Current State of Extorting Businesses

TranXify

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well.

I know two business owners who are owners of two different clubs in high class areas. Both of them are getting extorted in some sort of way. I've also heard from friends that it seems like illegal factions try to extort every single business, even 24/7's. I am currently under the impression that if you open a business without an illegal faction backing you, you'll have to bow down to being extorted for either money or being less competitive. I've been speaking to a few friends on the matter, and they think that it is unrealistic for every business to be getting extorted, especially the ones in the high class areas (such as Vinewood, Rockford, Del Perro, Vespucci etc).

I do not intend to throw shade at any particular illegal faction, or all of them either. I am just curious about the opinion of other people on the matter. Does every business actually get extorted, or did I hear incorrectly? If every business (or the great majority) get extorted, then is it realistic in our day and age or not? Is there anything that the business owners can do to combat it? I've heard that contacting the police might land a CK app on you, or get your business burned or something. I had a business on another community where I relied on the police, the criminal group attempted to burn my place down and got caught and imprisoned. They just came out a few hours later to just burn my business. Would such a thing be allowed on this community?

Thank you for taking the time to read my topic.

Edited by TranXify
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I personally believe that most of extortion TODAY is done through ransomware, public exposure or disgrace. These tools proven more effective, than standard extortion methods mentioned above. You see burning down a business or defacing it, is rather counterproductive. As the owner has to spend money on rebuilding if the wish to continue the business, if not they will simply pack their few and move elsewhere, probably stop doing business altogether, either way....it's mafia's loss too. So far the most effective extortion is, security company. Yeah I know it does not look like a protection racket today, but it started as one. You want to either scare your target or convince them, it is YOU they should pay money. You don't want to ruin their business, cause if you do. You are not getting paid.

Extortion in and of itself is common. However, what I always suggest is to have a valid and realistic escalation.

33 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

. You want to either scare your target or convince them, it is YOU they should pay money. You don't want to ruin their business, cause if you do. You are not getting paid.

Coming in to say "Hello, please pay us." only to "Well, they didn't pay so we burned their business and killed everyone that came near it." is just a very unrealistic portrayal. 

Come in, offer people your 'services'. If they refuse, give them reasons to think they actually /need/ your services. Send people to ruin their openings, smash windows etc., have them think that security is necessary. Burning a place down over that is overkill and unrealistic.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 3
Just now, Fenrir said:

Extortion in and of itself is common. However, what I always suggest is to have a valid and realistic escalation.

Coming in to say "Hello, please pay us." only to "Well, they didn't pay so we burned their business and killed everyone that came near it." is just a very unrealistic portrayal. 

Come in, offer people your 'services'. If they refuse, give them reasons to think they actually /need/ your services. Send people to ruin their openings, smash windows etc., have them think that security is necessary. Burning a place down over that is overkill and unrealistic.

Prettz much yes, but then carbombs or a photograph of one's relative or even starting a brawl and someone "luckily" defuses it? These things work too. Well yeah no carbombs on the server :)

Nothing wrong with extortion in any area, like it has been mentioned; IC issue. Should be treated that way. I don't think we should regulate the areas you're allowed to do that sort of crime in anyways. Extortion is something that can be executed and treated in so many diverse ways. There are stupid ways to both do it and handle it, and there are smarter ways to go about it.

I do agree though - to the whole deal about escalating quickly and unrealistic. That's why, on behalf of illegal faction management we also try to advise people that wanna escalate too quickly - to slow it down and roleplay scenarios and escalation out properly. This is very much up to the individuals though, but we can point you in the right direction.

I am involved in a large racket of extortion ICly and it's a huge part of my roleplay and for many of the people involved with my character as well. I think this is fine the way it is, it's an important aspect of the server and creates unique RP for illegal roleplayers, business owners, and police. It's mainly an IC issue unless people purposefully go to unrealistic means to get their way.

Edited by Shanks
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Fenrir said:

Would these mobs then be required to provide security guards during openings? It's not really convincing the business that they need "security", but more so convincing them that you'll be an absolute nuisance if you don't get paid. Business owners put a lot of effort into merely getting their businesses up and running, and a whole bunch more to keep them running. The simple act of causing brawls/fights/problems even if you have a security company contracted will end up ruining the opening. Even if you have a security company contracted, you'll be forced to pay the mobs to simply not get your openings ruined.

Also, money aside, is it really fair for those mobs to control how you run your business when you've put a lot of OOC effort into getting your business up and running? I've seen business owners who are forced to comply to certain terms from other illegal factions (such as avoiding certain opening times or changing policies).

Edited by TranXify
10 minutes ago, TranXify said:

Would these mobs then be required to provide security guards during openings? It's not really convincing the business that they need "security", but more so convincing them that you'll be an absolute nuisance if you don't get paid. Business owners put a lot of effort into merely getting their businesses up and running, and a whole bunch more to keep them running. The simple act of causing brawls/fights/problems even if you have a security company contracted will end up ruining the opening. Even if you have a security company contracted, you'll be forced to pay the mobs to simply not get your openings ruined.

Also, money aside, is it really fair for those mobs to control how you run your business when you've put a lot of OOC effort into getting your business up and running? I've seen business owners who are forced to comply to certain terms from other illegal factions (such as avoiding certain opening times or changing policies).

No, protection racket normally doesn't work like that. Yes they can hire security service, yes the owners of a club can be "coerced" into signing a contract. But standard racket works like this: Owner pays a group for protection, nothing happens unless someone from the club calls the people they are paying to, they actually need help with a brawl. It all depends on this. A single call. Someone causing trouble? You just call them, they send a car with some boys and they come and drag that idiot outside and beat him up. Which is pretty much obsolete now, especially on the server, where every club and bar has a security group (unrealistic to me tbh). If a bar or a club is extorted by a group, that actually provides protection. A bouncer or bartender usually have a phone number of someone from that group. Could be a capo or an enforcer, someone capable sending out a car with 4 guys on moment's notice.

Edited by Engelbert