/createscene usage

I've been getting a lot of mixed opinions on the /createscene feature and I just want to avoid any possible accusations of "Script abuse".

If I have, for example, a Limo sitting outside a club waiting for hire and I RP taking a sign from the trunk and displaying it beside the vehicle, me standing with the sign. Would it be considered abuse to use /createscene 30 HOLDING SIGN SAYING: Limousine with Chauffeur available for hire - Starting @ $300.

If so, what are the acceptable circumstances for /createscene if not for RP signs and notices? Other than.. creating a scene.

/createscene is here to give information that should be visible but aren't, and are really important for everyone's roleplay. Advertising isn't a part of it, it is indeed script abuse. I'll update the command to add a warning about it.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Nervous said:

/createscene is here to give information that should be visible but aren't, and are really important for everyone's roleplay. Advertising isn't a part of it, it is indeed script abuse. I'll update the command to add a warning about it.

Would that also include life guards using /create scene to say which flag would be displayed in regards to if the ocean is safe or not for swimming?

Why would it be script abusing if people who do use it RP creating actual sign of sorts? So far /createscene has been a great command that has found multiple uses on the server and quite honestly I don't see a issue with using it to RP placing down signs either, especially since you can place only one createscene so it's not like certain players can clog the general area with createscenes.

• Applaud 1

I always think of /createscene as an alternative /do for scenes that last longer and have effect on more than just a couple of players. As an example, we regularly remove manholes all around the map as a part of our sanitation roleplay, and as a result we oftentimes resort to using /createscene because many people pass by us, and it'd be a real pain to type out the same /do over and over again when that happens.

As long as you use it in a sensible and mindful manner, you should be golden - at least in my opinion.

1 hour ago, DjoleK said:

Why would it be script abusing if people who do use it RP creating actual sign of sorts? So far /createscene has been a great command that has found multiple uses on the server and quite honestly I don't see a issue with using it to RP placing down signs either, especially since you can place only one createscene so it's not like certain players can clog the general area with createscenes.

Create scene is wonderful! I think it's great, just some of the examples I've used it for both in Rage and in the GTMP days:

- Placing fire hoses 

- Setting up Lifeguard flags

- Putting a for sale sign on a parked car

- Describing a car crash

- Placing safety / hazard warning tapes and barriers

- Putting up a sign that says 'no entry'

In all cases I roleplay getting the equipment I need, making the item and putting it together. It's great fun and it's also really useful.

I don't see a problem with using it to setup a sign with an advertisement, as realistically you'd be able to see that in real life but can't ingame! It's like me putting a for sale sign on my parked cars as I did back in GTMP days. 

1 hour ago, colorlessrainbow said:

I always think of /createscene as an alternative /do for scenes that last longer and have effect on more than just a couple of players. As an example, we regularly remove manholes all around the map as a part of our sanitation roleplay, and as a result we oftentimes resort to using /createscene because many people pass by us, and it'd be a real pain to type out the same /do over and over again when that happens.

As long as you use it in a sensible and mindful manner, you should be golden - at least in my opinion.

Sanitation roleplay! That's really cool. I like the idea of seeing workmen operating in a manhole. Keep it up ?

• Upvote 1

90% of the usage I've witnessed is signs. Whether outside a bar stating entry fee and age requirement. Or in a business giving instructions on menus etc. Why would signs be an issue? These are all forms of "advertising" and representation of things that would be visible if not for script limitations. Why make it script abuse when it helps rp?@Nervous

16 hours ago, TakeTwo said:

90% of the usage I've witnessed is signs. Whether outside a bar stating entry fee and age requirement. Or in a business giving instructions on menus etc. Why would signs be an issue? These are all forms of "advertising" and representation of things that would be visible if not for script limitations. Why make it script abuse when it helps rp?@Nervous

I also have the same question, why cannot we use it for something like a sign?