Make hospital bills go under powergaming rule

.George

Before I even start the suggestion itself, I would like to point out that yes, this suggestion is being written due to recent events, but also to point out that I am by no means involved with any of the parties involved in the case, I am merely seeing a big exploit here that I believe should be taken care of before it takes roots.

Another note, this rule is using a very specific case because it is being written as response to such case, but this is merely a suggestion, not a attack or accusations against anyone involved.

With that being said, in current case ‚‚Jacqueline Knight v. Gracelyn West'', due to injuries sustained from being shot, the injured party is rightfully asking for monetary sum as compensation for being shot, as well as lost money due to being absent from work, which again, is completely ‚‚fair'' and normal, HOWEVER, one of the things the injured party there is also claiming is hospital bills which are being completely NPC'd, which you can find posted below.

proof.png

This in itself already causes some issues. First, the costs put here were, per injured party's lawyer taken from some document stating that this is average cost of such surgery in US, in real life, however, Nervous himself said that GTA:W economy is unique, and as such each 1$ in real life would correspond to 10$ in GTA:W universe, which should, if we're following that rule put the costs of aforementioned surgery to shy above 1 million in GTA:w money.

After that, we also have the issue that it is not specified if Jacqueline has already charited that money, which opens the possibility of whoever is making such claim to not actually /charity their money after sustaining the injury, instead waiting for conclusion of the case to see if it suits them to charity it or not.

Another big issue here is that it was completely NPC'd, there was no RP involved during the surgery, absolutely nothing, zero, nada. I could see this making sense if the person actually goes through the process of surgery, but at this point it's just NPCing something and googling how much it costs without taking any additional risks to their character that could come as consequence of the said surgery.

However, the biggest concern I have here, and the reason I am writing this in the first place is the fact that if this is allowed, this case will serve as precedent in all further interactions where people will use this as excuse to harm people they dislike to the maximum. The way it was, at least by now is that after sustaining injuries people only suffered RP wise (be that PK, RPing injury for some time, usually only a few days maximum) while the perpetrator also suffers mostly RP wise (being caught by police, retaliation, etc...), but this way, the injured person, or anyone who has suffered any type of damages (damage to their property, vehicle,...) could sue the perpetrator of the crime for draconian amount of money, he himself throwing down a random sum he found on the internet down the /charity knowing damn well that money will only go out of the other persons pocket.

With all that being said, what I suggest here is either adding certain regulation that would CLEARLY define the costs of injuries/damages to property, or make coming up with such sums and /charity-ing it over NPC'd process with only purpose of harming the other person fall under powergaming rule.

Edited by DjoleK
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

If anything, if someone wants to sue for damages, they should be required to have proof of using /charity prior to submitting the case. Maybe this is the average cost, but does that take into any consideration someone's insurance? Would at least make people consider being more reasonable rather than just trying to pick a big number just to take someone's script cash. Then if you lose the case, you're out the lawyer fees and the money you put into /charity. It's a risk versus reward.

That or we need to set in stone expected medical costs and some sort of ooc 'maximum' to prevent abuse. And still probably enforce the rule I said above.

That is powergaming. You can't NPC surgery and make up a bunch of fees to /charity, only to sue the other person for it.

1f1398f46374bfbc8119411e9b7ba481.png

If this were allowed, the only thing it would inspire is for more lawyers to start concocting ridiculous lists of medical bills drawn from the internet just to bankrupt another player in petty lawsuits.

For arguments sake, considering it isn't mentioned or covered anywhere by the continuity team, medical care is free IC until the server management team decides otherwise.

I honestly wouldn't object to a rule on it. This isn't the first case I've been asked to specify damages by say a judge and had to effectively chart blindly.

I think theres a fair balance somewhere between robbing someone completely blind, but victims should not be blocked from suing entirely. The issue is when you assume all medical care is free, you can go for "emotional damages" but then you're also really just making up numbers.

The only set in game figures I was able to have computed was lost wages, but that seems even more conflated with how jobs work on the server ($216,000 a month for trucking jobs?)

It is also worth noting the Plaintiff in a lawsuit asking for a figure is just that. A request. That does not mean they will actually get that amount when the case is decided.

Edited by bartman

For arguments sake, considering it isn't mentioned or covered anywhere by the continuity team, medical care is free IC until the server management team decides otherwise.

So we're basically saying here that America has free healthcare in this state.
Statewide.
My character got almost murdered for standing somewhere, the person gets ajailed for DM.
I then get DM'd _AGAIN_ for suing that person, what every normal person would do iRL.
I now get backstabbed by an admin for trying to make it realistic.

Yeah, Heavy RP Server, my ass.

Edited by Sigma
  • Upvote 1

Doing something with a malicious intent should definitely come with suffering the consequences of paying a realistic amount of money to pay for medical bills (if sued for it). If it's just your typical vehicle accident I don't believe a person should be paying for medical bills.

2 hours ago, Anselmi said:

Last time I done a search, there's no US state that offers free medical care, this is unrealistic if this will be imposed. People need to face consequences for IC actions. 

• Upvote 2