Map Size - Define How We Roleplay Distances!

Blöp

How should we roleplay the size of the map?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why is this a topic? The server has a set time. The script/what happens on the server dictates what happens in rp. 

Are the distances unrealtic to irl? Yes, but so is the population density and we've been told in the past that we treat the map as what you see is what's there. 

We follow the IG odometer. It was created by the developers on purpose, there is no reason to divert from it. Also Blaine County is a very wide definition. Blaine County starts about halfway into the country side, all the way to Paleto. Both distances can't be 4 hours, I'd suggest reformulating the poll and then trying again, although my answer would stay the same.

Changing it would also break immersion in a lot of places, such as trucking companies and other things. There were suggestions to speed up the IG time several times to allow everyone to RP a full 24 hour cycle without it taking that much time IRL etc, but it never worked. If we start 'increasing distance', then you've to follow through to keep it balanced and also speed up time IC. That means only allowing truckers 3 deliveries max per day, otherwise it would take too much time, club openings can only be shorter because 8 min = 4 hours. So after 5-10 minutes club openings would have to close.

I know that you are going to tell me that it isn't the same, but it is. Otherwise, how can people RP that they've just taken 6 hours to buy a car in Sandy from the city, while their friends in the city have barely ordered their first beer. It's going to break immersion and balance if a change like this were to be enforced.

Edited by BinaryRun

There is no logical way to accurately roleplay this in the current script. If you wanted to RP these vast distances, then the IG clock would have to be sped up so that there are no inconsistencies like what has been said on the thread. We would need day/night cycles to accurately portray the time it would take and likely 2 a day so that everyone can RP the 'time' has passed. 

If you want to RP it being 4 hours ahead of time because you drove up to Paleto Bay or whatever logically the time/daylight/skyline whatever would be different, but it is not unfortunately. 

It's not perfect, sure, but the map size does not allocate for this level of RP perception. If you want a sprawling mega-map with this sort of time scale, I'd recommend playing DayZ or something with a map that can literally take a real life day to canvas.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 3:20 AM, Horner said:

It takes minutes to drive from the top of the map to the bottom. THAT'S HOW LONG IT TAKES. How is there even a discussion about how long that takes? If I were to drive to Paleto and back, and it doesn't take me 8 hours, is that now bad RP? Time is 1:1 so the time it takes in-game is the time it takes. As soon as you start to change timings certain RP situations won't make sense ("how are you back already??? you went to paleto, I've only talked to this person for a few minutes" etc)

The game has miles scaled in game and that should be respected. I like to think of it that 1 IRL mile =/= 1 GTA mile and that a GTA mile is much more.

I second this. 

I'd stick to roleplay distances as they are. What I would really suggest tho is a game changer for distances. Well they've been mentioned very few times throughout the history of teh community, the NPCs. The NPCs are the ones who will make distances seem longer in a way that you will have traffic and so on, makes it harder to transit in one ways. But yeah traffic would change the perspective.

• mj2002 locked this topic