What were your RP interest first time joining the server && what can be improve for illegal rp?

BigDrip

So, initially, what were you interested in rping as, and did you actually do it?  If not, why not? Was it the lack of tools to do so? Also, I want to hear what do you think is need it to improve more of the illegal role play aspect.  As I've seen so far, there's a lot of players towards legal role play. That's cool, but it can get repetitive in my own opinion from my experiences.  Do you not roleplay illegally because it's harder to make money in? And legal RP just has more open opportunities to get rich?  

Why are you opposed to illegal RP if you are? I genuinely want to know.

Edited by BigDrip

Resources are harder to come by unless you know people, friends ETC so it's harder to start up, also everything is kinda expensive so it's hard to start up fronts and stuff but once you get all of that going you're in for some solid RP.

Edited by Jola

Due to the fact the server was pretty new to me when it comes to the script and the community members themselves as I barely knew anyone, I had to start simple and take some time to adapt to the way things are done here, which is what I did. I started off roleplaying what I have pretty much done for a few years now and what I am also most comfortable with which is fire department roleplay but once I had a feeling that I had already gone past the first stage of adapting, I decided to leave my comfort zone and try new options, new stuff which curiously enough happens to be what exactly my character does at the moment, still a legal character but does something entirely different from what I used to.

I don't find legal roleplay repetitive at all, as opposed to what you say, however I fully respect your opinion. I think a big mistake that people make when they try to portray a legal character is set out a plan for what exactly they want him to be in the short and long term both personal and professionally. While this in theory may seem like a good thing to do, what most people fail to realize is that roleplay does never go as planned due to it being what I like to call a dynamic improv, so the plan is naturally subject to failure sooner or later. If you decide to robotically act with your character in a way that every scenario he engages in has the same impact to him every single time, and he doesn't learn from losing which is necessarily something that happens on a regular basis, it surely will get repetitive because you aren't developing him at all, you're stagnating, so it feels like you aren't progressing at all. 

To answer your last question though, I personally am not opposed to illegal roleplay at all, in fact being myself someone who has in the past had characters in a big number of illegal factions, I heavily encourage it. I don't like to judge though but a note I will leave here about illegal roleplay is, despite the lots of good stuff they have provided the server with, what I have seen here plenty of times so far from illegal roleplayers though is them trying to use their illegal characters and use the fact they are illegal to their advantage to try and intimidate legal characters in order to win in certain scenarios. Sure, it makes sense in some cases to do this, but the point here is they shouldn't always go around with this kind of aura around them when they're not in their comfort zone, in fact what I believe is in some circumstances they should act more legal than most legal characters out there, so they can hide their true colors to the public and take advantage of that. I'd love for my legal character to engage with some illegal characters, but in a legal fashion, without having to be associated with them in any way, shape or form by rivals or other organizations just because I'm hanging with them, but that's practically impossible I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong in this last bit though.

In the end, and despite everything I said above, I am very much okay with people roleplaying whatever they want so as long as they do it properly, within reason and it makes them and those around them satisfied, be it legal or illegal. This is a game after all and it's all about having a good experience here as long as you follow the rules and what is expected from you.

Edited by Shaderz

I knew certain people way before joining GTAW so I had already planned out what kind of character I was going to RP as. Wich I also did. What could really improve illegal RP is less toxicity and more co-ordination OOCly. In real-life most gangsters that are not in a organized crime group but in a street gang go to school together or are somewhat related and know eachother outside of the gang life. People are more often than not looking for unnecessary beef, when the common goal of gangs should be money. Working together to achieve a common goal is a thing. In real life beefs between gangs are not really all out wars where everyone automatically hates everyone but rather personal beefs that slowly get more and more people involved as the people that are close to a person that has been killed by the opposition will slide on the person that did it. His friends will slide on the person that did him, his friends are gonna slide back and so on. Most OG's only care about the money aspect and are way past the point of having to prove themselves or being ruthless. Even tho we do have a Gang RP Discord, things are still not as good as they could be if some more thought would be put into the RP and relationships between characters. Also I'm high as hell if any spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes is in this bih dont @ me ard thx.

