Educational establishments RP

Briutas

I want to see and ask if anyone has had any experience with RP'ing an education establishment or if there are people interested in creating such project.

I want to hear experiences, lessons learned, suggestions on how such project could come to life and what you would like to see from such project in the server.

I think it would be cool to have a college in the server with different staff and subjects to learn. Perhaps those studying various subjects irl would be interested in rp'ing lecturers and sharing actual knowledge in IC classes thus not only providing cool character development opportunities, but also passing down some interesting knowledge in a fun way! I also think such project would be of enormous value to legal RP as from what I have seen alot of players don't have much to do and end up driving around looking for conflicts and killing each other.

So yeah, share or PM me your ideas!

Edited by Briutas

I’d find this interesting as long as it’s oriented towards adult education. The college already exists, all it needs is an interior. You could have an organization that facilitates flexibel scheduled lectures and what not that people can sign up for. For monetary gain they could even make a form of membership a requirement for a fee. This way you have classes that are free to develop as is, by the community for the community. You wouldn’t require a complicated organization with staff, merely the managing of the college and portrayal thereof. You wouldn’t need to stress about activity since the participants generate their own. This makes it so that you aren’t dependent on people to exist, and people aren’t dependent on you to participate. And it facilitates the creation of a new roleplay hub surrounding college, which can grow if the community truly has an interest in such roleplay.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I’d find this interesting as long as it’s oriented towards adult education. The college already exists, all it needs is an interior. You could have an organization that facilitates flexibel scheduled lectures and what not that people can sign up for. For monetary gain they could even make a form of membership a requirement for a fee. This way you have classes that are free to develop as is, by the community for the community. You wouldn’t require a complicated organization with staff, merely the managing of the college and portrayal thereof. You wouldn’t need to stress about activity since the participants generate their own. This makes it so that you aren’t dependent on people to exist, and people aren’t dependent on you to participate. And it facilitates the creation of a new roleplay hub surrounding college, which can grow if the community truly has an interest in such roleplay.

I was thinking the same. Since most people roleplay adults college is a little meaningless in the server. But yeah, courses, lectures that could even be paid per session and stuff. Is there a thread or anything for this college?

There was a high school back on LSRP years ago. It was used quite a bit for a minute, but then everyone got tired of it. The census was that people want to play a game for fun, not play a game where they sit in a class and learn after getting home from sitting in a class and learning all day IRL.

I'm not saying you should not try it, however offering college courses or anything of the sort is going to only reach a very small niche group of people.

Bruh you can do fun kahoots in the classes and that would be considered awesome in this server just couple of lessons to show you’re the best at something and then you can get hired idk to be the CEO at the biggest trucking company ? 

39 minutes ago, Chuck Lee said:

Bruh you can do fun kahoots in the classes and that would be considered awesome in this server just couple of lessons to show you’re the best at something and then you can get hired idk to be the CEO at the biggest trucking company ? 

That's a pretty cool idea tbh. I personally study Psychology OOC so If I decided to make a Psychology lecturer I could teach the very brief basics of Psychology and then at the end do Kahoot exam after which if passed characters would get qualification from an actual education establishment so it may have some credibility.

I would be down for this but under very specific circumstances. You would need to adapt this to the fact that in the end we are just playing a game.

For example, these colleges could lecture people specifically on criminology and both the Police Department and the Sheriff Department could make it a requirement to attend two or three days which would then be roleplayed as two or three full years (or whatever other degree they deem realistically fit). Same with the Fire Department, but fire science.

It would be pretty interesting to see something like this being done and it would certainly enrich the background and development of many characters that decide to follow this career path. Two or three days should not be a big deal. An issue I see is the scheduling of classes due to timezones, so that would definitely require a lot of out of character involvement and planning. 

All in all, I think we could give the above example a shot and see how it works. If it proves to be a success, then we could perhaps expand the classes into other subjects to cover more diversified sectors, but it all needs to be done slowly and patiently, which takes time.

Edited by Shaderz
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Fergie said:

There was a high school back on LSRP years ago. It was used quite a bit for a minute, but then everyone got tired of it. The census was that people want to play a game for fun, not play a game where they sit in a class and learn after getting home from sitting in a class and learning all day IRL.

I'm not saying you should not try it, however offering college courses or anything of the sort is going to only reach a very small niche group of people.

Well like I said, adult education is different. Especially when modeled in a way where you can jump in and out at will. LS-RP’s problem was an overly convoluted system with unrealistic infrastructure mandating that people literally spend 3 to 6 hours confined within a rather uneventful and inappropriately hypersexualized environment. Having a minimalistic organization behind the education center along with people who can sign up at will to host classes they are interested in followed by those who can pay a small fee to attend classes they are interested in will just offer another avenue of roleplay. Regardless of it being a niche, by taking away the dependency on persistent engagement you don’t have the same challenges. You simply have the facilitation of roleplay, something worth trying. It’s even better if companies actually recognize courses and generate further demand for them. 

• mj2002 locked this topic