Should aim assist be considered as an advantage?

Tennplugg

It should really be common sense that an aim assist is against the rules. It's against the rules on pretty much every shooting game and against the rules in other RP communities. I had something about it written as part of the overall rule update, but the rule update itself was delayed as the increase in players has overwhelmed me with daily work. 

I'll add clarification about controller use to the rules shortly.

Just now, Keane said:

It should really be common sense that an aim assist is against the rules. It's against the rules on pretty much every shooting game and against the rules in other RP communities. I had something about it written as part of the overall rule update, but the rule update itself was delayed as the increase in players has overwhelmed me with daily work. 

I'll add clarification about controller use to the rules shortly.

Well, perfect, thank you 

Surprised it's a thing. Should be disallowed, but it can't really be enforced unless someone records it. Using assisted aim with a shotgun or an automatic is literally just turning them into deadly laser beams. Anyone caught with aim assist should be straight up banned. It's basically GTA V's aimbot.

This has been added to the rules:

7) Third Party Modifications And Software

Any type of game modification or software which gives a player any type of advantage over another player is forbidden. This includes but is not limited to binds or hotkeys using programs such as AutoHotkey or macros on a keyboard or mouse. 

Client side modding to give an advantage is also considered a breach of the rule. Client side modding may only be done for aesthetic purposes and should never be done to change the function of anything in-game. 

Players are permitted to use a controller to play the game. However, due to the fact that controllers have aim assist they may not be used during shootings. All shooting must be done while playing with mouse and keyboard. Controller usage for driving and flying is acceptable.

E.G.

• Using a vehicle mod to change the handling of a vehicle or change the size to create an advantage;
  • Spawning in items;
  • Use of godmode or giving yourself body armour without in-character access;
  • Usage of keybinds, hotkeys or macros to replace roleplay or give an advantage in a roleplay scene.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Raindance said:

I don't see why it's a problem controllers are at a massive disadvantage over mouse/keyboard I think the aim assist just makes up for that. It's not a full on lock anyway

Strafing is way easier on a controller, and so is tapping the aim button to re-lock with aim assist. It's ridiculously overpowered for shootouts.

45 minutes ago, Keane said:

This has been added to the rules:

7) Third Party Modifications And Software

Any type of game modification or software which gives a player any type of advantage over another player is forbidden. This includes but is not limited to binds or hotkeys using programs such as AutoHotkey or macros on a keyboard or mouse. 

Client side modding to give an advantage is also considered a breach of the rule. Client side modding may only be done for aesthetic purposes and should never be done to change the function of anything in-game. 

Players are permitted to use a controller to play the game. However, due to the fact that controllers have aim assist they may not be used during shootings. All shooting must be done while playing with mouse and keyboard. Controller usage for driving and flying is acceptable.

E.G.

• Using a vehicle mod to change the handling of a vehicle or change the size to create an advantage;
  • Spawning in items;
  • Use of godmode or giving yourself body armour without in-character access;
  • Usage of keybinds, hotkeys or macros to replace roleplay or give an advantage in a roleplay scene.

Players can opt to disable the aiming functionality under 'Targeting Mode' in Gamepad settings. The options are:

• Free Aim; full manual control
  • Free Aim - Assisted; will 'snap' towards your target on initial ADS, but requires manual control after
  • Assisted Aim - Partial; snap on ADS, and when the crosshair approaches a target it will slow down and semi-track
  • Assisted Aim - Full; aiming down sights locks onto a target and follows the body part directed at

Considering free aim with a controller is already a disadvantage, I don't see any reason Free Aim and Free Aim - Assisted can't be allowed for game pads.

Edited by Wisci
8 hours ago, Wisci said:

Players can opt to disable the aiming functionality under 'Targeting Mode' in Gamepad settings. The options are:

• Free Aim; full manual control
  • Free Aim - Assisted; will 'snap' towards your target on initial ADS, but requires manual control after
  • Assisted Aim - Partial; snap on ADS, and when the crosshair approaches a target it will slow down and semi-track
  • Assisted Aim - Full; aiming down sights locks onto a target and follows the body part directed at

Considering free aim with a controller is already a disadvantage, I don't see any reason Free Aim and Free Aim - Assisted can't be allowed for game pads.

Personally used free-aim assisted back on console it snaps way too easily and is way too much of an advantage. If you don't want to be at an disadvantage in a gun fight just use the keyboard and mouse, its not like anyone playing this doesn't have one.