I was heavily interested in roleplaying as a Jamaican Shower Posse member. I had spent months researching the faction in-depth, even applying my political scientific analysis on the faction's political and economic influence within both the U.S., Caribbean, South-America, and Western Europe, alongside with their activities within Los Angeles. However, the faction was rejected without the individual displaying any reason for it's rejection, despite being praised by every single person that I've encountered for my unique faction. Thus, I gave up on R.P.ing that type of character. 

So far, my best R.P. experience has been a Romani/Romany/"Gypsy" that functions as a middle-man for countless factions in numerous "under the table" transactions... cannot reveal much other than that.

In regards to illegal R.P.? Individuals should understand that an illegal character possesses many aspects of themselves that are not based on committing crimes. The average criminal is not hostile towards all legal individuals, as they often live regular lives outside of their criminal life. At this moment, I cannot properly produce any recommendations as my perspectives on illegal faction-related R.P. is based on my former membership with factions two months ago. In the present? From my observations on my semi-illegal Romani character, there is more to life than purchasing lockpicks, blades, and firearms at a pawn shop.

Maybe, I'd claim that individuals should accept "losses" as "character development" rather than "losses". You can neither win or lose in the R.P. world, as all events leads to some form of development.

Edited by DLimit

I started wanting to tell the story of an aging detective walking the line between legal and illegal, doing what's best for herself and her kid, taking bribes to get by and provide for her family. Unfortunately at the time the PD recruitment exam was terrible and I got one point below the requirement. But, that wasn't the only reason I didn't do it. It was also because of the PDs corruption rules which heavily limited playing a good dirty cop, it was because playing a detective who barely got by is impossible since especially at this time, you earned thousands per hour and there were no asset rules yet so every cop had a sports car and lived in the canals. That has since somewhat been fixed, but eh. Not entirely. Cops are still the wealthiest demographic around. 

So I went to illegal rp eventually. A Mexican gang. A few months of this OOC drama fight between our faction and another, which resulted in a ton of IC murders, most of which death matching. Faction management at the time was the one before the one we have now, and that one ended because basically everyone in the legal factions said they have no confidence in the FM team anymore so I'm not alone when saying that it could have been better. I haven't really dealt much with the current FM so I dunno, but all the DMing and people just playing to win really bummed me out of illegal RP. It took me a few months to realize that despite how much we and our faction hated the other faction both ic and ooc, we were really the bad guys there. The faction I was a part of did just as much powergaming, metagaming, death matching and more as the others, and I regret advocating that. 

I just wanted to tell the story of a pair of twins growing up with a gang and all the trauma's that come with it. My character seriously struggled with the immoral stuff that happened and that was the interesting side of me. Not the money, not at all. In fact, I had hundreds of thousands of dollars that I didn't wanna use IC because if I did, I'd just contract a personal security organisation, buy a well defendable home and defect, but that's no fun. I had the most fun when my character was at home with her friends and fellow gang members and they weren't doing anything gang related like murders and all that, they were just chilling. Arguing, yelling, joking, laughing, crying over traumas, doesn't matter. The kind of drama that stays IC. That's what I RP for. 

So the faction and everyone in it died, and now I'm in legal RP. And I have what I wanted! Now it's all about the ic drama, the arguments, the discussions. It makes RPing much more worth it when you see everything that happens not as a victory or a loss, but just a progression in rp. My character got shot in the arm with an automatic weapon last year for example and for about 6 months or more now, I've RPd that arm having nervous damage and being barely usable. Nobody in illegal rp ever did that because its nog worth the time rping injuries like that, because it's seen as a loss. 

