The Roleplay Quality Has Dropped

Torlo

Ever since this EPIC games thing we've gained a tremendous amount of players and it looks great on the client and all, but working at Rob's Liquor for a few hours in the past few days the quality of new players has dropped drastically. I had two people come in who either didn't know how to or didn't know what a /me was, they never used one. Not to mention that the amount of bans in the past few days has significantly increased. Has the white listing standard gone down? We should focus on quality and not quantity, player milestones don't concern me the RP does.

Edited by Torlo
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

This has been happening gradually for a couple of months now. I've seen it but that's what happens when the server reaches 400-500 players daily. There will be a few bad seeds here and there, but that's why the RP Quality Team / Administration is here for. Usually fixes the problem by just /report'ing it. 

Everyone starts somewhere — nobody comes into text-based roleplay as an expert from the get-go, it takes a while to get accustomed to things. Instead of belittling people, you should offer guidance and give them tips on how to improve. Although I do agree with you on one thing; people should have at least a basic understanding of /me's and character development. There's a multitude of guides that can help people improve their roleplay as a whole, for example https://forum.gta.world/en/index.php?/forum/33-guides/&page=2

You'll always get people who slip through the cracks after the application phase, that is inevitable. But like you pointed out, they'll eventually get figured out by members of staff.

Edited by Declan
  • Applaud 3
2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Everyone starts somewhere — nobody comes into text-based roleplay as an expert from the get-go, it takes a while to get accustomed to things. Instead of belittling people, you should offer guidance and give them tips on how to improve. Although I do agree with you on one thing; people should have at least a basic understanding of /me's and character development. There's a multitude of guides that can help people improve their roleplay as a whole, for example https://forum.gta.world/en/index.php?/forum/33-guides/&page=2

I never said they should know character development in depth before they join the server or the ins and outs of how to make an interesting character. But when you don't know how to use /me that's not someone who should be accepted on here.

• Upvote 1

There's no such thing as a "whitelisting standard" regardless of how well you enforce it. Having been a member of the staff team, I personally accepted applications of players that seemed to be elitist top-tier roleplayers on their applications but turned out to be absolutely awful at roleplaying in-game. The only tried and true method of clearing out such cases is through in-game reports.

You can never truly know how well someone is at roleplaying through just an application that they filled out in no more than twenty minutes.  This shouldn't be a problem if there was a community effort to report all cases of that nature. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Torlo said:

We should focus on quality and not quantity

This is said all the time but the reality is that the quantity matters and a lot more than people think it does. The server shouldn't focus or prioritize any of the two, but find a balance where while maintaining or even increasing the quality, they are able to increase the numbers simultaneously. 

New and inexperienced players shouldn't be outright banned. I understand it may be frustrating to work in a place and have newbies come across you, you want quality roleplay and so do we all, but how are these newbies expected to learn and improve? The same place they are now is the same place most of us were a few years ago, they deserve a chance and that chance doesn't always have to come from admins, but the players themselves too.

Did you come across a player who is new and doesn't know how to properly roleplay? Offer guidance, assist him, mentor him, answer questions. Don't jump to reporting him immediately without trying that first. Is he not willing to learn even after you have tried? Report. 

• Upvote 1

Speaking from the support side of things, we're experiencing an astronomical increase in the amount of player applications we're handling. No one is intentionally sacrificing quality for quantity. We have high standards here and that hasn't changed. Where normally one or two bag eggs are slipping in, you have three times that as there are limitations to how much you can assess about a player from six questions. Many of the staff members have been being more strict than normal on applications that we're accepting to try to combat this, but there's only so much we can do. My suggestion is to immediately report these players in-game or file a forum report with RP quality management.

3 minutes ago, Chey said:

Speaking from the support side of things, we're experiencing an astronomical increase in the amount of player applications we're handling. No one is intentionally sacrificing quality for quantity. We have high standards here and that hasn't changed. Where normally one or two bag eggs are slipping in, you have three times that as there are limitations to how much you can assess about a player from six questions. Many of the staff members have been being more strict than normal on applications that we're accepting to try to combat this, but there's only so much we can do. My suggestion is to immediately report these players in-game or file a forum report with RP quality management.

That's totally fair and I understand that, however I haven't made an application in over two years so I'm unfamiliar with the questions being asked. Does it include questions about basic rp concepts? If not, it should.

7 minutes ago, Torlo said:

That's totally fair and I understand that, however I haven't made an application in over two years so I'm unfamiliar with the questions being asked. Does it include questions about basic rp concepts? If not, it should.

It does.

It includes 3 advanced scenarios on top of all the rules questions.

However as you can imagine every applications, even if it takes 3 hours to write, have their limits.

You are our wall against noob and bad roleplayers ingame, through your /report. We instantly ban new players who have no RP knowledge. Making a thread to complain about it without reporting them will not solve anything.

There are currently 200 applications per day instead of 50, so it means that while usually we could have 2-3 bad apples coming ingame, we now have x5 this amount so potentially 10 per day. Most of them will give up very quick, the others are banned after a /report. All it takes is 2 minutes of player awareness to /report and let us ban them once we spectate them.

So I'll repeat this again and again, /report. There is no perfect application system and there will never be. People cheat, people ask friends, there will be few bad apples, it's your role to detect them and ours to ban them.

Obviously a lot of new players also means a lot of potentially good roleplayers but not as good as you or others here who have spent two years roleplaying with our values. It's also your role such as ours to teach them and make them improve. More new players means more of them, we're not going to completely close the server just because there are new players. The staff team is working very hard to handle it, we expect you to do your part of the job in this community too.

/report.

Edited by Nervous
  • Upvote 5