Create Rules Around Extortion

Torlo

There needs to be a rule set for extortion, one already exists for robbing stores (Admin permission is required). In just the past two days alone at Rob's Liquor we've had random groups of two friends or maybe a set of six people trying to extort the store. This is totally ridiculous and unrealistic, it's one thing if a big gang or mafia with power in the area tries to extort a store, that makes sense. But allowing a group of two or six friends to extort a store on a daily basis is insane. There needs to be some sort of rules created around extortion just like robbery, since now you need robbery permissions now people just try and extort instead. There should be rules either requiring admin permissions to extort a store or requiring to have a faction with a certain amount of members or power within the area you're extorting.

• Upvote 2

I support this.  Realistically we'd be protected by those extorting us so they keep their income.  If we have to explain that we've already got someone five times a day, and the faction has no one on to defend it, it puts us in an awkward position.

This is an IC issue.

However, what I would say in the IC aspect - extortion should be a two way street. My character has four local shops that all oblige and pay a weekly extortion fee. In return, my character sorts out their issues at hand, legal or illegal. 

If you're annoyed about the 6/7 man squads trying to extort you, let yourself be extorted by the big dog and have them deal with it IC.

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, Kojo said:

I support this.  Realistically we'd be protected by those extorting us so they keep their income.  If we have to explain that we've already got someone five times a day, and the faction has no one on to defend it, it puts us in an awkward position.

This exactly, we have people come to try and extort us even though we're currently being extorted by a major faction. In reality the group extorting is would stop others from doing it. But since time zones exist on the server and for some reason saying "We're already being extorted" doesn't matter to them and they still want the money since they can't rob us because of the rules.

Just now, Alexion said:

This is an IC issue.

However, what I would say in the IC aspect - extortion should be a two way street. My character has four local shops that all oblige and pay a weekly extortion fee. In return, my character sorts out their issues at hand, legal or illegal. 

If you're annoyed about the 6/7 man squads trying to extort you, let yourself be extorted by the big dog and have them deal with it IC.

It is, but what happens when the six/seven man squad come by when we're already extorted by the big dog, but they're not online?  We can't call them like we could realistically.

2 minutes ago, Alexion said:

This is an IC issue.

That's exactly the issue, like I stated in the reply above time zones and the fact that people for some reason don't care if we state "Hey man, we're being extorted by a big crew." is a major issue. It makes zero sense that crews of two people are allowed to try and extort since they're not allowed to rob without perms.

I get and appreciate both your points. But again, IC issue.

If you can't call them at the time because they're not online? That's your character's problem. Not everyone picks up the phone realistically either. You need to let them know when they pick up their next extortion fee. It doesn't make any sense from your POV but it's the foundation of illegal roleplay that there are conflicts and disagreements. Let these issues play out through the roleplay rather than an OOC rule set.

Edited by Alexion
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Alexion said:

I get and appreciate both your points. But again, IC issue.

If you can't call them at the time because they're not online? That's your character's problem. You need to let them know when they pick up their next extortion fee. It doesn't make any sense from your POV but it's the foundation of illegal roleplay that there are conflicts and disagreements. Let these issues play out through the roleplay rather than an OOC rule set.

We want to keep roleplay, but would you not say it's unrealistic to not be able to call on those who're suppose to be protecting their assets?  I know I'd want to expand on the roleplay.  Would it not be better to have a confrontation between the two gangs, instead of the store just being the messenger once a week saying "Oh, and the latino gang down the street are pushing us to pay them".  

Instead there could be guards at the store itself, like there would be in this situation.

35 minutes ago, Kojo said:

We want to keep roleplay, but would you not say it's unrealistic to not be able to call on those who're suppose to be protecting their assets?  I know I'd want to expand on the roleplay.  Would it not be better to have a confrontation between the two gangs, instead of the store just being the messenger once a week saying "Oh, and the latino gang down the street are pushing us to pay them".  

Instead there could be guards at the store itself, like there would be in this situation.

In all seriousness, no, it's not unrealistic to not be able to call on those who're supposed to be protecting you. My character is an anomaly, he enjoys working and helping those who he promises via extortion methods. Most couldn't care less as long as they got their money.

I doubt your character knows the entire story. Populated areas, like Vespucci for example, have rival gangs fighting over turf so they won't listen if someone else claims their spot. These smaller things do add up and I'm sure there's discussions in the background. Your best bet for your character is finding a time convenient for both parties to sit down - instigate the roleplay yourself if you need to. A good example I had recently was my character extorting a business owner on someone else's turf, in response the two parties sat down and made an agreement together. 

Edited by Alexion
  • Upvote 1

I support this. Extortion RP is realistic sure but many people on RP servers don't conduct it realistically and or do it to troll and annoy. Full fledged factions extorting, that makes sense. But random groups trying? DEFINITELY NOT.

It should be a rule that only factions can extort and then it has to be in there "turf", the turf could be the area that the players are seen a lot in and or a area where they own 2 or more properties (at least one should be a business). If the faction is operating within this area and has it confirmed that it is there TURF by FM, they are then allowed to operate extortion in that area.

This means that also the likelyhood is who is extorting you is actually going to be a good rper or a group of good rpers meaning the experience is more enjoyable.

9/10 extortion attempts I've seen throughout my time in RP over the past 6 years has been done by people that are bad rpers or getting themselves banned within a few months. With GTA world's already implemented method for how factions are created this could work effectively as they are already checked over.

I know we all need to RP based on situations IC'ly and cannot control everything. But a lot of extotion RP done that I've seen ruins the experience for players. Only maybe twice I've seen the extortion RP done as actually reasonable and not in a way that'd make me want to stop doing RP and or quit that business.

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic