Personal Property Market - What do you think?

MasterChief

Advanced issue found

?

1 hour ago, Syrike said:

Would people prefer PM to come out and say something like: Due to the actions of members of the community we have had to limit the price you can put on your properties to no more than 200% of the market price?

yes, do this.

2 hours ago, Syrike said:

As was mentioned in another thread, if you're willing to pay far more than the actual value of that property then it is your mistake and you're partially to blame for the stupid inflation people seem to think is ok to put on properties, it could be your characters dream house but would they allow themselves to pay 3 times the price? Would you do this in reality? Or would you tell the seller to jump off a bridge?

Would people prefer PM to come out and say something like: Due to the actions of members of the community we have had to limit the price you can put on your properties to no more than 200% of the market price?

You can't honestly expect everyone here to have a total grasp on what's realistic and what's not. People will pay 3 times the price in this game because it's not real, so there's no real tie to the value of what's in their wallet. In real life? No, they probably wouldn't let themselves pay 3 times the price because that's just stupid. Most people don't care what things cost in the game, so they'll pay whatever they have to in order to get what they want. It's completely unrealistic because people wouldn't have that kind of money to just throw around unless they were filthy rich, which most characters in this server aren't. However they throw money around at these houses as if they were. Is this right? No.

To the second part of your question, yes I would. I'm in the minority on that one, but yes. There should be a limit to what you can sell a property for that's tied to the area it's located in. The property prices should be controlled so that everyone has a chance to get one, not just people who have acquired stupid amounts of wealth in order to afford one. Inflation is hurting new players and it will continue to hurt new players the longer it's allowed to go on.

10 hours ago, JustAnM43 said:

Picked up a culdesac house for a solid realistic price thanks to a properly developed character selling one to me. Price was in the 500 grand range. Day after, I'm met by a message of a person offering me 1.2-1.8m for it. It's absolutely ridiculous. Houses are being super inflated because people are strictly chasing profits and no roleplay whatsoever. Buying a house and trying to flip it for double that is silly and shouldn't be encouraged. Prices should be kept realistic. Inflation's currently starting to hurt the server a lot and only the richest characters are able to own properties.

@Syrike ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've reported houses for stupid prices and they are ignored and then I'm told that Property Management won't regulate house prices. So, here we are. Here's to hoping that the new request system helps to balance out the supply/demand problem ?

Edited by Chief
Just now, Chief said:

You can't honestly expect everyone here to have a total grasp on what's realistic and what's not. People will pay 3 times the price in this game because it's not real, so there's no real tie to the value of what's in their wallet. In real life? No, they probably wouldn't let themselves pay 3 times the price because that's just stupid. Most people don't care what things cost in the game, so they'll pay whatever they have to in order to get what they want. It's completely unrealistic because people wouldn't have that kind of money to just throw around unless they were filthy rich, which most characters in this server aren't. However they throw money around at these houses as if they were. Is this right? No.

To the second part of your question, yes I would. I'm in the minority on that one, but yes. There should be a limit to what you can sell a property for that's tied to the area it's located in. The property prices should be controlled so that everyone has a chance to get one, not just people who have acquired stupid amounts of wealth in order to afford one.

@Syrike ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've reported houses for stupid prices and they are ignored and then I'm told that Property Management won't regulate house prices. So, here we are.

Really now, because I have personally seen direct intervention in certain cases, either way I have already forwarded this thread to members of property management who I would certainly hope will take the time to address the concerns brought up in this thread.

As for the first point, you're right, this is a game, a game where we roleplay characters living in Los Santos, characters for whom all this is very real. If people are failing to see this and simply act with the mentality "Oh it's just a game." Then quite frankly, they've already missed the entire point of Roleplay. 

I've long been vocal about my belief that property prices need a rule involving them other this kind of stupid inflation appears and hopefully with more of the community voicing these concerns something will happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
16 minutes ago, Syrike said:

Really now, because I have personally seen direct intervention in certain cases, either way I have already forwarded this thread to members of property management who I would certainly hope will take the time to address the concerns brought up in this thread.

As for the first point, you're right, this is a game, a game where we roleplay characters living in Los Santos, characters for whom all this is very real. If people are failing to see this and simply act with the mentality "Oh it's just a game." Then quite frankly, they've already missed the entire point of Roleplay. 

I've long been vocal about my belief that property prices need a rule involving them other this kind of stupid inflation appears and hopefully with more of the community voicing these concerns something will happen.

I didn't mean to imply that there hasn't been direct intervention ever, I was simply referring to what happened in my scenario after reporting multiple properties, then repeating a discussion with someone in PM telling me that upper management instructed them not to regulate housing prices. There are a lot of people who miss the point, that's why we're in this issue in the first place. I certainly hope something positive will come from this discussion.

Edited by Chief
1 hour ago, Chief said:

I've reported houses for stupid prices and they are ignored and then I'm told that Property Management won't regulate house prices. So, here we are. Here's to hoping that the new request system helps to balance out the supply/demand problem ?

I'll reiterate what we've discussed before.

We have tried in the past to step in and intervene when players were selling properties in sought after areas with high markups. Every single sale we tried to step in we were met with 'it's my house, I'll sell it for what I like'. Eventually we were told that we were not to intervene anymore.

It's very easy to blame the issue on Property Management but we have no control over what players decide to charge for their houses. Rather than putting a percent markup limit on property sales it would be more helpful if players stopped purchasing these properties at their highly inflated prices, which would in turn make the sellers reconsider what they are selling the property for.

Edited by Cara
  • Applaud 2
1 hour ago, Cara said:

Rather than putting a percent markup limit on property sales it would be more helpful if players stopped purchasing these properties at their highly inflated prices, which would in turn make the sellers reconsider what they are selling the property for.

First of all, I corrected myself later on, as seen below.

2 hours ago, Chief said:

I didn't mean to imply that there hasn't been direct intervention ever, I was simply referring to what happened in my scenario after reporting multiple properties, then repeating a discussion with someone in PM telling me that upper management instructed them not to regulate housing prices. There are a lot of people who miss the point, that's why we're in this issue in the first place. I certainly hope something positive will come from this discussion.

Second, how would you suggest having players stop purchasing properties at inflated values? That's easy to suggest, but how do you expect it to happen? You can't expect players to just stop buying houses lol. If prices aren't regulated, you can't expect people not to buy them at inflated prices. If people had the sense to not buy at inflated prices we wouldn’t be having a discussion about it, so clearly it’s an issue. I’m not the only one who feels this way. 

Many people have been here longer than others, so they've accumulated more money in that upper right corner of their screen. It's easy to agree with an open market when you've got the money to afford it. Without regulation, you will punish new players who will eventually come on to this server. Once prices have gone that high, it will turn their experience into a grind for script money before they can even afford a house. The $200,000 will no longer get them very far. They'll have to come to terms with that. Is this what upper management wants?

I can only hope this new housing request system will help balance out the desperation of players to buy a house and leave people with a fair chance to own one realistically with the right back story and character development. My fingers are crossed. I'm rooting for it.

Edited by Chief
13 hours ago, JustAnM43 said:

Picked up a culdesac house for a solid realistic price thanks to a properly developed character selling one to me. Price was in the 500 grand range. Day after, I'm met by a message of a person offering me 1.2-1.8m for it. It's absolutely ridiculous. Houses are being super inflated because people are strictly chasing profits and no roleplay whatsoever. Buying a house and trying to flip it for double that is silly and shouldn't be encouraged. Prices should be kept realistic. Inflation's currently starting to hurt the server a lot and only the richest characters are able to own properties.

Hell, I've seen Hawick apartments that have a market price of 110 grand go for 600 grand plus. Like, what the hell? And then whoever buys it is gonna try selling it for 700, then 800, and it keeps going up. I straight up refuse to sell my property for two-three times as much because why the hell would I mark up a house for 1-2 mil and restrict everyone but the richest from owning it and using it. The current house prices are insane and the house request system that's been brought in should hopefully at least somewhat balance it.

This was perfectly said. I hope that @Late someday gets the culdesac house we've thought of moving him into since 2017, but with this housing market, we'll keep dreaming. 

I will say though that I wish you could sell apartments for 100% marketprice. I own an apartment in Vinewood, but I found a better one down the street, and now I don't want the first one. I'd rather sell it for $90,000 back to the server than have to deal with selling it to a player, although I'd probably only sell it for the market price if I sold it to a player. Only receiving 50% back is what's making me hold onto it right now as I wait.

I’d personally love it. Even if it was ran by admins but you still had to include roleplay when it comes to buying a property, that would be a huge boost. Another server I came from had this and it worked extremely well. 

15 hours ago, SugarDavis said:

I think this topic was discussed in this thread

The core of the issue is that we have more money being injected into the server than is being spent. For example, being unemployed gives you $5000/hr. It's very easy to amass wealth just AFKing the game. The simplest solution to fix inflation is lower the amount of money going into the game. Give less money for unemployment, raise taxes, etc.

In regards to houses, right now owning a house carries very little financial burden. This is not the case in real life. I'm a firm believer we should introduce a system of having to pay for utilizes, like you see with real home ownership. Perhaps every pay period make it so you get charged something like $300 for utilities. You could also RNG a possibility of some kind of repair being necessary to the house. Maybe every pay day it's something like a 1% chance you get a $1000 bill from a plumber or electrician. 

Just some ideas from me. 

the 5k / hr is for first 40 hours of that characters life, past that person will no longer receive that amount. This was done to not make it a grind fest for $ when you start a new character but allow you to start off roleplay while you get 200k which is enough for a car and rent / apartment.

More over yes, places like Mirror Park & Vespucci Canals are well a bit limited on supply of houses for sale, there's I'd see a price spike due to limited supply. Places like Hawick, Vinewood (apartments), Strawberry, Davis should spike double Market-Price, but that is it. You can not sell a house that is located in an area with high crime rate for the same you could Mirror Park house.

Edited by Vash Baldeus
2 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

the 5k / hr is for first 40 hours of that characters life, past that person will no longer receive that amount. This was done to not make it a grind fest for $ when you start a new character but allow you to start off roleplay while you get 200k which is enough for a car and rent / apartment.

The 200k is good, but unless the new player is really hoarding cash (and therefore, likely below the roleplay standard on the server) the most you'll ever make is probably about 200k more than that spread out over the course of a year.

You can imagine that you run into a problem where properties are going for prices in the millions or high hundreds of thousands.

Edited by HaveADream