Minimum age for characters?

Westen

Just now, liq said:

I think you need to take your time to role-play with people. I've had tons of good interactions with such characters. If you disregard them like you admitted you did, they will disregard you too and you aren't getting anywhere. 

Disregard them in what way?

Just now, Zayyy said:

/examine is there for a reason.

Unfortunately, not everybody has their examine set or the very fluid nature of some scenes means that it's incredibly difficult to /examine them or get chance to /pm them.

Just now, Westen said:

Disregard them in what way?

"With the way the game works, every character looks like an adult, and, on face value, I'm going to take it that way. I don't always have time to /examine everyone at a scene, especially the people trying to run away from my character."

I feel that it's about suspension of disbelief. It's commonly known that neighborhood lore is rare to stick around, so each faction or group tends to develop their own setting. It takes one to listen to then be heard. Someone pedaling around in South Central is definitely not an adult character. Then I guess it's about role-playing with them so they give back and role-play with you. Try it and see where it gets you. Otherwise it looks like the police is going to be defensive about what happens and so are gang role-players because they often feel police role-players disregard the setting they have. Even if you've got long guns out and a perimeter set, it's no guarantee you're not gonna be messed with. This isn't the 80s and 90s standard anymore — gangs don't operate on such a large scale that they're straight outlaws and locals don't want them there. Gangs are mainly comprised of locals, and most of them aren't even elaborately big: they're cliques, and a lot of them are volatile and wanting to affirm themselves. It's why juveniles perform such heinous and reckless acts to begin with. Police role-players need to account for that.

So, give in to people's stories. I don't see the problem with them running: put it in perspective for your character, not your faction. Would your character suddenly break formation of a perimeter on whatever they're there to do (which is infinitely more important) to go take a hike after some kid on a bike in a neighborhood like that? Would your character then want to deal with the hassle of throwing him in juvi and dealing with their parents (or lack thereof)? Perhaps it's an elaborate diversion to get your character away from a scene. This is why role-play is deeper than what you grasp at face value and we, police role-players, need to listen, and to give. 

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1
Just now, Westen said:

Unfortunately, not everybody has their examine set or the very fluid nature of some scenes means that it's incredibly difficult to /examine them or get chance to /pm them.

Well. There should be a rule for underage RP then.

Just now, liq said:

Someone pedaling around in South Central is definitely not an adult character.

But this isn't a definitive. In real life I can look at someone pedalling and go, yeah they're a kid.

However, on the contrary, I have seen people pedalling around on bikes that are 20, 25 years old and in fact it used to be a common escape tactic in Forum Drive a few months ago (maybe a year ago now?)

I think another valuable question then would be: if people are roleplaying underaged characters, especially from a distance, how can we convey that information so people know that they are a juvenile?

For example:

There are a group of people stood on a sidewalk. Between 5-10 of them. How do you differentiate the adults from the children without stopping to examine each individual character?

I see players owning driving licenses, owning vehicles, owning houses, acting and RPing like they're mid twenties. Soon as they're in cuffs, you get a /ame of 'is a dumb fifteen year old'. 

I don't think it expands any of the roleplay of the server at all. I've never seen it done right, there's no parental characters most of the time to contact, they always go and purchase a car or the likes once they're done and have thousands in their piggie banks. 

Not to mention the two 'statutory rape' calls I've had to go to, which were not fun to all parties involved.

18+.

2 minutes ago, SpartanofSparta said:

I see players owning driving licenses, owning vehicles, owning houses, acting and RPing like they're mid twenties. Soon as they're in cuffs, you get a /ame of 'is a dumb fifteen year old'. 

I don't think it expands any of the roleplay of the server at all. I've never seen it done right, there's no parental characters most of the time to contact, they always go and purchase a car or the likes once they're done and have thousands in their piggie banks. 

Not to mention the two 'statutory rape' calls I've had to go to, which were not fun to all parties involved.

18+.

+1

If a player has an actual person role-playing a parent that they actively live with etc. then I don't have any issue with it. But at the moment, /ame is fourteen is just being used as an excuse to get away with things. I'm all for people role-playing what they want but certain issues need to be addressed as it does affect others. 

I'm not saying this should be an application system.. but there needs to be something done to curb this low-level RP from happening. An outright ban wouldn't be fair on the people who RP younger and do it well but it's currently being abused big time. 

6 minutes ago, SpartanofSparta said:

18+.

I have had some of my best RP experiences as a troubled sixteen year old, and his experiences from being neglected by the foster care system, to becoming accustomed to living with a new family. He isn't an illegal character by any means, and currently all of his family members are real characters, and he is close to being officially adopted by said people, something that we have put hours of thought and research and development into. He doesn't own any vehicle besides his BMX, and i've never used his age to get away with something to later act like a twenty year old. I'm not writing this to toot my own horn because I imagine there are probably areas where I can improve too, and I would be open to hear them because my only aim is to portray the character as realistically as possible, but I don't think it's fair to ask for 18+ because a few ruin it for the rest. I do think that those few do need to be addressed, and agree with you. it is frustrating as someone who wants to realistically RP a teenager as well when 90% of under 18 characters behave like my character is the weird one for not owning a car. 

• Upvote 1