Minimum age for characters?

Westen

42 minutes ago, Exploits said:

My bad, I had fucked up while editing. It was less a targeting of you specifically, and more towards officers at large. I am constantly hearing people in our faction whinge on and on about 'youth RPers bad' on TS, Discord, et. al. and it's tiresome as hell.

Realistically and as has been outlined, cops have no problem shooting kids to death in America. Feel free to Google that, there's a news controversy on the subject pretty much every month. Players who assume they'll be exempt from certain forms of state violence due to their age are sorely mistaken, and what their /examine says or their /b responses after the fact might claim are utterly irrelevant. Again, this circles back to Player Reports.

the fact that you're saying 'just report them' solves nothing here, and personally it makes it difficult for me to take you and your argument seriously

Edited by Ari-
6 minutes ago, Ari- said:

the fact that you're saying 'just report them' solves nothing here, and personally it makes it difficult for me to take you and your argument seriously

Do you think the admins are omniscient? How else do you expect them to address case issues? A blanket solution is no solution at all.

• Applaud 1
Just now, Exploits said:

Do you think the admins are omniscient? How else do you expect them to address case issues? A blanket solution is no solution at all.

Whilst not necessarily a blanket solution, a feature or other implementation could be added to help improve people's identification and subsequent interaction with underaged characters. This addresses one of the (or at least in my experience) major issues is that in certain cases there's no way to tell whether somebody is a juvenile until it's too late and they've been taken off their bike.

For example: If I see someone running through a perimeter, their intention 99% of the time is either to destroy evidence or to harm someone inside that perimeter. If someone does just that, and runs straight past me, there's no way I can know that their character is 15/16 years old until the roleplay has slowed to such a point that I can /examine them - at which point it's probably already too late.

1 minute ago, Westen said:

For example: If I see someone running through a perimeter, their intention 99% of the time is either to destroy evidence or to harm someone inside that perimeter. If someone does just that, and runs straight past me, there's no way I can know that their character is 15/16 years old until the roleplay has slowed to such a point that I can /examine them - at which point it's probably already too late.

And it really cannot be stressed enough that their age is an utterly irrelevant factor in police response here. Unless they're role-playing something younger than ten or older than eighty, your reaction will always be the same for everybody you encounter in this scenario. Players who also don't themselves take into consideration that player models and immediate appearances do nothing to relay their character's age and can result in understandable confusion are a bigger problem than the problem being discussed here.

You could always make your suggestion here.

From my experience it works like this.

They know what they are doing and adjust their roleplay accordingly based on whatever happens around them and they are fun to roleplay with, both sides have lots of fun and no one is complaining at all. This is the good encounter.

The bad encounter is when they use it as an excuse to do things and then expect a free card out of trouble but they drive cars, shoot people and the list can go on and on. They are the type to go complain over /b whenever the situation doesn't go their way and usually have their own reality in which they have to win no matter what.

Underage roleplay is an unique experience but as every other type of roleplay, be it legal or illegal there are going to be some bad apples that ruin everything for the rest and display a bad image for those who really know what they are doing. At this point it's not our fault anymore, we can't ruin our mood by reporting every single player with sub-par roleplay we see on a daily basis (people usually ignore them as it's really a big pain and not worth) but perhaps RPQ/FM should watch players closely and on a strict basis rather than relying on reports to stack. This is just my opinion and I will stick by it until I'm proven wrong.

Edited by Invictus

Underage roleplay is quite vital to criminal rp in my experience, and I think we gotta face the facts that all we gotta do is report the bad 'apples' like any other case... If the person is guilty of abusing it or whatever, perhaps FM should reach out to the faction leader before perhaps a-jailing or banning that person, imho

• Upvote 1

Hi, just going to chime in here, theres really no reason why your 13/14/15 year old should be treated differently because they're a dumbass who intrudes on a police scene, there is nothing in the San Andreas penal code to specify that a minor has to be treated differently to an adult and as such, they are treated the way they are. (Not PDs fault here, they don't make the laws.)

Now I fully expect someone to comment on here. "But that's just poor RP, you should just treat them differently anyway because it's more realistic!" No, not really, once kids start shooting at cops and killing them, something which has happened, and still happens, why would the cops decide that they should still be treated differently when the environment suggests otherwise.

In short, Cops aren't required to discern the age legally, given what happens on the server and how the players of these characters act in some cases (Not all players, there are good ones) They should not be expected to treat them differently because it would be illogical and entirely unsafe to do so.

• Upvote 2

Underage characters are vital to illegal rp. MS-13 is known to recruit children as young as 8 into their ranks and use them as foot soldiers to fight rival gangs. If all characters were supposed to be 18+  my faction would be forced to recruit adults into its ranks, as opposed to recruiting 14/15/16 year olds like the street gang does in reality.

It should be a responsibility to let others around you know if your character is underage. This applies not only to the scenario posted by OP but also things like showing your fake ID to club guards. A fake ID isn't gonna work for you if you look like your balls haven't dropped yet. You look underage and someone's gonna doubt the document is legit.

In my opinion we should not restrict the minimum age to 18+ as someone suggested, I'd rather see more people use and read other people's /attributes as soon as the roleplay starts, so that everyone knows who they're dealing with. Let's make this our habits and everything will be solved.

Also cops are cops, if you do things as stupid as bothering a gang unit while they work, then you desrve that taze bro. And that comes from someone who's in no way affiliated with PD lmao