Non-RP driving is getting out of control and needs to be addressed

Trupiano

Alright, it's time to have a conversation about Non-RP driving and more specifically driving at unrealistic speeds. In the past few weeks, my faction has had five people ran over by different individuals. In most cases these incidents are caused because someone is going a ridiculous speed across town or on a straight away with little concern about pedestrians or on coming traffic. At first I tried to view these incidents as random, one off events but after tonight it's becoming increasingly clear that many players in the community don't see the need to drive correctly. They don't see the need to roleplay driving in a congested metropolitan area, instead any stretch of pavement longer then two blocks is an excuse to floor it to your destination.

Chamberlain, Morningwood, Vinewood. These are all area where multiple factions spend time RPing on the sidewalk or in front of their homes, if this was a server with AI traffic? We wouldn't see nearly this much speeding and disregard for RP but because there is nothing stopping these drivers from just flooring it? They seem to see little reason IC or OOC to slow down. Below I've created a map to better illustrate the issue.

bMokhMb.png

RED: Straightaways where players commonly speed and crash into Pedestrians, other vehicles and sometimes buildings. Yet have multiple intersections, high civilian population and in some cases are in areas where taking an expensive sports car is a unnecessary and a pretty Non-fearRP idea (See the Southside).

GREEN: Areas where speeding makes sense, offers little to no obstructions and because of the way GPS works, rarely brings other drivers on to the freeway. An ideal location for people to mess around where their sports cars with little worry about hitting a pedestrian or passing a PD vehicle hiding in a speed trap.

I am not against street racing and I'm not against speeding, what I am against is people driving at speeds upwards of 110 MPH, flying through intersections with no care in the world because they know the server doesn't have any AI vehicles that could possible cut them off and cause them to crash. We have players who are driving so fast that their own PC's can't load objects and players fast enough as was argued in the following video. The player stated that he was driving so fast that things weren't loading in properly and that he didn't see the people he hit till after he cleared the intersection: https://streamable.com/p8ickl#

Now, some people might say this is an IC issue or a law enforcement issue but I disagree. We can't hold PD responsible for arresting these people if these people aren't really RPing in the first place. This is a staff and management issue that needs to be resolved or at least looked into sooner rather then later. I'd like to know the communities thoughts, have you had similar incidents occur to you or your faction?

Edited by Henning
  • Upvote 11
  • Applaud 3

Unfortunately, you're going to get 50/50 from both sides. There are people who refuse to drive as if there were traffic on the road and insist that it's okay and others who feel it should be RP'd as if it were a busy, metropolitan city with traffic on the roads. I wish there were an official ruling made, but then people would complain that you're forcing them to RP a certain way, to take it IC and the arguments will go round and round.

Personally, I feel people should RP as if it were an actual city with busy, city traffic. You wouldn't be able to go down a busy road as you've highlighted in red in a real city at 100+ mph without having a full squad of PD on your tail. It just wouldn't happen. People do it here as if it's a normal action, which it isn't. I completely disagree with anyone who says that it is strictly an IC issue because realistically there would be PD everywhere in a city like ours. We don't because of differing time zones, different play times, etc. and that's an OOC issue. Definitely agree with intervention in this case.

I've started recording my game play because I'm tired of slowing down at red lights at main intersections in the city and being hit from behind from people going 100 down the road, all for them to blame it on de-sync. I can't really prove it either way but I know it's complete bullshit lol. They were just going too fast to see me slowing down and couldn't be bothered to RP the hit. It's very tiring.

Edited by Chief
  • Upvote 3

?
28 minutes ago, Henning said:

They don't see the need to roleplay driving in a congested metropolitan area, instead any stretch of pavement longer then two blocks is an excuse to floor it to your destination.

Screen_Shot_2020-05-12_at_9.43.12_PM.png

What crowded traffic on this big ass map? When was the last time you was stuck in traffic on Hollywood(Vinewood) BLVD for 30 mins ig?   I'll wait.

3 minutes ago, BigDrip said:

Screen_Shot_2020-05-12_at_9.43.12_PM.png

What crowded traffic on this big ass map? When was the last time you was stuck in traffic on Hollywood(Vinewood) BLVD for 30 mins ig?   I'll wait.

I'm not sitting here asking for people to RP sitting at stoplights for ten minutes or RP sitting in standstill traffic. How about you read my entire post before you jump on the first thing you disagree with.

37 minutes ago, Henning said:

I am not against street racing and I'm not against speeding, what I am against is people driving at speeds upwards of 110 MPH, flying through intersections with no care in the world because they know the server doesn't have any AI vehicles that could possible cut them off and cause them to crash.

I'll wait.

Edited by Henning
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Henning said:

I'm not sitting here asking for people to RP sitting at stoplight for ten minutes or RP sitting in standstill traffic. How about you read my entire post before you jump on the first thing you disagree with.

I'll wait.

Who said I disagree I just pointed out how you use "Congested", also he had the right of way it was green light on your video and you clearly had the red hand display on the crosswalk signal, lmaooo who does that irl? IF it was white and then turn red that's understandable but it was red the entire time, while the light was completely green.

Edited by BigDrip
Just now, BigDrip said:

Who said I disagree I just pointed out how you use "Congested", also he had the right way it was green light on your video and you clearly had the red hand display on the crosswalk signal, lmaooo who does that irl? it was white and then turn red that's understandable but it was red the entire time, while the light was completely green.

You are probably forgetting the fact that in GTAW you have to yield in every intersection and lights no matter if the light is red or green? Because of lights not being synced and it was never really tested to be fixed?

Just now, shiroq said:

You are probably forgetting the fact that in GTAW you have to yield in every intersection and lights no matter if the light is red or green? Because of lights not being synced and it was never really tested to be fixed?

that's not what admins told me lights are synced in , go ig and test it out yourself lol. 

Edited by BigDrip
1 minute ago, shiroq said:

Just now, BigDrip said:

that's not what admins told me lights are synced in , go ig and test it out yourself lol. 

It's in the IC penal code. @shiroq you don't need to stop at every intersection, only based on what the light is. See below.

1212.) If, upon approaching a junction containing traffic lights the traffic light displays a red light the driver must stop to other vehicles before continuing. If there is no other vehicles at the junction, the driver may proceed cautiously through the junction. If the traffic light displays a yellow light that is going to a green light, then it is to be treated as a green light. If the traffic light displays a green light, the driver is not required to stop, and may pass through the intersection without stopping. Shall be charged with the applicable Title IV charge. (EX: Reckless Driving, Negligent Operation of Vehicle, Vehicular Endangerment)

Edited by Chief
  • Selena locked this topic