Non-RP driving is getting out of control and needs to be addressed

Trupiano

People should drive realisticly. I have an unrealistic amount of car crashes because other's drive as idiots and maniacs.

There are speed limits in place, and there are speed laws in place.

Sure, someone speeds, its IC. If 2/3th of the server drives this idiotic, its an OOC problem.

I am fully supporting the introduction of speedcams.

And to just make sure people actually roleplay the consequences of their actions, I never void the crash unless its a clear lag/desync issue. If they refuse to roleplay, I report them. And I firmly encourage people to start reporting bad drivers who refuse to roleplay aswell. Keep your recording on, and make a report when they dont roleplay the crash. Easly done and it will teach them a lesson.

Edited by Moonsong
Removed link to report, it's not necessary.

The people who are choosing to OOC'ly and IC'ly disregard their character's life and lives of others on the street should be subject to character kills over player kills. Whether it's a result of the impact or retaliation for plowing through pedestrians. Just my opinion, quite tired of it.

• Upvote 1

I think the worst part is that when they do crash into someone, in most cases they'll either drive away like nothing happened, or want to void the crash. 

If they do roleplay the crash, they seem to forget that they slammed into someone going 90+ MPH, and simply roleplay minor injuries and barely any damage to their vehicles.

I strongly dislike the blatant disregard for driving etiquette and laws. These people know they're playing a game and drive accordingly, which really makes it hard to take anything seriously on this server when the foundation isn't very stable. The least I'd expect from everyone on a heavy RP server is realistic driving, but... I can't even begin to compare the driving on this server to IRL, because there's almost no comparison. All I can say is "people IRL don't drive like absolute total morons with nothing to lose."

Another thing, as a LEO roleplayer, I don't want to interact with people who drive in the manners described here. Half the time, they're just going to run from the cops anyway. The other half of the time, if they do stop, they're simply awkward to deal with, because they've basically committed a series of misdemeanors, but roleplay like they've done nothing wrong... If they can roleplay at all.

As such, if I see someone driving like that... I typically ignore them, in favor of looking for someone actually interesting to roleplay with, who commits realistic violations of the Vehicle Code.

• Upvote 1

The character kill idea is an interesting one.  I don't know it'd be my preferred solution but I do think it would definitely work. Lol

My concern is, if you're not in the wrong and without video evidence, how would it be determined who was in the wrong? I mean I suppose it could be scripted to show the speed of both vehicles for the last X amount of time before turning stationary so an admin can review. But I'm not so sure that'd work all that well. And other than that without video evidence, it just turns into one person's story versus the other.

4 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Hence, said Mallrat who is driving unrealistically, should be dealt by admins, with something like a 3 strike system, 1st ajail, second ajail (longer than 1st time), 3rd ajail (longer than both 1st and 2nd time) + vehicle taken away due to failure to RP properly. I know people will get upset, but if people refuse to adhere to the rules, you need something that will make them adhere.

I think I prefer this idea better. It still provides admin punishment and it has a strike system. But still, I think the hardest part is in an instance without video evidence from any parties involved, how would admins determine who was wrong?

Cause for example I don't always record. And I'm sure a lot of people don't either. Some may not even be able to afford to always record because of disk space or lack of computer resources.

Just now, Scorgasmic said:

The character kill idea is an interesting one.  I don't know it'd be my preferred solution but I do think it would definitely work. Lol

My concern is, if you're not in the wrong and without video evidence, how would it be determined who was in the wrong? I mean I suppose it could be scripted to show the speed of both vehicles for the last X amount of time before turning stationary so an admin can review. But I'm not so sure that'd work all that well. And other than that without video evidence, it just turns into one person's story versus the other.

I think I prefer this idea better. It still provides admin punishment and it has a strike system. But still, I think the hardest part is in an instance without video evidence from any parties involved, how would admins determine who was wrong?

Cause for example I don't always record. And I'm sure a lot of people don't either. Some may not even be able to afford to always record because of disk space or lack of computer resources.

I never record, cause I am just playing a game. 

