Revamping Arrests - Points based system

At the end of the day, it is a game - but it also isn't a cops and robbers server.

Poorly portrayed characters that exist to steal and kill will ultimately be the biggest victims of this system, as well as those who go to jail on a daily basis. The proposed system introduces a far more detrimental consequence to those who needlessly escalate crimes (e.g. petty thieves suddenly becoming murderers over a small amount of money, or guns being pulled in brawls, murder over verbal altercations, etc etc).

People become way too attached to their characters. You definitely shouldn't see it as "50 hours" down the drain, because ultimately your roleplay has led to those sanctions being imposed on your character.

The only draw backs I can see, as some people have covered already, are the additional strain on PD/SD with paperwork, which is already pretty cumbersome, and the fact people are more likely to shoot their way out of jail sentences - which again adds more strain to PD/SD who wish to pursue a CK and the admin team that deals with it thereafter. On the other hand, I do fear that it puts an awful lot more power in the hands of law enforcement.

18 hours ago, gimmie said:

Not exactly. I've been arrested twice and doing a rough headcount I'm already over halfway at a death sentence/life in prison.

Do better... You've been arrested twice since this system has been implemented, you're not very good at the criminal thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 2
2 hours ago, Havana said:

+1 on this.

Having the points stack up permanently might discourage new players also. Newbie Joe and his first 2 adrenaline thrill evasions is gonna get stuck with his mistakes. And if the 1 hr+ arrest process doesn't run him off, the difficulty of the lawyer/court case system, point system, and everything else will. 

Meanwhile.. What this system meant to do was to stop people from stacking up felonies over and over again, and having the same character out on the street two weeks later doing the same thing. Guess what? These people don't care if they take a CK for it. They will be right back with another throwaway character to do the same thing. Rinse and repeat. All this does is hurt criminal rp in exchange for more convoluted court cases. 

If they don't care, they'll take the CK. I've spoke with a lot of criminal rpers and they, along with myself, feel that it's important to take criminal roleplay seriously. It's not a cops and robbers server. It's heavy rp and it's time to address the concerns of people having multiple murder convictions and countless evading charges. 

1 hour ago, Omnia said:

This whole system relies on the assumption that the Courts are actually competent and/or realistic. Most likely it's headed by a bunch of law students at best or enthusiasts at worst... even then, the PD holds too much power. Cases are often thrown out and it's up to the cops to prove they're guilty, but in these servers often the cops have prosecutorial powers. If this is going to go ahead, we NEED them to clear. And get rid of the CK shit.

People IRL wait years on death row, decades even. If you insta-CK, there's no hope of appeals really. Maybe if the CK was just RPed as 'being on Death Row' and not actually having been insta-cuted.

I'd encourage you to do a little more research before posting remarks like this. They're incorrect and destructive. PD doesn't have unlimited power and are constantly checked on what they can and can not do. JSA isn't perfect but we've managed to put into place the only serious criminal justice system on any roleplay community. So again, I'd invite you to research a little more before basically insinuating that others are incompetent.

4 minutes ago, Copacetic said:

If they don't care, they'll take the CK. I've spoke with a lot of criminal rpers and they, along with myself, feel that it's important to take criminal roleplay seriously. It's not a cops and robbers server. It's heavy rp and it's time to address the concerns of people having multiple murder convictions and countless evading charges. 

It just feels like making something double illegal. Actually serious crimes like murder, rape, etc all  already required a mandatory court case already where a life (or death) sentence could have been handed out before this is implemented. As per the new criminal code someone would still have to evade the police 15 times before any new notion takes affect. This is an OOC issue of poor roleplay and character development. Assuming they're roleplaying their crimes correctly when they're happening it isn't law enforcement's job to police their character development even if they're "not very good at the criminal thing". We're there to provide roleplay for people, that's basically it. If someone was acting out in ways that weren't realistic or anything of the sort they could have always been taken to the forums or the integrity team for review.

Edited by Sush
29 minutes ago, Rozi said:

Shooting your way out of a scene is a very easy way to get your character CKd.

Plus, it's not long term jail rp, you can go out on parole. And you're jumping to conclusions, most people do not have 10 felony arrests.

Not if you win the shootout. Why would a criminal not take the 50/50 chance of being CK'ed in a shootout if they're going to get CK'ed anyway?

Life in jail seems extremely long term to me. Paroling out isn't just a command like you seem to think it is; if you're in on a murder charge you're not going to be paroled out that same week. Expect to be there for 1-2 months before you're eligible for parole. Even then it isn't guaranteed as it is a whole internal application process etc.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions— every charge adds up. When you're roleplaying a criminal daily for months you're bound to slip up and get caught several times, spelling the end of your character.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions— every charge adds up. When you're roleplaying a criminal daily for months you're bound to slip up and get caught several times, spelling the end of your character.

There's also more to criminal roleplay than jumping in a car with the squad and heading out to hit licks day in day out. If your character has been to jail multiple times and is nearing the point where they're looking at life in prison, that's an IC problem with an IC solution; get somebody else to do what you need them to do or be smart about it and not get caught.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Sush said:

It just feels like making something double illegal. Actually serious crimes like murder, rape, etc all  already required a mandatory court case already where a life (or death) sentence could have been handed out before this is implemented. As per the new criminal code someone would still have to evade the police 15 times before any new notion takes affect. This is an OOC issue of poor roleplay and character development. Assuming they're roleplaying their crimes correctly when they're happening it isn't law enforcement's job to police their character development even if they're "not very good at the criminal thing". We're there to provide roleplay for people, that's basically it. If someone was acting out in ways that weren't realistic or anything of the sort they could have always been taken to the forums or the integrity team for review.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way. I for one think that it's time to take our rp seriously. As for mandatory cases, they're in place as a safeguard from PD and SD having the very "prosecutorial" powers people don't want them to have. Under the current system, you're not forced to do anything as an illegal rpers. PD and SD however are held to account for bad arrests, improper paperwork and more. As for evading 15 times, yes... You would have to evade 15 times assuming by some miracle other charges are not filed. Not likely. This system is under very close scrutiny by JSA and FM and we will not allow people who have worked hard for their characters to be ruined by this system. This is meant to enhance criminal and law enforcement rp across the board. If it is found not to, we will discontinue the program. It is important for us as a community, not just administration, to do all we can to provide solutions for poor rp and enhance the general experience of our community.