Revamping Arrests - Points based system

3 hours ago, Fergie said:

Looks interesting, but I can't say I'm a fan of the points system. It's a game based around crime at the end of the day. Likewise, without a proper court system with a trial, judge & jury, points will be accumulated too fast. Detention, arrest and guilt is really at the PD/SD's discretion. I think this system would be AMAZING and work IDEALLY if we had a proper court system for EVERY arrest and crime. Even if forum based.

Did want to respond to this. There is a full court system for every arrest that anyone arrested is offered to participate in at their own discretion, and it's active. The whole system is explained here

1 hour ago, khaled said:

I'm not really a fan of forcing players to roleplay life in prison if they don't want to roleplay life in prison. It'll just cause tension between law enforcement and criminal roleplayers. I'll try to stay open-minded throughout this trial period to see how it works out, but, I just can't see this working without controversy and difficulty.

I can understand that, but at the same time most people aren't a fan of being able to get shot and have some of their roleplay erased, just because someone for no real legitimate reason decided to escalate a situation just to attempt murder on someone. You would be amazed with some of the criminal records we end up seeing. But this is why we're trialing, and working out kinks as we go along. But I will say we did run this by quite a bit of people on the Legal and Illegal side, and it was treated as a generally positive development. 

It'll prove to be detrimental to jail activity which is already fluctuating and, on average, scarce. Less people will take the opportunity to role-play with the police and will take the first exit out, which will be respawn after a shooting rather than get arrested.

It's a good system but it's a system that's being enforced without being too in touch with the vast majority of criminal role-players and factions who're just starting to flourish more in recent months. I agree that everybody's held to a standard, a standard where police role-players seek to give back quality police role-play and not to police the server and that's translated by giving everybody unique interactions. That doesn't happen all the time. It's a lot of power weighed on from a police role-player perspective and that used unwisely burns bridges between legal and illegal role-players.

It's important to raise the bar on what's admissible to go past JSA and what isn't on those who role-play police. It's hard to do that in the realm of this game where getting into long term investigations and palpable evidence makes people do the most rudimentary tactics, such as taking weird candid pictures of people standing on the corner of the street. It asks for much more stringent standards of performed arrests and it asks for factions to self regulate themselves in what kind of bookings they approve, and what they don't. I'm working on a system in the Sheriff's Department where supervisors review all bookings while this system flourishes to make sure charges aren't put up at random, stacked, or otherwise misinterpreted.

The concern I have with this system is the following — it asks for even more out of police role-players. Some people play for an hour a day around here. It usually takes longer than that to write and figure out what's necessary to do to properly file the necessary prerequisites to arrest someone. What this results in is an abundance of police role-players just giving up on arrests because they're too much work and not enough fun. I know for a fact I've role-played police on this server for six months and only made 3-4 arrests where there was no other way but to make the arrest. I also know for a fact it is known that arrests take up a lot of time on both the arrestee and the arresting person so we need to work out something that streamlines this process and makes it easy to understand, and easy to navigate. Else it's just cumbersome for something that's forum role-played when all we should be focused on is to keep people in game, keep people emoting, role-playing, and keep faction threads active with proof of those interactions, and overall entertainment.

All in all, it's good role-play. Politically speaking this opens the opportunity to hold some police command people accountable for crime rates so you've got a realistic system where sergeants, lieutenants and captains tell officers to start working on plea deals and on filing felonies as misdemeanors to reduce crime rates and court appearances for the departments. I know for a fact I'm going to do something like that where I role-play.

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2

I don't think this is a bad idea, but looking from the person who gets arrested side, it's already a huge pain the arse which can easily take over an hour per arrest, with you doing literally nothing. Add onto that the fact that if you get enough of them you now have to get 99999 days in jail until you get a case (Which can take a week or two to finish, sometimes more) and I wouldn't be surprised to see people just taking the death instead of the arrest

I do agree that player's actions should hold dire consequences, especially illegal actions. What I don't agree with is forcing death onto characters. Players should be allowed to decide between life in prison with the possibility of parole, or a state execution (CK). Forcing a CK ends the roleplay. Period. Characters who live as permanent residence inside correctional facilities can continue their story without their progression being stamped out. They still have to live out the consequences of their actions, but at the very least they can continue to gain development, and possibly even rehabilitation.

Roleplay should not be linear. Amassing an arbitrary 30 points, resulting in the distinct possibility of a forced CK adds linearity to the server's roleplay. I understand that it's a deterrent for players who lack fear RP, and conduct unfounded felonies as though it were just any ol' Tuesday, but that same deterrent exists when punishing players with life in prison. Giving players the ability to make their own decision on if they want to continue their character's roleplay inside the correctional institution helps to promote player-driven narrative agency, and allows players to continue their stories and development with the substantial hindrance, if that is what they desire.

