Popularize Political Roleplay

np

Disenfranchisement for convicted felons who served their sentence isn't universal or widespread, at all. It'd be best if such an issue was left at the consideration of whatever legislature the server implements.

I fail to see how a political system would automatically be hijacked by criminals; considering the above, and the fact that you don't see gang shotcallers in state legislatures IRL (though you sometimes see different kinds of criminals).

Edited by arrdef
  • Upvote 1

As a big voucher for Political RP, I have to say that sadly, Election RP is the main event of everyone who wants to RP in politics. Beyond Elections, what waits for you is a lot of forum work, so people need to think long and hard before commiting to such roleplay. If forum works is not your cup of tea, then I'm sorry to tell you that, that is your peak of roleplay after elections.

Edited by Gambler
13 hours ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

I said it before and I will say it again, the complete lack of an elected legislative branch like a Senate or City Council renders the government faction illegitimate.

You're free to run as distric representative and if you can put together a legislation draft, you're most likely to succed. City Council is formed by district representatives. You're also free to apply for any position within the government and check for yourself. 

PS: This is not PR-RP, and I've been your mayor. I know you.

District representatives can interact with the community in the field, as they do IRL. There's unions being set up, there's at least two city agencies operating in game, etc. It'll always involve a lot of forum RP, but it is incorrect to say forum work is the "peak of roleplay". Sessions can also be held in-game, etc. You can be involved in that style of roleplay without ever holding an elected office.

As long as it's allowed to thrive, political RP will branch out and affect all parts of the servers, and be approachable from in-game venues.

Edited by arrdef
3 hours ago, jcat said:

An election that might make some excitement is Sheriff.  The Sheriff is a directly-elected position, and Sheriff Department policies will have a fairly immediate effect on people.  Then again, if we do elections, we'll have to keep track of who can vote.  Anyone with a felony conviction loses the right to vote, and there are a lot of characters with convictions.  I think this will open up a bigger can of worms, like how to keep a small group of players from manipulating the election system to get into office and set policies that enrich themselves, than it will solve.

With law enforcement being without a doubt one of the most vital, important, and public factions on a server, trusting the leadership of the faction to a popular vote of a random individual would potentially destroy the organization and with it, the community. Unlike real life, where political parties typically choose their candidate, where command structures are valued and listened to, and where actions of figure heads are watched every single second... faction leaders have a serious degree of automony of their faction. Leadership is everything in factions. 

4 hours ago, Samuel said:

With law enforcement being without a doubt one of the most vital, important, and public factions on a server, trusting the leadership of the faction to a popular vote of a random individual would potentially destroy the organization and with it, the community. 

Sounds just like real life.

• Upvote 1

I would definitely enjoy more political roleplay. I've enjoyed my IG encounters with the Department of Finance and if there was some type of election or maybe even city council or state legislator (not sure if there is one already). A lot of unique roleplay around that.

9 hours ago, Gambler said:

You're free to run as distric representative and if you can put together a legislation draft, you're most likely to succed. City Council is formed by district representatives. You're also free to apply for any position within the government and check for yourself. 

PS: This is not PR-RP, and I've been your mayor. I know you.

My current character isnt the political type and tries to stay away from it. So Im not gonna run, that would be unrealistic.

What exactly does PRRP have to do with this and the fact that the government is illegitimate without a proper legislature?

Political roleplay is something you can do yourself anytime. Political roleplay is not a one-way road, in reality, politics usually reactive people because that is how you can crawl up votes. Personally I would love to see a minimal political activity from the average players as well. A newspaper about politics, influencers who will organize movements, protests, even riots maybe. There is a million way you can bring political roleplay into life and just as in real-life you should not wait until someone do it for you. 

If you wish to promote green things then feel free to create a nonprofit company and organize protests about the green laws or anything. The opportunities are endless but have to say, it will take a lot of effort from a small group to mobilize people. 

Personally I would love to see civil organizations for example. Something like WWF, Red Cross, anything. Start the political roleplay, don't wait for it. 

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic