Make hospital bills go under powergaming rule

.George

I am not exactly sure as to why anyone is making the argument that roleplaying medical fees is powergaming in any sense. I would see a valid concern if an individual is not roleplaying their injuries or treatment correctly, and/or if they were actually dishonest about any medical fees and were merely attempting to hoard money out of it. I don't want to dwell further into details, seeing as everyone's opinion is revolving around that one specific lawsuit — but from a courts perspective, there is nothing malicious with properly roleplaying treatment of injuries alongside the financial stigma that comes with it, and I wouldn't describe taking legal civil action about it as a "petty" lawsuit. It's a very realistic approach and it's very common around the world — if anything, we are only restricting people by completely abolishing medical fees. Let it be known that proof of /charity has always been demanded.

What I would like to see put into place, however, is a regulated system that keeps people in line with realistic medical fees that would be fitting with the server's economical atmosphere — seeing as people may go down the line in the future and cross it with their charity amount with OOC ill intent to bankrupt somebody. For this reason, there needs to be a universal list of injuries and their treatment costs — perhaps this is something that our medical clinics can be involved in discussing with legal faction management.

• Upvote 1

Medical bills should be a thing if u actually survive. If you get PKed you shouldn’t have to pay shit.

Also where tf is this +0 to the economy rule coming from by that logic masks cost $500 and a duffel bag costs $100 irl.

Medical bills aren't portrayed in game because it would bankrupt any and all illegal roleplayers (especially gang players); they're still a thing and claiming that roleplaying them when appropriate is powergame is ridiculous. If you shoot someone and they sue you for it, it's axiomatic they'll use the fact you shot them in the lawsuit about you shooting them — And that includes roleplaying medical bills.

Powergaming would be pretending your bills were 10 million and keeping the money in the settlement. That's not what anyone is doing.

It also makes a lot of sense to wait for after the settlement to /charity it; maybe they simply don't have 100k to /charity away, and are still roleplaying financial distress regardless. Maybe the character actually hasn't paid the bills yet, and will once the settlement money goes in.

This attitude that just because something isn't in the script, it cannot be roleplayed, is very restrictive. I'm not sure you realize how many players simply never use most of the game script in their roleplay. In roleplay servers, script has always had the role of assisting gameplay, not act as a guide of what you should or should not roleplay.

Edited by arrdef
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, arrdef said:

Medical bills aren't portrayed in game because it would bankrupt any and all illegal roleplayers (especially gang players);  

I don't see why this is an issue? If a gang player gets injured and they got to hospital they should have to pay for their treatment. 

I'm simply stating the obvious reason why they're not scripted in. I have my own thoughts about it, but I don't want to derail. Regardless, roleplaying San Andreas as the only entity in the world that has literal free healthcare is not the way to go; it relies on a script decision that hinges on OOC factors, not IC ones — If we want to keep playing RolePlay Lawyer, it's textbook metagaming.

Edited by arrdef
1 hour ago, TNG said:

I am not exactly sure as to why anyone is making the argument that roleplaying medical fees is powergaming in any sense.

This is again, cherry picking and taking what is written in a way that suits you. At no point did I mentio that roleplaying medical fees is powergaming.

What I am merely saying is that it should be regulated to fit server specifications, there should be server-sided price for such injuries which would in fact make great money sinks in the long run ( seeing a previously money sinks were discussed a lot ). Only thing that would be powergaming is trumping up the costs simply for the sake of causing as much harm to the other party as possible, especially in cases where people don't RP their injuries because lets be honest, nobody takes fun in being forced to RPing at lower capacity due to a bodily injury.

This also further brings the case of injuries caused by accident ( say you drove and rammed in a pole) or injuries caused by obstruction of justice (being shot by police, crashing during chase), are players willing to go ahead and pay costs of those those injuries when there is nobody to sue to cover those costs? The majority answer is very likely no, nobody would love to pay for those.

But again, I am aware that I don't know everything and don't have solutions to everything, hence why this suggestion was made in the first place, to discuss and see how this would be implemented the best on the server, it is just sad seeing people (not you) reading the title and then jumping straight to comments to vent out their anger.

Edited by DjoleK

Government agencies get sued in civil cases all the time for this kind of things. Obviously you can't sue a tree for being in the way of your car. Unless the city installed this tree at a dangerous location, then you sue the city.

On your broader point, I don't think it's possible to regulate anything with so much detail on the server. It should be on a case by case basis; and I don't see any ill-will or powergame in the court case you use to make your point. The issue is that the alternative to that, according to you, is a blanket ban on suing people for damages relating to physical injury. That's overkill.

Edited by arrdef
Just now, DjoleK said:

This is again, cherry picking and taking what is written in a way that suits you. At no point did I mentio that roleplaying medical fees is powergaming.

My response was not targeted specifically towards you or anyone in that regard, but it's a response to a lot of arguments that have been made in this topic (check for yourself)! Although, and as I mentioned in my original post — I agree with you, there should be a universal system to prevent people from abusing this system if they go over the line. Requesting fees below the real life standard does not harm this server in any shape or form and medical fees shouldn't be doubled x10 because our economy is different.