7 hours ago, Fergie said:

Looks interesting, but I can't say I'm a fan of the points system. It's a game based around crime at the end of the day. Likewise, without a proper court system with a trial, judge & jury, points will be accumulated too fast. Detention, arrest and guilt is really at the PD/SD's discretion. I think this system would be AMAZING and work IDEALLY if we had a proper court system for EVERY arrest and crime. Even if forum based.

I am not sure about that, we ain't actually playing GTA here, we are roleplaying in GTA settings. But I have to  quote the latter, cause this way the jail will be filled quickly with life sentences, so it is up to management to tailor things up here accordingly to server population and legal system framework right? People playing criminals should think twice before doing something off the bat you know. This isn't 90s anymore, cops are not afraid of the mafia anymore and neither are judges. Crime does pay if you do it carefully.

This system however needs more players dedicated to actual portrayal of justice, from uniformed cops up to the judge. It's not only about criminals caught on the street, but also about those who actually roleplay their crimes properly, which needs CSI of course.

Cause you know, shooting a random person during a robbery is okay, but fingerprints on the casing will be there if you forget it on the scene and it does not matter if you had a mask or not. 

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

I do agree that player's actions should hold dire consequences, especially illegal actions. What I don't agree with is forcing death onto characters. Players should be allowed to decide between life in prison with the possibility of parole, or a state execution (CK). Forcing a CK ends the roleplay. Period. Characters who live as permanent residence inside correctional facilities can continue their story without their progression being stamped out. They still have to live out the consequences of their actions, but at the very least they can continue to gain development, and possibly even rehabilitation.

Roleplay should not be linear. Amassing an arbitrary 30 points, resulting in the distinct possibility of a forced CK adds linearity to the server's roleplay. I understand that it's a deterrent for players who lack fear RP, and conduct unfounded felonies as though it were just any ol' Tuesday, but that same deterrent exists when punishing players with life in prison. Giving players the ability to make their own decision on if they want to continue their character's roleplay inside the correctional institution helps to promote player-driven narrative agency, and allows players to continue their stories and development with the substantial hindrance, if that is what they desire.

CK's aren't just forced randomly on people, it's only for the major crimes. 99% of people would simply be given life. We just included the CK clause as there are some people who just commit super heinous actions that need to be dealt with, so this won't be much of a concern. 

2 hours ago, liq said:

It'll prove to be detrimental to jail activity which is already fluctuating and, on average, scarce. Less people will take the opportunity to role-play with the police and will take the first exit out, which will be respawn after a shooting rather than get arrested.

It's a good system but it's a system that's being enforced without being too in touch with the vast majority of criminal role-players and factions who're just starting to flourish more in recent months. I agree that everybody's held to a standard, a standard where police role-players seek to give back quality police role-play and not to police the server and that's translated by giving everybody unique interactions. That doesn't happen all the time. It's a lot of power weighed on from a police role-player perspective and that used unwisely burns bridges between legal and illegal role-players.

It's important to raise the bar on what's admissible to go past JSA and what isn't on those who role-play police. It's hard to do that in the realm of this game where getting into long term investigations and palpable evidence makes people do the most rudimentary tactics, such as taking weird candid pictures of people standing on the corner of the street. It asks for much more stringent standards of performed arrests and it asks for factions to self regulate themselves in what kind of bookings they approve, and what they don't. I'm working on a system in the Sheriff's Department where supervisors review all bookings while this system flourishes to make sure charges aren't put up at random, stacked, or otherwise misinterpreted.

The concern I have with this system is the following — it asks for even more out of police role-players. Some people play for an hour a day around here. It usually takes longer than that to write and figure out what's necessary to do to properly file the necessary prerequisites to arrest someone. What this results in is an abundance of police role-players just giving up on arrests because they're too much work and not enough fun. I know for a fact I've role-played police on this server for six months and only made 3-4 arrests where there was no other way but to make the arrest. I also know for a fact it is known that arrests take up a lot of time on both the arrestee and the arresting person so we need to work out something that streamlines this process and makes it easy to understand, and easy to navigate. Else it's just cumbersome for something that's forum role-played when all we should be focused on is to keep people in game, keep people emoting, role-playing, and keep faction threads active with proof of those interactions, and overall entertainment.

All in all, it's good role-play. Politically speaking this opens the opportunity to hold some police command people accountable for crime rates so you've got a realistic system where sergeants, lieutenants and captains tell officers to start working on plea deals and on filing felonies as misdemeanors to reduce crime rates and court appearances for the departments. I know for a fact I'm going to do something like that where I role-play.

There are discussions already under works to make it easier on law enforcement in terms of some of the things they need to do, we just have to be patient. This was not a system simply implemented on one persons whim, it was a system that has been discussed with a variety of individuals and groups over a span of weeks. People are very used to tradition, and systems like this generally can cause some bad immediate perceptions which may be ill-advised as it leads to conclusions that turn out to not be true. All we can do is be patient, work with everyone to make the system better for all, and move forward. And we're all willing to do so as long as stuff is given a chance.