None of it is about the money for me. My 18 year old has around 800k assets. Not by grinding for them or anything, no, just by playing and getting the absurdly high hourly paychecks time and time again, 800 dollars an hour, 1500 hours, you can do the math. I don't acknowledge any of the money IC, just like I never did on my illegal character. 

CONCLUDINGLY! Why am I opposed to illegal RP? Because it revolves around winning and making money, and not about telling a dramatic story. Because everyone just wants to win. 

What can the server do to make illegal rp better? The same thing they can do to make all rp better. Completely scrap this awful economy that we have and start anew, from the ground up. In my opinion the economy is the root of all issues. It's why people play to win, it's why legal rp is seen as repetitive and boring and everyone drives a sports car. I stopped acknowledging this economy a year ago and it's the best decision I've made in this game. 

I started roleplaying as an italian mob member and it was absolutely awesome: I have to admit it, I had fun. Even if I think that we might improve illegal roleplay on several fronts.

What am I talking about? Well, let's talk about drugs for example. Currently drugs run around the city and there is no problem but what exactly makes a person want to use drugs in a roleplay server?

• Simple interpretation of your character
  • Advantages offered by the use of these drugs

I have been playing on this server for a while and I have also learned a little about the drug system: there only are three illegal drugs that offer you benefits like the increase of max HPs and the increase of inventory capacity.
Actually, I would increase the number of drugs and study the advantages offered in order to increase their use.

What should be the benefits?

• Health point regeneration
  • Maximum health points increase
  • One drug might Increase punch damage (I think it would be a great addition for gang members and that would increase use) (Your target loses more health points for each punch)
  • One drug might reduce punch damage (You lose less health points for each punch)
  • One drug might reduce firearm damage (You lose less health points for each shot)
  • One drug might increase firearm damage (Your target loses more health points for each shot)

Let's say the description is superficial enough but something could be done to increase drug use and thus increase interaction between illegal factions.

FM V3 is all that is needed. 

IFM keeps on being circles of people who are friends with certain factions on OOC level and there's no room for improvement. IFM hasn't been involved in looking after factions or simply checking topics, there are so many questions raising when you slide through certain topics. High RP keeps on getting advertised, but have you been to Chamberlain Hills??? At least when Eyebrows were IFM, she actually made a character to go and look around, ended being dmd by a certain factions and was going to close it due to the prior reports, but wasn't allowed to by management. Why, still remains as a question.

If IFM cared for the sake of illegal factions roleplay atmosphere imrpovements, we'd have proper drug system in place. :)))

Edited by Demon Dooski

As a mostly legal roleplayer, one of the most common interactions with criminal roleplay is through being a victim of said roleplay. What stands out however is that too often the encounter is purely for the OOC need of money rather than roleplaying the actual interaction. Three out of four total muggings so far have been easily summarized as a three minute "Show me your inventory and drop everything I tell you to." experience with no real OOC courtesy or regard for the roleplayer playing the role of being mugged.

Like, calm down fam, I want to have fun too. Totally fine with giving you my stuff, just organize this better so we can both have fun.

That said, one method to drastically help with drawing more into criminal roleplay, would be accessibility - there should be more of a faction initiative to seek out and take in people that are interested in criminal roleplay. Help people establish the connections needed to fit in to the criminal underworld.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

As a mostly legal roleplayer, one of the most common interactions with criminal roleplay is through being a victim of said roleplay. What stands out however is that too often the encounter is purely for the OOC need of money rather than roleplaying the actual interaction. Three out of four total muggings so far have been easily summarized as a three minute "Show me your inventory and drop everything I tell you to." experience with no real OOC courtesy or regard for the roleplayer playing the role of being mugged.

Like, calm down fam, I want to have fun too. Totally fine with giving you my stuff, just organize this better so we can both have fun.

That said, one method to drastically help with drawing more into criminal roleplay, would be accessibility - there should be more of a faction initiative to seek out and take in people that are interested in criminal roleplay. Help people establish the connections needed to fit in to the criminal underworld.

lol, u aight?