GTA:W Wiki

mj2002

Having a page with literally every command available would be perfect and I think best when multiple people can contribute, rather than a forum post where there is only one editor.

So much information can be on the wiki and will hopefully be easily searchable, referenced, and maintained. There's some really helpful information on the forums but sometimes understanding etc can require multiple pages that don't all so well link together. 

GTAW can be a massive change for some people and they can easily be overloaded with information, adding in a wiki with everything detailed would be perfect.

I'm willing to help contribute to the wiki.

Edited by Tree
  • 2 weeks later...

the main problem with wikis is having enough people who care and bother enough to update them and unless the new players are directed in the wiki automatically they're not gonna bother to look for one and the players who spend few hours with it eventually will find out what they need to do, plus it's not really something complicated that would need a wiki, in my opinion

EDIT: the only way I could see a wiki working is when people do /help or /helpme they are directed to the wiki instantly

Edited by TJones
5 hours ago, TJones said:

the main problem with wikis is having enough people who care and bother enough to update them and unless the new players are directed in the wiki automatically they're not gonna bother to look for one and the players who spend few hours with it eventually will find out what they need to do, plus it's not really something complicated that would need a wiki, in my opinion

EDIT: the only way I could see a wiki working is when people do /help or /helpme they are directed to the wiki instantly

People come into channels like #newbie-help constantly asking questions, because the information they're looking for is not concentrated in a single location. Either there's a guide for it, or there's a feature showcase, or it is only in the changelogs, or its somewhere in the Discord chat history, or its not listed anywhere at all. When someone's linked the wiki once, they'll know where to go for this sort of information. This is why every decently sized gaming community has a wiki.

As for having enough people to update it, I see no issue there. There's thousands of players, and usually the updates that are released are rather small, making updating the wiki a trivial issue. The challenge is getting it up and running with enough information to be relevant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • mj2002 locked this topic