Map Size - Define How We Roleplay Distances!

Blöp

How should we roleplay the size of the map?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Short description: define how should we roleplay the distance between Los Santos and Blaine County. 

Detailed description: This is a discussion for a quite long time now, I believe we should decide how we want to play this and state our decision in the rules. Right now we face two narratives when we talk about the distance between Los Santos and Blain County and we have to face this every single week. On one hand, the decision is not clear since there is nothing about this in the rules but in many decisions, the admin team says it should take several hours to reach from A to B and it is not realistic to own houses in the other half of the map. I believe we should end the guessing games and make a rule finally. Our options:

Narrative A: the game's odometer says it is just a few miles and we should roleplay accordingly. Los Santos and Blaine County are located on a small island, no travel should take longer than 10 minutes realistically between A and B. 

Narrative B: according to the game's wiki, it takes about four hours to drive from Los Santos to Paleto Bay. This narrative comes from Trevor during the story missions and it is an accurate assumption in the singleplayer since it takes about 8 minutes (IRL) and one hour passes every two minute in-game. 

Please keep the discussion civilized and use the poll above! 

It's obviously stupid to say you're going across state lines in minutes. Just be realistic. The server promotes realistic role-play. Saying you go (or can go) across the map in minutes is borderline power-gaming — in the realm of what power-gaming is, this classifies as it, but it's unlikely someone will get punished over it. The game isn't up to scale with a huge world where dimensions are 1:1 which is why that needs to be simulated. Suspension of disbelief to what's going on, the same way the economy cannot be 1:1 with a true economy and we have extra decimals but nobody bothers with that.

This doesn't need any suggestion. It needs common sense. And most people have that.

Edited by liq

Honestly I am all in for narrative B, yes, the map is rather small from practical reasons, and the whole thing had to be scaled down. Now I know some people will argue that that will mean they have to wait few hours in going between areas, but the way I see it, it just means if you are indeed going in the county, you should roleplay some effects of being slightly tired or grumpy after sitting in your car for so long, but again people that already RP those areas as being few hours away will continue doing it with or without rule to it, while those who wish to RP it as being only a few minutes away for simplicity sake will continue RPing it as they did, no matter the regulations.

tl;dr Leave it as it is, it isn't crucial to your RP, everyone should and everyone does RP it as they want.

5 minutes ago, liq said:

This doesn't need any suggestion. It needs common sense. And most people have that.

This topic is quite controversial since you can say a million things on both sides. Since our map is an island we can roleplay any size we want. Since the odometer, the GPS, and million other things say it is just a few miles I don't believe its common sense to roleplay something else. We can roleplay the map to be bigger but we need to come to an agreement before we force this on others. That's why this topic born, to hear every opinion, vote, and finally make a decision about this. 

Just now, DjoleK said:

tl;dr Leave it as it is, it isn't crucial to your RP, everyone should and everyone does RP it as they want.

This can be an answer as well but then we should make decisions accordingly. For example, many people were denied from getting a house because they work too far from that place. I'm all in for leaving this to the players but then we should not force our own opinion on others. Nor as players or admins.

Edited by liafriuli
Just now, DjoleK said:

My guess is that this is only reason for making this thread?

Nope, personally I am not affected by this but since this is an ongoing discussion without any official decision what we should follow, I thought its a good idea to bring this up and decide. No need to look for conspiracy theories. ?

13 minutes ago, liafriuli said:

For example, many people were denied from getting a house because they work too far from that place. I'm all in for leaving this to the players but then we should not force our own opinion on others. Nor as players or admins.

And this sums up what I said... it needs no suggestion, just common sense. You can't want some ranch out in Paleto Bay when you work in the southern end of Los Santos City. Why? Because it realistically wouldn't make sense for you to travel that long from home to work and vice versa, and it becomes an impracticality.

The fact that people were denied from house requests because of this particular reason shows that not only does the entire staff team understand distance isn't 1:1 (and that it shouldn't be, and quite frankly there's no argument against it — Rockstar wasn't going to design a game that shows fake values during development, they were going to determine real values so they know what they're working with), but they also enforce it as such.

So, this makes no sense. Just because people believe a common misconception doesn't make that misconception true.

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

Vehicle maintenance begins at 1500 miles (give or take), so treat it like the economy, add/remove digits as you see fit and that should give you an idea of how distance works IC.
I'm leaning more towards this B narrative from your post. To put this into perspective (considering that San Andreas is an island): driving all around Hawaii takes approximately 8 hours IRL, not a few minutes like in GTA. Rhode Island's the smallest state in terms of land area and it takes around 1 hour to drive through it diagonally. Just because it takes you 5 minutes to drive from point A to point B in a sports car ig it doesn't mean it's the way it's supposed to work, you should always approach things with a bit of realism and account for all the variables not seen in the server (traffic density and diversity, commuting, accidents, etc).

It takes minutes to drive from the top of the map to the bottom. THAT'S HOW LONG IT TAKES. How is there even a discussion about how long that takes? If I were to drive to Paleto and back, and it doesn't take me 8 hours, is that now bad RP? Time is 1:1 so the time it takes in-game is the time it takes. As soon as you start to change timings certain RP situations won't make sense ("how are you back already??? you went to paleto, I've only talked to this person for a few minutes" etc)

The game has miles scaled in game and that should be respected. I like to think of it that 1 IRL mile =/= 1 GTA mile and that a GTA mile is much more.

I would love to roleplay the distances being greater, to really introduce story and depth into it. To make it feel like it's a trek to travel across the land and that different communities exist far apart. I'd love to be able to travel and after a while be like 'wow we're all the way out here!' after a lengthy journey where you've grown tired and watched the sun change positions in the sky... at least, roleplay wise?

The speed of travel and the time of the server wouldn't match the increased distance. Furthermore, visibly, you can see Mount Chiliad from Los Santos and vice versa. The map is designed as a small island. I feel roleplaying a greater distance than there physically being would have re-occuring issues throughout the server; from new people joining the game and not being fully aware despite the rules, to deliveries that would roleplay taking longer (thus slower income) but don't actually take longer (thus, still the same income), to survival during an emergency medical scenario where they Ambulance would take too long to get there and similarly police responding to a crime that would have happened a while ago roleplay-wise yet the criminal are still game-wise nearby, to much more. 

In the shorter-term I believe I would prefer it to remain this 'small island', a small island state, or even just a small island that is the southern part of San Andreas state, away from Northern San Andreas and mainland USA.

In-fact I see Paleto Bay as only being a few miles from Los Santos. People commute between the two for jobs, relationships, events...etc. Just like Santa Clarita is only a few miles from Los Angeles City and people commute between the two; yet the scenery between the two changes quite a lot. It's because of this I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to roleplay Paleto Bay as being 'too far' from Los Santos as physically it isn't. 

Edited by Cobra
  • mj2002 locked this topic