Base for server realism.

TakeTwo

What is the current baseline for realism on this server? What do you think it should be?

From what I've seen this is a bit of a grey area and from observation most people base it on personal experience rather than do a little research as to how it works in California. 

I understand the need to alter things to facilitate rp by not being too restrictive but it would be nice to have a consistent answer. Is the server based on LA? 

For example:

Beach walk in Venice and vespucci in GTAV is pedestrian walkway. On the server I've gotten mixed answers as to whether it's a walkway or a road, even members of Law enforcement treat it differently. 

Gun use largely varies from place to place. As do gambling and alcohol laws. 

Etc. 

ADDED Suggestion: It's not realistic to create a wiki for everything in this server's version of SA. However, could a thread where people put up questions when there are inconsistencies in things on the server where the admin team/management can give a definite answer? This way a reference could be created for things on an as needed basis.

Edited by TakeTwo
Add suggestion in bold

I get it that we take inspiration from California and LA but realism does not mean imitation, and we can have realism without the need to imitate everything about California and LA. We can shape our world to work for us.

It should be obvious to anyone who has ever stepped in a car that the boardwalk on Vespucci is a boardwalk, not a road. People should focus less on creating the most closely bootlegged portrayal of California, and instead focus on having their characters act with a measure of common sense.

Edited by arrdef
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

Thanks for the thoughts. To be clear, I wasn't saying SA was LA I was posing what the base line is for discussion. I agree with all the previous posts, that's why I put this up. There is inconsistency in how people look at certain things. I had an IC argument with a lifeguard about it and there was no real way to say who was really right in that case. Just wondering as a rule of thumb..if it's not specified somewhere in the forum, do you air to the side of what is true to IRL or do people just make things up based on their own location as a reference?

Edited by TakeTwo
52 minutes ago, arrdef said:

It should be obvious to anyone who has ever stepped in a car that the boardwalk on Vespucci is a boardwalk, not a road. People should focus less on creating the most closely bootlegged portrayal of California, and instead focus on having their characters act with a measure of common sense.

Should be..but isn't.

There's a clear distinction between San Andreas and California, despite the obvious inspiration Rockstar took in crafting the game's environment around the real life counterpart.

San Andreas and California are definitely correlated in both mood and culture. They both have beaches and sunshine, as well as high rates of violent crime and wealth disparity. I've also seen people roleplay that there is a big movie industry in Vinewood that doesn't actually exist in-game due to the limitations of roleplay. With that said, it's not one-to-one. Realistically weed should be decriminalise if it was, but instead we have to go off of what works for the roleplay perspective. Basically, San Andreas is California so long as that realism also helps roleplay.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste