[POLS] District Attorney - Saeko Nishijima

1379202296_Logocomplete.png.65ed9d2f6de8eabb6d3cfd6a385f96e1.pngDyIP59Q.png

DA Saeko Nishijima shows off her book collection.

The People of Los Santos

District Attorney - Saeko Nishijima

Elizabeth Rankin

The District Attorney - known by much of the law-enforcement and law-breaking communities of Los Santos. This week in 'People of Los Santos', we try to crack the exterior shell of the DA and discover the person that lies behind the endless piles of paperwork. Nestled deeply in Vinewood Hills, I approached the lavish home with some degree of caution - after all, if there is one type of person that a journalist is truly scared of, it's a lawyer. Perhaps unexpectedly, the District Attorney - Saeko Nishijima was dressed down and, aided by her assistant, welcomed me into her home. We briefly talked about her interests - an avid reader and a big 'car' person, already the façade I expected of the lawyer had crumbled. In the urgency of breaking the ice, I began by asking Saeko about her life.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Well, I'm an immigrant from Tokyo, who followed in her father's footsteps. I was around 10 when he died, and my mom and I had to move to America. He was a lawyer, too. Ended up growing up wanting to fill his shoes. I was a precocious little thing. Babyproofing didn't do a damn thing. I got my smarts from both parents. Dad was, like I said, a lawyer. Mom was a financier until she left that to stay at home with me. Japanese culture is very...Conformist. So a lot of my childhood is basically going to sound like every other kid in that country. A heavy focus on education, with what little time we had away from it on small in-country vacations. My family was wealthy, but they didn't flaunt it. 

Anyway, everything kind of shifted when I was ten. There was something of a scandal and my father didn't exactly make it through it all. My mom and I basically had to flee the country because of it, his name was too well known for us to live normally at that point. So we headed to the good old USA. From 10 to college, I lived in San Fierro. And let me tell you, that's a hell of a town. Saeko and I laughed - I had formerly lived near San Fierro myself, so it was good to have someone to share the frustration of the cities' cable cars with. A quick nod towards Saeko's current ZIP code taught me everything I needed to know about her wealth. She stopped me - reassuring me that she, indeed, was once 'normal', with most of her families money spent on the immigration process, forcing what was left of her family to nestle in Chinatown - for those of you that don't know San Fierro, be assured that it isn't a cheap city to live in.

But once we were here, things were mostly calm. Mom managed to get a job with a financial firm. Kept us mostly afloat. I did odd jobs around the neighborhood when I wasn't studying; the culture shock hadn't really set in, so I was still spending most of my time buried in education books. We got lucky when mom's firm ended up breaking an IPO. Stayed in our apartment, but I ended up having a college fund for when I did decide to take that plunge. Oh yes. Even if my roots had carried, and I'm thankful they didn't, I'd have been a hard worker. Even in Chinatown, it was still very different [To Japan]. I had more freedom. I interjected - asking if she thought her position in life now was down to her wealthy childhood; I think so. Quite honestly, I probably wouldn't be in this line of work had I not been born into what I was. I probably wouldn't even be in this country. I will say, though. There were hardships.

Rockford Hills City Hall - FiveM Snapmatic - Cfx.re Community

Then - I got lucky, was accepted to Vespucci University in Liberty City. One of the best schools in the country, at least for the law. Met my first love there, too. Unfortunately, we went our separate ways at graduation. I had a job offer here. A face of sadness washed over Saeko's face for a moment, she continued; and his major meant he was going to end up spending most of his time in Europe, both of us figured it'd be better to focus on where our lives could advance, as opposed to either of us following the other without their passion. 

Satisfied with the origin story - I extended my metaphorical dagger, asking her of her biggest regret in life. She offers a clearly strained smile, thinking back to her childhood, as she began to speak; Probably - not saying goodbye to my father when I'd had the chance. The biggest regrets in my life all stem from that time when I was a child. I felt responsible for what had happened, even though now I know it wasn't anything to do with me. She continued, albeit at this point, the moment felt a lot more sombre and the words became much more emotionally charged.

My dad was a - rather important prosecutor in Tokyo. He worked in the high court. Unfortunately, in the late 80s and early 90s, scandals involving confessions being coerced from people being held by police and prosecutors were coming out left and right. The entire country had basically come out to hate everything the justice system stood for, which led to reforms. But on the heels of it all, my dad was revealed to be part of a confession scandal that got the wrong person convicted of a double murder. So he left for the office one last time, and - Well. He hung himself in his office. My mother and I had had no idea. The news broke, and then he just - never came home.  Like I've said before, Japan is very...Conformist. What one does brings shame upon the family. My mother and I were outcast - and that's what led us to the states. So yeah. My biggest regret is not having been able to say a proper goodbye to my father.

Finally - I asked Saeko what she wished people knew about her. Of course. Thank you for taking the time with me. I appreciate it. It's good to be able to talk it all out. I guess I just wish people know that I'm a person. Obviously I'm a public figure. But as cliche as it sounds, underneath I'm still someone who has emotions. I know people tend to see us as just paper pushers that handle things the police throw them. But for me, Mr Hyde here, and everybody else at the DA office?

We bleed the same as everybody else.

Conducted and written by Elizabeth Rankin on behalf of LSNN.

NpL6naL.png

yGOZrEm.png

Edited by HaveADream
  • Upvote 4
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic