The most overlooked type of roleplay?

np

There's definitely an under-representation of black people in legal roleplay, or at least holding jobs. It paints a caricatural picture of the ethnicity. It does require some research to portray attitudes etc.

Edited by arrdef
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, qcumber said:

What would you even say that looks like?

DTOs

Black OCGs

Black MCs - 

Black Cars

activist movements Black Lives Matter, Black Panther Party, The Nation of Islam list goes on, I remember telling someone who roleplays in a predominately black gang that I roleplay with a black MC and they laughed, they couldn't fandom someone doing anything other than being in a gang if they RP black.

and this is just illegal, everyone thinks that every black person is tupac/gucci/YG list other gangster rappers, the few who rp black in the PD don't do the clique Icecube ridealong skit but I think that most of them are actually black in real life so that explains it.

it paints a bad picture on the player base entirely, there are times that I roleplay with certain people who RP black in gangs and I can easily tell that it's a 14-17 year-old white kid behind that character, but why am I ranting I guess its the fun thing to do.

Edited by Jola

Most caucasian characters as well are pretty subpar. To be fair, most people, whether they admit it or not, simply just roleplay stereotypes.

Most white characters are more likely to be legal for some reason, whereas most black/hispanic characters I come across turn out to be illegal, and of course, middle-eastern characters are always terrorists which is pretty ridiculous. If they're not illegal, they wind up being corrupt in whichever legal field they work in usually. No offence, but I remember running into gang officers in the past on the server that pretty much talked like gang members in uniforms just because they were roleplaying POC characters. Not only does it look really stupid, but it also paints a very false picture of police roleplay in that field in general. 

I think less generalization and stereotyping could go a long way. Roleplaying flaws is something I rarely ever see, yet I always appreciate it when I see it. Most legal characters turn out to roleplay very stereotypical jobs too.  I think more research in that regard is also necessary; the only jobs available aren't bartending and security. You can do so much more than that if you did a bit of research and created more room for creativity.

• Upvote 1

I saw an LSFD faction member performing fire hydrant maintenance about a month back. They set up cones and were doing some sort of animation in order to simulate the work being done. It made the city feel more alive seeing people perform those sort of tasks. 

• Upvote 2

You don’t see very many characters that have children. The majority of the player base portrays relatively young characters and no one wants the responsibility of a child IG, but even if the child isn’t a large focus point of your character’s day to day story, it can make for some interesting points of character motivation.

2 hours ago, Ctstrohm said:

I saw an LSFD faction member performing fire hydrant maintenance about a month back. They set up cones and were doing some sort of animation in order to simulate the work being done. It made the city feel more alive seeing people perform those sort of tasks.  

gta-world-2019-11-30-17-9-38.png

@Fraggloid for credit.

We do these little things all the time. Checking hydrants out, heading to businesses with inspections to double-check their fire alarms. Today we had to clear a dangerous buildup of explosive gases while teaming up with Sanitation services in a sewer line.

7pTVmSu.png

It's nice to see people appreciate it ?

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2
7 hours ago, Serower said:

Roleplaying flaws is something I rarely ever see,

This times a million, it's so frustrating to me to see every character have perfect social skills and be perfect at every job they do no matter what. When I make a character I try to think of things a normal person would fear or simply be really bad at. Very few people roleplay having any sort of social issues at all, yet it's something that's so common in the real world and makes the server far more interesting.

People seem to have an issue with losing in roleplay situations, I totally understand I did too but losing can really make for an interesting turn in character development.

Edited by Torlo
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 2