GTA:W Wiki

mj2002

Link the group effort to start a wiki

I think GTA:W would benefit from having a Wiki.

Right now, a lot of information is hard to find, usually hidden in different and incomplete guides which makes navigating between relevant ones a challenge for someone who is not familiar with GTA:W. The benefit of a wiki in addition to guides and help channels is that a lot more people can update relevant information, so when something changes, the topic starter (and staff) aren't the only ones responsible for updating the details. In the newbie-help channel, articles can be easily linked and from there, new players can further explore semi-relevant information as well.

This would combine information from existing guides, and the knowledge of veteran players into one easily accesible location, formatted in a way that everyone is familiar with (Wikipedia) and can be easily updated.

I would imagine this is mostly relevant for providing information regarding;

Mainly ingame mechanics unique to GTA:W (not in vanilla GTA5), all from an OOC perspective:

* Available commands and their function

* Different menus, their structure and utility

* Other interface information, such as the system for map markers

* Almost IC details, such as where to go for what type of service or products

I believe that it might not be useful to also create articles for IC information on a Wiki, since;

* There are plenty of resources available already, such as facebrowser and various forums

* It could also lead to another way in which meta-gaming is possible

* It could disincentivize actual roleplay in specific circumstances

Overall, I think it is worth considering as it would improve new player experience, and assist those trying to help out new players as well.

Sorry if this is not the right (sub)forum, but this one came closest.

Any thoughts?

Edited by mj2002
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

I pushed this idea to the developer team but we agreed that it is a better idea to keep every guide in one place. Since the forum is already utilized for the same reason, we don't believe we should make a dedicated platform for this. 

But if you have any idea how we could make the necessary information more accessible, please share your thoughts. 

31 minutes ago, liafriuli said:

I pushed this idea to the developer team but we agreed that it is a better idea to keep every guide in one place. Since the forum is already utilized for the same reason, we don't believe we should make a dedicated platform for this. 

But if you have any idea how we could make the necessary information more accessible, please share your thoughts. 

The problem is that guides don't really benefit from article links like a Wiki does. Even more important, not everyone can add to guides as easily as you can in a Wiki.

For example, as a new player, I have run into the problem that there are commands which are not apparent. I didn't know they existed. For each instance, I have to search through Discord chat history or a selection of questions posted here on the forums, or if I am lucky, find the guide. However, the basic commands guide in incomplete, the expanded one doesn't really add related information. Due to the way it is structered, and especially maintained, the Wiki approach is superior (in my view) and better guides new players.

A specific situation was 'smoking'. I didn't realize how this worked and why the smoking animation was giving me an error. I tried using the /inv command in an attempt to 'use' the items there, but this didn't work and I only realized later on that there was a second way to interact with the inventory. From searching through Discord and the Guides section though, I couldn't solve the problem in an easy way, because there's no guide to 'smoking' that I could quickly track down.

I'm not suggesting to get rid of guides, however, some information is best displayed in an article rather than a guide. Guiding a new player through their first few hours is a perfect set up for a guide. But, showing a gallery of car locations or clothing items or listing commands, that's better in a Wiki article. One more thing, the forum structure pushes older guides down, whereas in a Wiki environment, editors are in control and can give important guides or categories a promiment spot. A Wiki is more an information portal, forums are more for discussions.

Edited by mj2002
  • Upvote 2
On 5/22/2020 at 1:23 PM, mj2002 said:

A specific situation was 'smoking'. I didn't realize how this worked and why the smoking animation was giving me an error. I tried using the /inv command in an attempt to 'use' the items there, but this didn't work and I only realized later on that there was a second way to interact with the inventory. From searching through Discord and the Guides section though, I couldn't solve the problem in an easy way, because there's no guide to 'smoking' that I could quickly track down.

I had something similar happen during a robbery. Two masked guys came to me demanding my phone, which I RP’d, but for the life of me I couldn’t work out how to hand it over. I was trying /inv, /dropitem etc. I asked for help in /b and was told “Dude just drop it from your inventory! Stop stalling!”. In the end the cops showed up (turns out the two guys had attempted the robbery on someone in the same place beforehand)... cue much insult directed at me through PMs. I was fully expecting a forum report from them, all because I didn’t know to hit ‘i’ to open the inventory!

On that basis I’d definitely support a more comprehensive guide to commands!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope this can get some attention. I have experience with maintaining and contributing to wikis aimed at communities such as this one. I am willing to assist and put time into making this a valuable resource. The guides on the forums and on Discord are great, but for the most part they are not easy to find, incomplete, a pain to maintain by the community, sometimes outdated,  and formatting wise inferior to what a wiki can offer. Particularly for commands and mechanics, this would be greatly beneficial to both new and veteran players.

Edited by mj2002
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 10:50 AM, Mike. said:

I had something similar happen during a robbery. Two masked guys came to me demanding my phone, which I RP’d, but for the life of me I couldn’t work out how to hand it over. I was trying /inv, /dropitem etc. I asked for help in /b and was told “Dude just drop it from your inventory! Stop stalling!”. In the end the cops showed up (turns out the two guys had attempted the robbery on someone in the same place beforehand)... cue much insult directed at me through PMs. I was fully expecting a forum report from them, all because I didn’t know to hit ‘i’ to open the inventory!

On that basis I’d definitely support a more comprehensive guide to commands!

I think that was me.....

sorry

?

• 4 weeks later...
  • mj2002 locked this topic