Non-RP driving is getting out of control and needs to be addressed

Trupiano

Today I've literally seen @Moonsong place a label by the Trucker area, stating that It's an heavy industrial area where you need to drive with caution. Just as Moonsong teleports away, this blacked out Mule literally flies so fast I thought It was gonna send me to kingdom come by slamming into me. 

I feel like the place is so wild, there needs to be police stationed there 24/7 ( even tho It would be a massive waste of potential RP for them, as most of the drivers who zoom around barely RP ).

16 minutes ago, Moriarty said:

Today I've literally seen @Moonsong place a label by the Trucker area, stating that It's an heavy industrial area where you need to drive with caution. Just as Moonsong teleports away, this blacked out Mule literally flies so fast I thought It was gonna send me to kingdom come by slamming into me. 

I feel like the place is so wild, there needs to be police stationed there 24/7 ( even tho It would be a massive waste of potential RP for them, as most of the drivers who zoom around barely RP ).

Yeah, PD member here. Part of the issue with enforcing traffic law IC is that people who drive like this generally aren't great roleplayers in general, which makes the traffic stop pretty boring and irritating, and then we have to spend time doing paperwork, too, and... it's a lot of effort for people that will just pay the ticket and then immediately go right back to driving like psychopaths. That doesn't mean we don't do it, but I think we'd all get immediately burned out if we were pulling over every trucker (or bad driver in general) we saw that exhibits this behaviour; there's just too many of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I don't know, this discussion is as old as role-play itself (well, okay, as old as role-play on games which have cars in it, anyway). I've never seen an elegant solution that tackles the problem directly. It has always come down to players reporting to admins not just when they get plowed into by awful drivers, but when they see awful driving as well.

As a cop I almost always gravitate away from tickets. There's really only three potential eventualities when pulling somebody over:

• The driver is a good driver, but you've discovered a minor error in their driving and are now pulling them over. Regardless of how they role-play it (acting angry, for example), they do role-play it and it is an enjoyable interaction. This is relatively rare compared to the next two.
  • The driver is a good driver, but you've discovered a minor error in their driving and are now pulling them over. They now take it as an unnecessary and personal slight because, other than this one mistake, they almost always drive to the letter of the law, and would rather be on their way to their intended role-play. I empathize with this position a lot, admittedly, since I've seen some very basic stops go for upwards of thirty minutes. What if that player only has one or two hours of free time? That hurts a lot, and you can feel their dissatisfaction in their role-play. And I don't blame them.
  • The driver is decidedly not a good driver. They simply don't care. Your ticketing, suspending, or impounding of them and their vehicle will be utterly irrelevant as a teaching tool because they still won't care. If some of you could see the hilarious lengths of some people's infraction records, you'd understand how defeating this begins to feel.

Point 1 is ideal. Point 2 is common. Point 3 is far too common, and again, we're talking traffic stops where there's some notion of response. What about actual non-RP driving resulting in a collision? They're always 'OoC' until it's 'forced' to be IC: in which case, suddenly the 40 y/o married businessman character with two kids was actually totally willing to throw his life away to shave one whole minute off his commute time to Club Hotline, Mr./Ms. Admin, I promise you. It all feels so absurd and like a massive waste of time for all parties involved to make it IC, and now you're pulling in others who weren't originally involved such as law enforcement and oh God, the poor Fire Department ...

Honestly, player reports remain the best recourse. The admins here aren't dumb. If somebody gets flagged for unrealistic driving on the forum two or three times in a week, they're going to recognize the pattern/problem and take action. But you have to take the time to report. We can't be instantly jettisoning people from the server for one-time infractions, no matter how passionate the subject matter is. This is very much an instance of the community having to do their part if they want to see improvement.

All this said, I'm still mostly impressed by the quality of driving on this server, and maybe see 10-15 instances of outright insanity in a given 20 hour week out on the street with the server population at 150-300~ players.

Edited by Exploits

i'll be honest and say that i can relate to players who speed down areas that (appear to be) deserted. even at 500 players i'll be genuinely surprised every time i see another car unless i'm at a hotspot. with that being said, i don't think we'll ever see realistic driving from a majority unless smt like npc traffic were to be implemented - which i'm sure is not an option in the slightest.

anecdotal, but here's another bit: as a LEO rper i really don't see myself policing speeders too much. based on my experience, these types of players are really, really unhappy about getting stopped from going about their ways, and from there on the rp usually entails a whole lot of (rather blatant) ooc disdain.  

as weird as it sounds, i'd much rather stop and engage someone that's driving properly, but has a busted tail/headlight, dark tints, or displays suspicious behaviour. 

Edited by Five-oh
2 hours ago, JoeWarner said:

Voiding is a mutual thing, meaning if someone crashes your car and asks in /b to void you can refuse and if he just drives off that is power gaming and reporting him will get him punished.

So again speeding is an IC problem, people not RPing a car crash or PG skipping it is an OOC thing that you can simply report them for and trust me if they get punished for it once they won't do it again.

Are you seriously telling me driving 130MPH through a curved residential area is IC? I'm sorry, am I playing on a roleplay server on GTA or am I playing Need for Speed? The majority of sports car owners don't RP their driving ability worth shit. Are you gonna tell me everyone's a racecar driver nowadays? Dudes do top speed through Mirror Park in broad daylight not worried about taking anyone out or getting booked. There's no fear in it and it's piss poor RP.

• Upvote 2

@Exploits Made some great points, there is only so much the SD and PD can do to teach people who just don't care, whether it's on an IC or OOC level and are going to keep doing the same thing regardless to rush from a to b. I can sympathise that it's just not going to be an enjoyable experience for them to pull someone over who's not going to act like a reasonable character ic because 'gta'.

These are the kinds of players that don't value their characters lives and the kind of players we as admins, want to teach what we expect of them in terms of roleplay standards and correct their misconceptions. Whether that's driving standards, or job roleplay.

Unfortunately some people just don't get it, and want to do whatever they like to do under the banner of "it's all IC". Ideally yes, we want to keep as much as we can IC but with some of the insane driving I've been witness to that's not always an option. 

As for AI traffic, that's a nice idea but it would just cause unnecessary lag and fps drops, people complain as it is when it rains. I don't think having to deal with derpy AI traffic at best too is going work, it'll probably cause more problems than it solves. 

Edited by Moonsong

I agree with speeding cameras in those mentioned areas where exaggerated speeding happens most often. 

I do involve myself in a lot of those as a LEO in traffic division. It happens constantly and the more that I see adding to unrealistic speeding is the same ones that bait you into chasing them by speeding by you multiple times during a traffic stop. I usually ignore cop baiters as their RP is sour and poor.

Now we do have a lot of ICly ways to punish them fortunately. The only way I see this improving other than reporting it is the actual speeding cameras with hefty fines that are charged on the vehicle's license plate. 

Always been an issue on RP servers and barely any action's been taken towards the matter. I agree, it's so annoying every time I try to be responsible and drive like I do in real life and someone comes past you in 130 MPH in the wrong lane.

LSRP had this issue when I played there for 10 years. The only server I witnessed that had scripted something against it was Red Country Roleplay, they had speedbumps, speeding cameras and further more. Really impressive!

• Selena locked this topic