Current State of Extorting Businesses

TranXify

4 minutes ago, my_g said:

again that's great and all but most people simply don't share this attitude, even if they may say they do to support their narrative. It's commonplace for people to be angry when they're character is fucked over, whether it be getting robbed, extorted or whatever, it's natural even. 

That shouldn't be the mentality on a heavy rp server. People need to learn that they're playing a character and not themselves in a server. Unfortunately I have noticed this mentality more so on the illegal side, we can clearly see that in forum reports mostly with gangs, they develop an OOC hatred for each other which is crazy.

32 minutes ago, my_g said:

Majority of people won't feel this way though, however good the rp may be most people are always gonna be mad when they get screwed over.

It should be emphasized that the experience was enjoyable because participation was possible for both sides in the encounter. The muggers actually allowed engagement by offering opportunities that were not just "give us everything or we'll kill you and take everything". Their focus was not on script items, their focus was to create roleplay.

That is what is often the difference - if the criminals create the scene with roleplay being the reward rather than strictly script success, it is very likely they will find less OOC conflict. 

If it were possible to do so without metagaming, I would likely try to reward such encounters.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 2

Mugging is okay if people leave out the OOC factor from it and actually give people time to roleplay it. But no cause most of people will simply try mugging you when and where they see you. If they kidnap you and drive you away or lead you to abandoned area like some backalley, then its okay.

But everything, not just mugging is rped fast, so they never give you time for anything. And if you take a minute to type the reaction in emote... They start /b QUIT STALLING BRUH. /b Reported. At that point...nobody wants to rp that scene anymore. Extortion usually works that way too especially if there are more people on the scene. This is text server, people need a minute or two to assess the situation and react on it.

Edited by Engelbert
15 minutes ago, Torlo said:

That shouldn't be the mentality on a heavy rp server.

Yes it should.   @my_g said 'screwed over', and that's the important part.

People who put time and effort into their rp don't like to have it wasted or taken by people forcing uncreative, repetitive, poorly portrayed, or trollish crime rp on them.  Of course they're going to get annoyed with it.  If the rp is good enough, then then may not mind because they got good or interesting rp in return.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, jcat said:

Yes it should.   @my_g said 'screwed over', and that's the important part.

People who put time and effort into their rp don't like to have it wasted or taken by people forcing uncreative, repetitive, poorly portrayed, or trollish crime rp on them.  Of course they're going to get annoyed with it.  If the rp is good enough, then then may not mind because they got good or interesting rp in return.

Of course if that's what you're referring to I agree. The amount of two or three man crews who have walked in to try and extort a 24/7 is crazy and should not be allowed, you shouldn't be allowed to extort 24/7's period, yet it continues.

Edited by Torlo

I see a lot of stories but not a lot of solid evidence. You’re all complaining about rampant poorly RPd extortions but I’ve not seen one of you post evidence or one of you make a report.

I am on your side in the fact that I believe those are RP it badly or unrealistically should be punished but that cannot and will not happen until you guys start posting actual proof and either reporting it or passing it to said faction hierarchies and having them sort it.

Complaining about an issue won’t fix it, you need to actually do something substantial that will require slightly more effort than complaining on this thread.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter if you take a look at reports they are filled with criminal rp. Why? Cause only a fragment of it is actually roleplayed.

A kidnapping in a car showroom? Whaaaat? People shooting each other over an insult in front of a club? Guys in suits with expensive sportscar robbing random people on the street? You see it's not just extortion. It needs an overhaul.

17 minutes ago, Lemonade319 said:

I am on your side in the fact that I believe those are RP it badly or unrealistically should be punished but that cannot and will not happen until you guys start posting actual proof and either reporting it or passing it to said faction hierarchies and having them sort it.

While I agree that the problem won't be fixed without a significant amount of player reports flowing in - from personal experience, as long as it doesn't result in my character being killed or other such nonsense, I'll usually leave it alone. I want the situation to be over and done with, and making a report(especially a forum one) just drags it out for days at best. From what I've seen, even a lot of in-game reports are told to be dragged to the forums. Is it counter-intuitive to not want to report stuff like that? Probably, but I think most people feel the same way in that they just want it over and done with. Thankfully, I haven't had any recent encounters as such.

5 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

It doesn't matter if you take a look at reports they are filled with criminal rp. Why? Cause only a fragment of it is actually roleplayed.

A kidnapping in a car showroom? Whaaaat? People shooting each other over an insult in front of a club? Guys in suits with expensive sportscar robbing random people on the street? You see it's not just extortion. It needs an overhaul.

Illegal rp will always be the main source of disputes and reports, it doesn’t really need an overhaul but it obviously can still be improved. But same goes for legal rp, there’s more than enough lack of proper portrayal over there as well, the only difference being that it’s actually somewhat of a challenge to properly portray a criminal. All you guys have to do is properly portray a normal human being and still have enough trouble with that as it is.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Pillowy said:

While I agree that the problem won't be fixed without a significant amount of player reports flowing in - from personal experience, as long as it doesn't result in my character being killed or other such nonsense, I'll usually leave it alone. I want the situation to be over and done with, and making a report(especially a forum one) just drags it out for days at best. From what I've seen, even a lot of in-game reports are told to be dragged to the forums. Is it counter-intuitive to not want to report stuff like that? Probably, but I think most people feel the same way in that they just want it over and done with. Thankfully, I haven't had any recent encounters as such.

You know what it’s fine if those who are complaining about it don’t want to report, that’s up to them. However, to not report about and then complain about it over and over is beyond silly. If you’re not going to report it when it happens you don’t deserve to complain about it. You’re clearly not that upset with the RP if it wasn’t worth your time to make a report.