Mapping Guide

• Developer
43 minutes ago, jesscatXD said:

Okay, maybe you could help me as to how to use Copy and Paste Rotation in PMs- I could never get that to work, myself.

Starting your build out on a straight axis, without rotating anything is actually helpful for a couple different reasons. Not only do walls and floors both always spawn in straight or at a 90 degree angle to where you need them, but when you move things around, it's not going to be moving diagonally. Such as, when you duplicate a wall and move it to one side, it won't move in such a way as to create a rogue edge or visible overlap which then needs to be fixed.

For that reason alone, I think avoiding rotating your first piece makes the entire job a lot easier. I can add about the /fur command tho that's a good shout..

Regarding the .41 being a large movement- since you're subtracting .4 from the movement after the .41, you're only actually moving the thing by an increment of .01, which is a little cheat that Adero and I use to fix the twitch without creating a visible line.

If anything else comes to mind lmk!

Copy rotation then fsearch a new wall and just paste it. Do not open the BUY menu as it resets the rotations copied.

As for the 0.20 value, when I got to edit something really minor to remove overlap, 0.2 is smaller then 0.4 it wont move by 0.04 what you may think, it moves 0.41 from the original location so moving it 0.2 is smaller 

• Thanks 1
Just now, St3fan[NL] said:

Copy rotation then fsearch a new wall and just paste it. Do not open the BUY menu as it resets the rotations copied.

As for the 0.20 value, when I got to edit something really minor to remove overlap, 0.2 is smaller then 0.4 it wont move by 0.04 what you may think, it moves 0.41 from the original location so moving it 0.2 is smaller 

Oh okay, that's simple enough- I'll definitely give that a go as I've never played around with that function before.

As for the movement being larger, I do realize that. I used to speed all the way down to the lowest (.20) every time, as well. With this method, what you're doing is moving the item at .41 once in all directions, then moving the item the exact opposite way at .4 once, in all directions.

It works the same if you were to speed all the way down to .21, move once in all directions, then at .20 (the lowest) moving once in the opposite directions. It's subtraction, so either way, (.41minus .4 or .21minus .2) you end with a total positive movement of .01 in one direction. Sorry if I'm doing a bad job at explaining, but I know for a fact that this works well in game and the movement is much smaller than if you were to just speed down to .20 and move the item once, because that creates a visible line.

There's a few more tips here i posted, it might be helpful to add them?

Regarding not rotating the first floor, i think you should instead emphasize copy/pasting everything in relation to it. This allows people to build inside buildings accurately and avoids odd angles in relation to the view outside.

Also .2/.21 has slightly better accuracy given the speeds inbetween them, but the point is taken.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, BabyFelon said:

There's a few more tips here i posted, it might be helpful to add them?

Regarding not rotating the first floor, i think you should instead emphasize copy/pasting everything in relation to it. This allows people to build inside buildings accurately and avoids odd angles in relation to the view outside.

Also .2/.21 has slightly better accuracy given the speeds inbetween them, but the point is taken.

Hey there! I didn't know about your guide, wow. It's so much more in depth that I might just link it in my post for ppl who need that more in depth explanation.

In regards to the copy/paste function, I'll add in that alternate way of doing things, but I still can't get it to work. I can copy and paste one item, which is essentially just a less convenient duplication, but it doesn't work when I /sf for a different item. It just spawns in on the original axis, where unless you didn't rotate your first floor, it's going to be moving around diagonally when using the movement keys.

13 minutes ago, jesscatXD said:

Hey there! I didn't know about your guide, wow. It's so much more in depth that I might just link it in my post for ppl who need that more in depth explanation.

In regards to the copy/paste function, I'll add in that alternate way of doing things, but I still can't get it to work. I can copy and paste one item, which is essentially just a less convenient duplication, but it doesn't work when I /sf for a different item. It just spawns in on the original axis, where unless you didn't rotate your first floor, it's going to be moving around diagonally when using the movement keys.

That's cool, and i appreciate the issue you raise.

If you copy position/rotation on object x, when you /sf and load object y it will still load relative to the world axis but having used /sf, you still have the copied values to paste on object y.

As stephan mentioned if you enter the buy furniture menu though it will erase the copied xyz values i hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, BabyFelon said:

That's cool, and i appreciate the issue you raise.

If you copy position/rotation on object x, when you /sf and load object y it will still load relative to the world axis but having used /sf, you still have the copied values to paste on object y.

As stephan mentioned if you enter the buy furniture menu though it will erase the copied xyz values i hope this helps.

Got it, that makes sense.

Turns out, the duplicate function allows you to move things straight now anyway (didn't used to be that way), but where my tip does sometimes help is when you buy furniture using /sf or going through the buy menu- If you build on the angle that the furniture spawns in at, most items will then move straight left-to-right and such within your interior.

Your method is valid, however, and some people will definitely prefer to build on their own angles. Thank you for clarifying that and for the feedback! ?

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...