The problem of being new?

So a few days ago I was banned for a lack of RP, I'm currently awaiting the ban to be lifted... But it made me think, after going through some other ban appeals to see if I was different to others I realised that a lot of the time, new players to the server that were also new to RP were being banned for a lack of convincing RP, after reading the descriptions, many of them were valid reasons to be banned, but most of them could easily be preventable. I have searched through the first 10 pages of the forums, and I can't find anything telling new players how RP Really works, maybe putting a tutorial into the loading screen could help? like I didn't know about /me and /do and /b for at least my first 15 hours of play. A friend saw a post where a guy was banned for walking away from an admin during a /b chat, but he didn't know that he was an admin. Instead of discussing with him and showing him how it was done, he was banned. I can no longer find this particular thread to share, but I feel like It was important.

My situation at one point was similar; And I think it gives admins a bad name, damn, even I thought the admins were bad until I learned that the guy who banned me was right, If I'm wrong on any of this let me know, If you have any potential solutions please share, and If you have any advice for me on how to start my RP better any advice is useful.

(If you want to see my ban find it under the lv.3 admin 'Thirteen')

also this is my fist post on general so I'm so sorry if I've got this all wrong ?

• Upvote 1

Guess this is an issue for all the hardcore RP servers, where when you join the staff and the players expect a relative hight standard from you.

Happened to me too in lsrp server when I started, but I had the luck to join a faction willing to rise new players, so my suggestion for you is to have around you people that want to RP seriously

12 minutes ago, Daniel_Trevino said:

Guess this is an issue for all the hardcore RP servers, where when you join the staff and the players expect a relative hight standard from you.

Happened to me too in lsrp server when I started, but I had the luck to join a faction willing to rise new players, so my suggestion for you is to have around you people that want to RP seriously

Thanks alot, when (and if) I get unbanned I'm going to go back with my friend and hopefully make some new connections ? 

• Upvote 1

The server hits a stable 500-600 players upon peak hours, which is a staggering number of people for a text-based roleplay server. The server also tries to maintain the highest quality of RP it can. When there's so many people bumping into eachother and creating roleplay, as well as administrative incidents I can't imagine it'll be easy for the staff team to differentiate a "good" new player from a "bad" new player.  I think a "good" new player takes an administrative incident as a learning experience.

There are also a great many roleplay guides for new players to learn from, and I think the server's whitelist (the various questions you have to answer before joining) is also a great example of the server trying to not just sort through new players, but also climate adjust the ones who are entering. It might be an idea for the opening questionnaire to link some of those roleplay guides for new players to read through while they're waiting on being accepted.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
Just now, Fancy Toothpaste said:

The server hits a stable 500-600 players upon peek hours, which is a staggering number of people for a text-based roleplay server. The server also tries to maintain the highest quality of RP it can. When there's so many people bumping into eachother and creating roleplay, as well as administrative incidents I can't imagine it'll be easy for the staff team to differentiate a "good" new player from a "bad" new player.  I think a "good" new player takes an administrative incident as a learning experience.

There are also a great many roleplay guides for new players to learn from. Of course, having more couldn't hurt, and I'm sure they'll pop up in time. Additional to that, the server's whitelist (the various questions you have to answer before joining) is also a great example of the server trying to not just sort through new players, but climate adjust the ones who are entering. It might be an idea for the opening questionnaire to link a number of roleplay guides for new players to read through while they're waiting on being accepted.

That's a great Idea, I thought it was primarily to deter spam accounts and then to ensure players are serious, but a lot of my answers were pure guesses, If there was a simple slide by slide guide that told me that I could use /me /do /b /b-mc, Admin names are red and a few other things, the amount of time spent completing ban appeals by admins would drop considerably, instead this means more active surveillance of the server, which means that more people can in theory be caught with more serious offenses. just a thought?

58 minutes ago, Luca Etienne said:

So a few days ago I was banned for a lack of RP, I'm currently awaiting the ban to be lifted... But it made me think, after going through some other ban appeals to see if I was different to others I realised that a lot of the time, new players to the server that were also new to RP were being banned for a lack of convincing RP, after reading the descriptions, many of them were valid reasons to be banned, but most of them could easily be preventable. I have searched through the first 10 pages of the forums, and I can't find anything telling new players how RP Really works, maybe putting a tutorial into the loading screen could help? like I didn't know about /me and /do and /b for at least my first 15 hours of play. A friend saw a post where a guy was banned for walking away from an admin during a /b chat, but he didn't know that he was an admin. Instead of discussing with him and showing him how it was done, he was banned. I can no longer find this particular thread to share, but I feel like It was important.

My situation at one point was similar; And I think it gives admins a bad name, damn, even I thought the admins were bad until I learned that the guy who banned me was right, If I'm wrong on any of this let me know, If you have any potential solutions please share, and If you have any advice for me on how to start my RP better any advice is useful.

(If you want to see my ban find it under the lv.3 admin 'Thirteen')

also this is my fist post on general so I'm so sorry if I've got this all wrong ?

I'll see about putting one of the recent guides into the acceptance message, I just need to ask the people responsible. If you were wrongfully banned, you will be unbanned in no time. There is also the option to go through a staff report and get it expunged from your admin record if applicable. It's just we are experiencing a highly unusual intake of players, both old and new. Of course this also means more reports and a more thinned out admin team as previously mentioned. 

• Upvote 1

It's fine, I know what I did, The problem is, without understanding, I thought that the Admin was being Rude and unjust, and After a very bad ban appeal I can say I'm thankful I'm not permabanned for good

I think Especially with all the new players coming from EpicGames It'd be nice to have something in place to help. ?

I mean not at all to sound rude or condescending here. But the reason the white list application exists is to prevent people who don't know what IC and OOC even are from just hopping into the server and ruining everyone else's rp. There's a lot of servers that you can just hop into without an application and where you can get a basic grasp of rp concepts. 

Nah you don't sound rude don't worry, A lot of it is common sense tbh but I think that common sense only goes so far, My problem was Navigating things not knowing which /commands to use primarily but yeah, the server shouldn't expect this server to be a lot of people's second server, because in reality, a lot of people come here first time and if they go to another server, chances are they won't think twice about coming back. which would be a shame...

but Yeah what do I know I've got 0 clue ??

3 hours ago, Torlo said:

I mean not at all to sound rude or condescending here. But the reason the white list application exists is to prevent people who don't know what IC and OOC even are from just hopping into the server and ruining everyone else's rp. There's a lot of servers that you can just hop into without an application and where you can get a basic grasp of rp concepts. 

I was always under impression that by the time people get here, they already know how to roleplay, after all isn't the application for that exactly? To determine whether or not your have been to roleplay already? Trust me even "seasoned" roleplayers had issues with passing that point back in the days.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 1