Issues with "security" portrayal at businesses.

shiroq

I wasn't sure how to word the title to make it obvious. But this has been bugging me for a very long time, why are security companies are basically hired mercenaries?

At most of the clubs you will have security that comes from a big company and most of the time you will have at least one PF holder. There is already a massive abuse of PF guns where majority of the people just apply for one and use it like it's an airsoft pistol shooting people left and right without any consequences or actual rp of taking a life.

Clubs and bars do not hire armed security it's not a thing, absolutely anyone can be a bouncer and they do not need a special license except the ability to handle their job. So why here on gtaw security companies are basically like small mercenary armies?

Worried about weapons being taken into the establishment? You can pat people down, search their purses and what not. Nothing is stopping people from doing that. Yet everyone is fine with just "Id please, cash please. Good to go"

• Upvote 4
  • Applaud 2

Happens when people treat that kind of business as a source of income instead of a source of RP and development I guess. It doesn't take long to research how actual private security firms work (specially in venues like bars and clubs) to properly portray them in GTAW.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

It may seem like an issue, but you might take the variety of people visiting such establishment into consideration. Cause in 8 out of 10 cases, someone in a club or outside a club will start something and in 6 out of 10 cases there's a gun involved. Then I am not sure where you live, but in my small european country least one bouncer on duty has a gun. What I see issues with is, that...they patrol the bar or club, I never seen any security doing that. Patrolling around guests dancing or drinking.

Edited by Engelbert
2 minutes ago, shiroq said:

I wasn't sure how to word the title to make it obvious. But this has been bugging me for a very long time, why are security companies are basically hired mercenaries?

At most of the clubs you will have security that comes from a big company and most of the time you will have at least one PF holder. There is already a massive abuse of PF guns where majority of the people just apply for one and use it like it's an airsoft pistol shooting people left and right without any consequences or actual rp of taking a life.

Clubs and bars do not hire armed security it's not a thing, absolutely anyone can be a bouncer and they do not need a special license except the ability to handle their job. So why here on gtaw security companies are basically like small mercenary armies?

Worried about weapons being taken into the establishment? You can pat people down, search their purses and what not. Nothing is stopping people from doing that. Yet everyone is fine with just "Id please, cash please. Good to go"

Yeah, I agree there's a massive abuse of PF guns. I'm in America and out of the 16 houses on my street, 4 of them are gun owners the rest don't own one.  We usually have cul de sac neighborhood parties for the kids from time to time, everyone knows each other on our street, I mean I live in your typical middle-class suburbs. 

Just now, Gloccs said:

Yeah, I agree there's a massive abuse of PF guns. I'm in America and out of the 16 houses on my street, 4 of them are gun owners the rest don't own one.  We usually have cul de sac neighborhood parties for the kids from time to time, everyone knows each other on our street, I mean I live in your typical middle-class suburbs. 

It's really not the point of that, yes everyone gets that we are in "America" here in Los Santos. But the problem is the lack of roleplay about guns. Your neighbour is not going to pop out his glock and put 20 rounds in some dude that is trying to steal his bike. The PF problem is the people that get it, sure like everywhere else there are some good roleplayers that rp a PF license properly. But majority don't and just treat it as an easy way to access a firearm because they are incapable of getting one illegally.

the PF problem is a logical response to a place with such a (comparibly) high crime rate.

I own a glock 26 IRL and have a CCW. Do I carry it every day? Fuck no, truth being told, it mostly just sits in my safe at the apartment because I don't really feel a need to carry it. But if I had about the same chance of being a victim of crime as in our fictional "los santos", I'd probably carry everywhere I go. You can make the (valid) argument that people should RP it's a much larger city and as such crime would actually not be nearly as high, but still that's how most people will play it.

I agree there's way too many PF holders, just not sure how to control it more than it already is.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, shiroq said:

It's really not the point of that, yes everyone gets that we are in "America" here in Los Santos. But the problem is the lack of roleplay about guns. Your neighbour is not going to pop out his glock and put 20 rounds in some dude that is trying to steal his bike. The PF problem is the people that get it, sure like everywhere else there are some good roleplayers that rp a PF license properly. But majority don't and just treat it as an easy way to access a firearm because they are incapable of getting one illegally.

Which is exactly what I wanted to say just now. There is quite an issue with PF abuse, cause many people who get it, actually want to use the gun and yes it is an easy way, not just to get one, but also to arm your friend.

It's not just an issue with security companies, but I'll keep it on point here. There are far too many people on this server who have zero issue with taking out a gun and killing people. It's a role play portrayal issue, first of all. Not everyone is Rambo or Terminator and a majority of people should want to steer clear from having to use a weapon, not just pull it out as a convenience.

Second, I used to work armed security in real life at a bank, then at a private residence as personal security, then at a high profile club in South Beach, Miami. Using my firearm was a last resort when all other avenues failed and even then, it didn't happen very often. Our method of threat escalation was to always involve police as soon as necessary and keep yourself out of harms way if at all possible. Most of my armed security guards never end up shooting their weapon, it's just a method to deescalate the situation until police arrive. People don't understand the amount of scrutiny an armed security guard goes through if they end up actually firing their weapon and injuring/killing someone. The scrutiny is often higher than that of an actual police officer. It's usually not worth it and avoiding that last resort at all costs should be the goal. Here none of those outside factors exist so it's like a game of air soft, with zero repercussions to a security guard firing a weapon and killing someone. Definitely needs to be visited and addressed.

Edited by Chief
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, bartman said:

the PF problem is a logical response to a place with such a (comparibly) high crime rate.

I own a glock 26 IRL and have a CCW. Do I carry it every day? Fuck no, truth being told, it mostly just sits in my safe at the apartment because I don't really feel a need to carry it. But if I had about the same chance of being a victim of crime as in our fictional "los santos", I'd probably carry everywhere I go. You can make the (valid) argument that people should RP it's a much larger city and as such crime would actually not be nearly as high, but still that's how most people will play it.

I agree there's way too many PF holders, just not sure how to control it more than it already is.

Again, carrying one is not the issue. But would you shoot someone in real life if you saw them trying to steal your car? I don't think you would. Taking a human life isn't as simple as pulling the trigger and the effects of taking a life are not as simple as going to sleep and forgetting all about it. That's my issue. I would be fine if they sold rifles to PF holders if people were capable of rping correctly. But instead we get these robots that decide that their cashier character will simply shoot their way out of every situation. That's the issue, I have no clue how it can be solved except of making the process of getting a PF gun much longer and more rp involving than it is now.

Just now, shiroq said:

Again, carrying one is not the issue. But would you shoot someone in real life if you saw them trying to steal your car? I don't think you would. Taking a human life isn't as simple as pulling the trigger and the effects of taking a life are not as simple as going to sleep and forgetting all about it. That's my issue. I would be fine if they sold rifles to PF holders if people were capable of rping correctly. But instead we get these robots that decide that their cashier character will simply shoot their way out of every situation. That's the issue, I have no clue how it can be solved except of making the process of getting a PF gun much longer and more rp involving than it is now.

I mean if I was -in- the car when you tried to steal it from me, probably yes because obviously I wouldn't know your real intentions. If it was just in the driveway? Probably not, no. It kinda depends on situation; it's always a last resort in a "Me or them" situation. But I get on how a lot of PF holders here are very gung ho and will just blast anyone for any reason because they know it's "legal" and their characters have 0 remorse for it.