Non-RP driving is getting out of control and needs to be addressed

Trupiano

I still think a simple solution is to apply speed cameras, but only have them function at the reckless speeding limit or higher. No need to ticket someone going 5 over just because the cameras are set that way. People argue that speeding is an IC issue, so apply a simple IC solution. Set the speed that the cameras react to at 20 mph or over the speed limit and punish accordingly. These kinds of cameras aren't power gaming. They exist in real life. I've been sent a ticket through the mail from one of these devices. It's all automated. No need to cause a ruckus and set them exactly to the speed limit, just help control the ones who like to blaze through a main city street at 100 mph. You can argue that people will learn the spots to slow down, but at least they are slowed down temporarily. It's better than nothing.

6 hours ago, Chief said:

I still think a simple solution is to apply speed cameras, but only have them function at the reckless speeding limit or higher. No need to ticket someone going 5 over just because the cameras are set that way. People argue that speeding is an IC issue, so apply a simple IC solution. Set the speed that the cameras react to at 20 mph or over the speed limit and punish accordingly. These kinds of cameras aren't power gaming. They exist in real life. I've been sent a ticket through the mail from one of these devices. It's all automated. No need to cause a ruckus and set them exactly to the speed limit, just help control the ones who like to blaze through a main city street at 100 mph. You can argue that people will learn the spots to slow down, but at least they are slowed down temporarily. It's better than nothing.

This is a great idea and, personally, I think is the optimal solution to the issue.

It'd be cool to script in a feature where high ranks in law enforcement factions can put these speed cameras up, and only have a finite amount available; five, maybe ten? (Maybe allow PD/SD to buy up to X additional ones — the faction itself, i.e. on a budgetary level, rather than individuals buying them — and make them expensive). 

This enables traffic enforcement oriented divisions (in both PD and SD) to adjust these as necessary (i.e. on streets that often feature 100mph+ drivers), while also preventing people from learning where exactly these speed cameras are (on LS:RP, speed cameras were in the same position for years and years until their eventual removal, resulting in people knowing where they can speed, and where they cannot). Since they are dynamic in nature, this provides an omnipresent traffic enforcement feature — one that does not stagnate. I think it's more than possible, script-wise, since law enforcement factions already have a speed radar, which allows you to set up a small-ish red circle that, when a vehicle drives through it, displays its speed. Could simply make the circle bigger to cover a whole lane/intersection/whatever.

I also think it's a good idea to make them activate only for vehicles travelling at a truly inordinate speed. 20 mph or over seems OK, but I wouldn't mind it being even more (30 or 40mph+). Drivers that go 10-15mph over the limit aren't really part of the problem at hand, so they can just be handled by actual players role playing law enforcement (e.g. Traffic Division).

I do agree, though, this is a big problem. As a PD faction member I see it all the time, and if we were to pull over every single person speeding, we wouldn't have much time for other law enforcement activities. There's simply too many people who do this. Another approach would be to massively increase the fines for speeding and other traffic violations. I feel that right now, people just shrug off most fines issued for speeding. A $2,500 fine really isn't that bad, nor is $5,000. In an ideal world we'd look at tripling (or even more) these numbers.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:54 PM, Exploits said:

I feel this thread is very much more concerned with players driving in absurd ways rather than characters who do so, and when in the realm of OoC, you need OoC buffers, reprimands, and solutions, instead of more rigorous IC options.

I really can't stress enough that some players have no issue or care in regards to losing their cars or money or even characters for what is ostensibly stunt driving, because that mostly only affects the character itself. You have to address the player in question.

This is also a great point — the fact the issue stems from the impatience of players rather than characters. Unfortunately I don't see many solutions to enforcing this on an out-of-character level. Admins can spectate, but that takes away their time to handle reports (which, arguably, are often more important). Perhaps admins can be given a command to toggle specific notifications of players speeding throughout residential areas at inordinate speeds for a prolonged period of time. That way, they can just spectate them for less than 5 seconds and make a judgment.

Edited by santaclaws
  • Applaud 1

I strongly agree with you.

This morning in under 10 minutes of driving, I saw many players driving recklessly and insanely bad. There is no good reason, they just drive like there is no tomorrow.

Not to mention yesterday I saw a sheriff, a fucking sheriff driving insanely bad. No sirens, was pretty chill, but it didn't look he was rushing to an incident. He must show example, not showing off. I get it cops can use their powers and go over the speed limit, but many just abuse it because they can. This is annoying.

My idea is that it should be something like a warning, if a player is reported for no RP driving, an admin gives him a warning by forcing him to use a regulator that goes no faster than 60 mph.

One thing on LSRP that as far as I recall it that prevented non-rp driving was the fact that they actually removed the possibility to respawn your car damage free. Meaning, you'd have your damaged car until you decided to pay for a Pay N Spray. All the accidents that happened on the server due to lag/unrealistic behavior was mostly paid by the one causing the issue. 

Doing that here would at least get mechanics more work, but also the garage owners deeper pockets. 

Edited by Qube
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Qube said:

One thing on LSRP that as far as I recall it that prevented non-rp driving was the fact that they actually removed the possibility to respawn your car damage free. Meaning, you'd have your damaged car until you decided to pay for a Pay N Spray. All the accidents that happened on the server due to lag/unrealistic behavior was mostly paid by the one causing the issue. 

Doing that here would at least get mechanics more work, but also the garage owners deeper pockets. 

That's a good idea. Unfortunately with rage in it's current state, I do not believe vehicle damage can be saved. It's purely client-side.

Hopefully in a future update, this will be possible. I'm not sure if they're planning anything like that for 1.1 though.

On 5/18/2020 at 6:16 AM, Qube said:

With this in mind, when it is possible to sync damage I'd like to see a drastic increase in the cost of repair for vehicles that are not listed as 'exempt' or currently insured. So, going to the repair shop costs a few thousand (maybe $2,000 to $5,000) for uninsured vehicles, and significantly less for insured or insurance exempt $250 or $500.

This would add tangible benefit to insurance rather than us just paying it 'because we have to by law'. Not only would it encourage paying insurance by providing these tangible benefits that make you find value in the payment, but it would also discourage poor driving due to the excessive cost to get repairs done every time a mistake was made.

The other solution I suppose would have to be to have admins destroy a vehicle when it is involved in a crash and uninsured. Not literally remove it from the player, but destroy it so they have to pay the 5% of car value to have it returned to them as if it were scrapped without insurance.

Edited by Wisci
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Wisci said:

With this in mind, when it is possible to sync damage I'd like to see a drastic increase in the cost of repair for vehicles that are not listed as 'exempt' or currently insured. So, going to the repair shop costs a few thousand (maybe $2,000 to $5,000) for uninsured vehicles, and significantly less for insured or insurance exempt $250 or $500.

This would add tangible benefit to insurance rather than us just paying it 'because we have to by law'. Not only would it encourage paying insurance by providing these tangible benefits that make you find value in the payment, but it would also discourage poor driving due to the excessive cost to get repairs done every time a mistake was made.

The other solution I suppose would have to be to have admins destroy a vehicle when it is involved in a crash and uninsured. Not literally remove it from the player, but destroy it so they have to pay the 5% of car value to have it returned to them as if it were scrapped without insurance.

Here Here

On 5/17/2020 at 10:41 PM, Chief said:

California doesn't seem to have speed cameras. https://www.ghsa.org/state-laws/issues/speed and red light cameras  

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 9.30.35 AM.png

• Selena locked this topic