Disable profile music autoplay

Luna

Hi,

I already briefly discussed this with @Everett on discord who told me that he's going to look into it, but I wanted to post it here as well. While I understand that it's a really fun feature to add music to your profile page, having it on auto-play can be triggering for people with mental health issues such a myself. As such I'd greatly appreciate it if an opt-out from autoplay could be added to the forum options or else have autoplay be disabled completely.

Thank you in advance.

(If an admin/developer wants a more in-depth explanation of how it's problematic for people like myself, feel free to message me and I'll elaborate. I don't feel elaborating further here on a public forum for private reasons.)

Edited by BinaryRun

++++support

a button to opt-out would be great, the sounds never fail to startle me and it's only been live for an hour. very nice little feature but i don't go on people's profiles to have my heart rate boosted by 30bpm

Edited by joshua
12 minutes ago, BinaryRun said:

That only works in some browsers (like firefox) when music is actively playing.

Use a different browser then, Google Chrome mutes the whole site regardless of whether it's playing audio.

7 minutes ago, Jovis said:

Use a different browser then, Google Chrome mutes the whole site regardless of whether it's playing audio.

No. A website administrator cannot expect their users to start using a different browser when a new feature isn't well received by a portion of the community. Besides, would an opt-out be harmful?

Edited by BinaryRun