said:

The intellectual property concern is valid when it comes to things like mods, certain factions (Hell's Angels) etc.

This is a good time to bring up the story of how a Hells Angels faction on LSRP was contacted by the lawyer of the real Hells Angels telling them to cut that shit out.

Nobody is stopping anyone from roleplaying branded items, clothing, watches, general accessories. None of this is being restricted. But mods for clothing and brands that hold legal copyright, this is something we shouldn't support. Logos, branding, etc can very easily be removed to make this totally fine. 

11 minutes ago, Marksman said:

This is a good time to bring up the story of how a Hells Angels faction on LSRP was contacted by the lawyer of the real Hells Angels telling them to cut that shit out.

Nobody is stopping anyone from roleplaying branded items, clothing, watches, general accessories. None of this is being restricted. But mods for clothing and brands that hold legal copyright, this is something we shouldn't support. Logos, branding, etc can very easily be removed to make this totally fine. 

Surely if fashion brands weren't cool (or were aware) with these mods they would've asked GTA-V mods to take down those posts already.

If there are copyright issues then I understand, but because it’s not lore friendly doesn’t make much sense considering there a tons of elements on the server that are taken from real life. This isn’t a lore friendly server.

The way i see it, the difference between cars and clothing is that cars have an insane amount of detail put into them and there's a wide variety of them, and as such, can function as replacements for real life cars. Clothing on the other hand is very limited, and doesn't look all that similar to its real life counterpart. ProLaps for example is a weird mish-mash of Nike, Adidas, and Reebok, and looks nothing like those brands, while Nike is just Nike. I'd rather have several sportswear brands than look pleasing rather than just one.

Edited by CloutToken
  • Syrike locked this topic