I joined this server in Oct. 2018 and I've been addressing shitty driving since then, and to be fair some things changed. Driving common courtesy is more... well, common and people actually stop, communicate with their lights or honk at you to let you pass etc. Though some people started driving like civilized humans, we still have certain people who refuse to drive like that, backing it up with stupid excuses such as "my character is a speed freak" or "my character can't drive at all".

Yes, stupid people get licenses all the time in real life, but they don't hop in their Ford Explorer with 700HP and twin turbos and start speeding. This server offers such freedom when it comes to driving and modifying your cars, that it feels unrealistic and I've been addressing that for a very long time. A massive problem is the grouping up of the community. People form into groups in certain areas and just roleplay there for the most part, driving around to other places instead of going for walks or riding a bike - which is normal, because people in America literally drive everywhere out of pure laziness. With that being said, the map being a ghost town is not an excuse to drive like a maniac.

When driving, remember that the map is actually NOT a ghost town and we shouldn't roleplay it like it is one. When you RP Los Santos as a ghost town it just creates issues. People get robbed in broad daylight at 2PM by gangbangers on streets that would be full of people, because people think that if there's no players on the street, it's perfectly normal to assume the city is dead and there's no pedestrians. And I'm not going off-topic here because it also applies for driving. Just because people group up in their areas and most streets are empty does not mean LS is a ghost town like Chernobyl.

Edited by hentai!

The most common misconception I hear as an admin is; "well if I choose to drive around like a maniac, not slow down at intersections that's IC and that's my character's choice." Well yes but that only applies so far, but is choosing not to value your characters life or the lives of others also IC or does it cross into unrealistic behaviour? This even more so applies when you're driving a larger vehicle that could easily destroy someone's life with one wrong move. It is undoubtedly unrealistic not to take those consequences into consideration. There is a concerning number of people who don't seem to recognise the difference between IC recklessness and a complete disregard of their characters life.

The same could be said if your character was held at gunpoit, sure you COULD choose to run away or fight them and you could also say that's your characters choice and they'd pay the price but is it something a reasonable person do? Whilst we are looking at various ways to enforce proper driving standards, it's impossible to keep track of every instance, but you can help us if you see anyone driving like a jackass by making a report with their ID in-game, or make a forum report after the fact with video evidence.

• Upvote 1

The driving is out of control but no one wants to run you over on purpose. Accidents, lag and desync happen and it's easy to speed when you get a nice empty straight road. If there was LA traffic you would still get run over or hit by some idiot weaving through or running a light.

Just be polite and accept that people make mistakes like going too fast or looking at their phone IRL while driving ig.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Moonsong said:

But  you can help us if you see anyone driving like a jackass by making a report with their ID in-game, or make a forum report after the fact with video evidence.

I try but when someone flies by me at 100+ I can never catch a name tag or anything. At that point if I’m not recording there’s no choice but to just let it go. I feel there should be an OOC intervention and official announcement about driving standards within city limits. If people want to drive like maniacs in the country and on the highway, sure that happens all the time. However in a metropolitan city? Driving standards should be enforced as much as they are for trucking drivers. It has gotten out of hand. I stop at every intersection just out of fear someone is flying from the other way in their Pariah at 120 mph with zero disregard for their characters life lol.

Just now, Chief said:

I try but when someone flies by me at 100+ I can never catch a name tag or anything. At that point if I’m not recording there’s no choice but to just let it go. I feel there should be an OOC intervention and official announcement about driving standards within city limits. If people want to drive like maniacs in the country and on the highway, sure that happens all the time. However in a metropolitan city? Driving standards should be enforced as much as they are for trucking drivers. It has gotten out of hand. I stop at every intersection just out of fear someone is flying from the other way in their Pariah at 120 mph with zero disregard for their characters life lol.

You can report the vehicle. Admins can find the vehicle with little to no issue from what I was told. Simply report the color and name of the vehicle and admins can take care of the rest, I'm pretty sure. Driving's definitely become a massive problem on GTA:W, and has been since late 2019. Mirror Park used to be a street racing hotspot for no reason, and while it's definitely stopped, I feel like it needs more work as a lot of the street racers have no RP job. People fail to realize the majority of street racers IRL have 9-5 jobs to support their habits. They don't get in their car, drive all day and hit mach 1.

• Selena locked this topic