Revamping Arrests - Points based system

9 hours ago, Copacetic said:

Do better... You've been arrested twice since this system has been implemented, you're not very good at the criminal thing.

Nevermind at my last response. Didnt realise everyone gets a zero point start.

12 hours ago, r0yal said:

This will not increase jail activity; if anything it'll decrease it as more people are going to shoot their way out of scenes as to not lose their character.

They will not, as mentioned above, such behaviour equals CK. So if they do, they will lose their chars 100%. Life without parole isn't a CK, believe me in real life 99% of criminals would choose that over shooting themselves out, cause simply they don't wanna die. Shooting yourself out of a possible arrest could be also considered DM. Remember that :) Also we are not playing cops and robbers here, we are roleplaying here, that means a character does not react based on one's whim, if they do, it's poor portrayal.

Edited by Engelbert

This is going to do nothing but decrease the criminal roleplay that's just now started picking up on the server, and there's barely any at the moment. This is just going to kill off people's motivation to want to roleplay a criminal. It's way too much. It's still a videogame.

This won't increase jail activity. This won't increase paroles. It won't increase anything, I really don't see the point of it. People can already be CK'ed through murder, people can already face weeks upon weeks of jail time. This just sucks the life out of fun on the server even more.

Yeah, it might be realistic but in my opinion it's giving way too much power to police/the government. Way too much. I honestly feel like it'll bring "play to win" to a whole new level. Imagine a Police Officer slapping someone with so many charges off the bat just to throw someone in with 30 points instantly, and it's the persons first arrest? He's done.

Let people roleplay a character, let people have fun on the server and if they get caught a few too many times - who cares? They're still doing the time. If someone gets put in for robbing somebody and he's a felon, then he gets put in again for robbing someone, he gets even more fucked than the last already. I feel like that's way more than enough.

This /will/ effect criminal roleplay negatively, which is already so small already. Criminal roleplay is key to the server. We need more gangs, we need more mafias, we need more biker clubs. Not less.

Edited by AceS|

So. I agree with this, partially only so we don't get another Andrew Conway (for those that don't know, he had so many crimes his MDC page took literally 5 minutes to load and you had to scroll to get to the bottom). However I do think that there could be some improvements - right now, thirty seems really low, and as such it seems like "get arrested an arbitrary amount of times and you're going to jail forever." Is it actually a low number though?

I'd be interested in seeing some stats after the first month to make a more informed decision on whether this is actually beneficial. What I would say though, is that the points system alone is probably not going to deter people from committing crimes. One thing I have noticed is people going not guilty and 9/10 getting a plea deal. Sometimes that spits in the face of all the work done by the officers, especially when it comes to more serious crimes. That's a discussion for another thread though.

1 hour ago, AceS| said:

Imagine a Police Officer slapping someone with so many charges off the bat just to throw someone in with 30 points instantly, and it's the persons first arrest? He's done.

You're going to slap enough felony charges on someone to get them up to 30 points right away? Doubtful. If you do, then it's an IC problem and they were doing something very wrong to have that many felony charges all at once. Also, if it appears to be an issue of OOC abuse for excessive points, that's what RP quality / forum reports are for. I don't see the issue. Checks and balances exist for a reason.

1 hour ago, AceS| said:

Let people roleplay a character, let people have fun on the server and if they get caught a few too many times - who cares? They're still doing the time. If someone gets put in for robbing somebody and he's a felon, then he gets put in again for robbing someone, he gets even more fucked than the last already. I feel like that's way more than enough.

It eventually becomes an issue where IC'ly they have a rap sheet as long as the Empire State Building and they still get out after serving their time. No one with 4, 5, 6+ felonies is going to be out running around on the streets anymore. Eventually, the line needs to be drawn or it gets out of hand. Case in point, look at Westen's reply above. Referenced below.

30 minutes ago, Westen said:

So. I agree with this, partially only so we don't get another Andrew Conway (for those that don't know, he had so many crimes his MDC page took literally 5 minutes to load and you had to scroll to get to the bottom).

Edited by Chief

So I've been reading through this thread and I'm seeing a lot of people complaining that this will somehow end up killing all criminal rp, I disagree what this will do is show those people who rp a character with the criminal mentality of a vindictive toddler that their rp has consequences, it's really no different than a faction in a CK war except that it takes way longer. Your character shouldn't be seen as X amount of hours, it should be seen as your character. If your character had a fear that this time might be life behind bars then rp some fear, get someone else to do it or bow out. What I am seeing in this thread is that people want less ic consequences for their poor portrayal of a criminal.

Edited by Syrike
46 minutes ago, Syrike said:

So I've been reading through this thread and I'm seeing a lot of people complaining that this will somehow end up killing all criminal rp, I disagree what this will do is show those people who rp a character with the criminal mentality of a vindictive toddler that their rp has consequences, it's really no different than a faction in a CK war except that it takes way longer. Your character shouldn't be seen as X amount of hours, it should be seen as your character. If your character had a fear that this time might be life behind bars then rp some fear, get someone else to do it or bow out. What I am seeing in this thread is that people want less ic consequences for their poor portrayal of a criminal.

I see where you are coming from but surely if you have put in 200/300 hours on a character, worked your way into a gang, get guns, drugs, etc. And then you get sentenced to death or life imprisonment. 

I don't think this is going to slide well, having to put in all of them hours into that character for it to just basically be deleted?

Yes this should make characters related to gang activity show more fear for committing crimes, but after all it is part of who their character is. Therefore if they are held back by fear to commit criminal actions, isn't this gonna kill the criminal activity? Maybe even the player base...

So far it hasn't done anything like that, all it has done is put an actual end at the end of the tunnel for that character. There's nothing stopping people from namechanging once that story ends so they can begin another. As for losing a character with 200-300 hours played I lost a character myself before I joined the staff team, he killed a man and had a mark put on him (I feel like I need to put here that he didn't know about it), it shook him up afterwards and he began to notice things that were out of place, people he'd see around who shouldn't be there, this resulted in him leaving LS entirely. Now this isn't a CK but it was the logical end to that character as doing anything other than having him freak out and run or get killed wouldn't have made sense. It's the same with people who have a wrap sheet a mile long, stop looking at it like it's the end, it's not, it's just the beginning of a new story.   (Im typing from my phone, please forgive any typos.)

Edited by Syrike

The main reason why I see this being implemented is because of the people who fail to roleplay their criminal record, I quote Brett down below:

''To avoid people treating felonies like nothing, and going around with 10 of them on their record to just continuously harass LEO's and civilians and act like they're the most hardest people on the server.''

Is this not something that should be handled by the individual himself? If people fail to properly roleplay and constantly harass LEO's, should it not be up to the administrators to step in? 

People who will eventually rack up to the 30 points and will either get life, a CK or life with parole, will eventually find another way to get their pleasure. They can make another character or namechange and start off new. 

We won't be able to mimic this to real-life, we will never have people who have only a handful of charges or a clean record and I have never really been bothered by it. People who constantly evade or shoot for little reason should be reported. 

Nevertheless, I'll try the system out like I do with all the changes.