Languages & Metagaming

Shaderz

2 hours ago, Jura said:

Only way to sort this is to report the person you believe to be MG'ing/PG'ing.

This is the solution. Do we need a new script? Nope. Just report the person and get them off the server. There seems to be this misconception that when people aren't RPing their characters correctly, or are going as far as blatantly breaking rules that via MG/PG or whatever, that we need some script to nullify their ability to do so. Not true. Just report. Get them off the server because if that's the kind of player they are, I don't want them here. You shouldn't want them here. It's just that simple.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Syrike said:

So Albanian is mentioned here, the problem with Albanian is that once you have heard an Albanian speak and discover they are speaking the Albanian language then you are going to recognise other people speaking Albanian. It doesn't really sound like other languages. To me at least the dialect is unique and not like anything else.

You are wrong. I am an Albanian speaker, and I have a hard time understanding Albanians that live 30 kilometers north-east of the capital (who not only speak my language, but also are part of the same dialect that I belong to), where I live. It amazes me how I struggle understanding my own people, but these guys are able to understand all of us so easily. 

This comes from a person who graduated in foreign languages & linguistics, in the Faculty of Foreign Languages, in the branches of Italian & English.

I've also lived in Italy. Sicilian, Calabrian and Neapolitan dialects (which are more like languages of their own) are barely understandable if you happen to know Italian fluently, yet people metagame that as well, by understanding all of these Italian characters from the southern areas, or from other regions which may or may not happen to have a dialect.

I would be more than willing to assist in any possible solution or script implementation on languages with my knowledge, if needed.

Edited by Daquan Kingston
5 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

This is the solution. Do we need a new script? Nope. Just report the person and get them off the server. There seems to be this misconception that when people aren't RPing their characters correctly, or are going as far as blatantly breaking rules that via MG/PG or whatever, that we need some script to nullify their ability to do so. Not true. Just report. Get them off the server because if that's the kind of player they are, I don't want them here. You shouldn't want them here. It's just that simple.

the act of metagaming isn't necessarily intentional or with malicious intent, proving the latter usually is pretty difficult too. so whenever there are tools (e.g. /melow) that remove metagaming out of the equation (intentional or unintentional), i'm all for it.

Just now, Five-oh said:

the act of metagaming isn't necessarily intentional or with malicious intent, proving the latter usually is pretty difficult too. so whenever there are tools (e.g. /melow) that remove metagaming out of the equation (intentional or unintentional), i'm all for it.

It doesn't matter. If you're breaking the rules, you're breaking the rules. And that's it.

It's been brought up repeatedly already about word sharing between languages, and frankly, I'm not willing to give up the ability to make that connection in character if I know out of character that two languages have a word that's either the same or similar. Because that's killing any sort of actual tension that could be brought to situations. Situations are broken if I'm seeing a bunch of jibberish and they just open fire if my character speaks a little Spanish and can pick out words like "matar" from what they're saying. That builds tension. That builds scenes.

If you want to speak in this coded language that you and only two of your buddies speak, for a screenshot thread that never gets updated, what's the point? It's just playing to win.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Daquan Kingston said:

You are wrong. I am an Albanian speaker, and I have a hard time understanding Albanians that live 30 kilometers north-east of the capital (who not only speak my language, but also are part of the same dialect that I belong to), where I live. It amazes me how I struggle understanding my own people, but these guys are able to understand all of us so easily. 

This comes from a person who graduated in foreign languages & linguistics, in the Faculty of Foreign Languages, in the branches of Italian & English.

I've also lived in Italy. Sicilian, Calabrian and Neapolitan dialects (which are more like languages of their own) are barely understandable if you happen to know Italian fluently, yet people metagame that as well, by understanding all of these Italian characters from the southern areas, or from other regions which may or may not happen to have a dialect.

I would be more than willing to assist in any possible solution or script implementation on languages with my knowledge, if needed.

On the italian part I gotta agree, I live in Milan and I am romanian, lived in Rome for 2 years and I still can’t pick up most of the dialect words there. I even have a cousin that’s in Venice, if she speaks in dialect guess what I cannot understand a single word of what she is saying. Common italian is a thing though, you’re bond to find someone that speaks fluently and explain to you dialects or anything you might need. The more you go south though the harder it is to understand the locals, most of them don’t know ‘common’ italian and just speak their own gibberish which is like a sub-language. So it’s even more complex than knowing a language.

6 hours ago, Daquan Kingston said:

But what was suggested here was not understanding, it was recognition.

• Applaud 1
11 hours ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

I also know OOCly these Albanians are from Club Royale, but do you see Reilly sharing that? No; because she doesn’t know that.

Seems like you don't know it OOC too cause you're wrong.

@Daquan Kingston nailed it.

10 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

folded-hands-emoji-mfidie.png?fit=960,960&ssl=1

Listen to the American Psycho. These kind of players' actions speaks volumes about their mindset to a roleplay server, that kind of attitude does no-one any favours here. 

• Thanks 1