Latino-American Street Gangs

This is good work.

Adding onto the bit about tax free gangs, I think a point should be made that barely any exist anymore and haven't existed for at least 15 years. We don't have access to an up-to-date Mexican Mafia lista but it's safe to assume there are hardly any varrios on it nowadays. It's individual names, maybe cliques, and always for infractions against the reglas - not being tax free. Maravilla isn't really tax free anymore, and there are only rumors of some tax free 'holdouts' still existing as a sort of secret society. I haven't seen any evidence for it and it sounds weird, but also plausible given Maravilla's history.

Tax free gangs definitely need to be done carefully if they're to be realistic. Historically, they put a lot of effort into keeping under the radar (for obvious reasons). They weren't showy about it, except in their graffiti. Claiming to be tax free was very risky, as it put a huge target on your back for any varrio looking to score points with the mob, so it was more like a quiet resistance than a loud rebellion.

Edited by Large Hazard
  • Upvote 2
Just now, Large Hazard said:

This is good work.

Adding onto the bit about tax free gangs, I think a point should be made that barely any exist anymore and haven't existed for at least 15 years. We don't have access to an up-to-date Mexican Mafia lista but it's safe to assume there are hardly any varrios on it anymore. Maravilla isn't really tax free anymore, and there are only rumors of some tax free 'holdouts' still existing as a sort of secret society. I haven't seen any evidence for it and it sounds weird, but also plausible given Maravilla's history.

Tax free gangs definitely need to be done carefully if they're to be realistic. Historically, they put a lot of effort into keeping under the radar (for obvious reasons). They weren't showy about it, except in their graffiti. Claiming to be tax free was very risky, as it put a huge target on your back for any varrio looking to score points with the mob, so it was more like a quiet resistance than a loud rebellion.

Yeah, I'ma be adding more about that soon with more of an expansion onto Paisano street gangs too.

• 3 months later...