Realistic use of radios

Aellerix

I've seen this happen and it just looks... wrong. People are running around, sitting at a bar and talking on /radio with other people are most likely doing the same. It's definitely an easy way to communicate but it doesn't feel realistic. I've never personally seen someone talk in a radio on the street, or in a restaurant, or at the mall. I'm really sure that most people who fall in this category don't roleplay the radios correctly, as actual radios, but rather use them as a global IC chat. Their characters are definitely not using actual walkie-talkies, they're definitely not in some huge group call and using hands-free headsets. It would be great if people were to abide by some certain (specific) regulations regarding the use of /radio. Maybe having to have a certain clothing item, or just restrict it to whoever actually uses radios (truckers and security guards, for example).

• Upvote 1

Personally I'd ask such people ICly why they were walking around with a HT and the sort. The /r everywhere mentality exists because people got carried away with having /r in the first place, and had no one to remind them both ICly and OOCly that what they're doing was (at times) PG and-- abnormal? I agree with the rule to force people who use radio to have a clothing item on them, could be the waist radio, shoulder-mounted, or even an earpiece. Anything to signal others that you're carrying and using one.

Hell, maybe even add a floating text above people's head (only accessible to a person standing literally next to the respective radio) to show radio conversation for certain radio types.

• Upvote 1

It’s certainly weird and should be frowned upon by administrators (if it isn’t the case already). It just kills the immersion in certain situations where Joe_Tyrone uses his radio in the middle of the hood as if it was a chatting application like WhatsApp. 

Some sort if restriction should be put in place, otherwise it’ll slowly become the trend across players with no serious intentions or development.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, should be more looked at. I saw civilians standing in front of me, talking casually on their radio like they were in a chatroom. Just imagine standing on the sidewalk and you see a thirty year old talking on a handheld radio like he is calling someone.

Even I in the LSSD am using the cellphone more and more. I don't have full blown conversations on the radio to figure Y or Z out. When I need to figure something out, I call. If I need help from another agency that is not an emergency, 

• mj2002 locked this topic