Inflation & Economy Discussion

Blöp

People hold onto every cent like its their last unfortunately, and only think about income, profits and how much your making off them. I have a part in running a business here on the server and people are convinced I'm rich or making some insane kind of money the reality is that I'm making a very very small net margin but im trying to bring more interesting roleplay to the server something that wasn't here before and now there is. Had I just played more when the mining job was great and the server had 70/500 players before the migration, I'd have mega millions now and I wouldn't have this issue but because I only cared about roleplay I didn't see it as an attractive option.

• 3 weeks later...

GTA W does a lot to control the economy and prevent it from going out of control like RP servers tend to after a long time.

If GTA W increased the spending people had to do like suggested in this topic it'd help with this and also give people like I more motivation to play and actually activity participate.

One of the problems with wealth in  GTA W you either earn a little or a lot. Work as a mechanic or a car dealer (if you actually know what your doing) you can make a fortune. Work at any other job? Your going to be poor for a long time.

When I joined GTA W I got a job at a garage as I enjoyed it my only actual goal on the server was to buy a Retinue. At the time as a mechanic garages was only getting 50% of the money players paid and I was on 20% commission. I made a fucking fortune and since then garages now get 100% of money from players (they do got costs obviously) and its not unusal to see garages giving 40%+ commisson, this causes them to gain a insane amount of wealth if they work a lot which is GREAT. But at the same time it's bad, it means that theres a large gap between players, just as someone knows how to RP there shit when it comes to cars they are able to get rich above what they want. Or need. Admins do counteract this by making sure everyone has IC development for there assets, for example if you have 7m and no house you'd get in trouble.

Adding extra bills and or evening out the progression money wise from jobs would really help the economy.

I know what I've said about some jobs having the possiblity to make people rich extremely quickly may annoy a few people as you do work hard to earn that money in those jobs don't get me wrong and you do earn it. But when the economy is set out for around 5,000$ per hour as the average earnings (working as a bartender, guard or a scriptwise job) it doesn't work.

I'm not saying that GTA W should try and keep everyone poor but they should make it easier for people in different professions to do okay for themselves. I feel sorry for people whom spend 800k on a business and only income in reality was the 1k per customer for the first 20 (not sure if its still implemented) especially if they buy clubs and such that require lots of staff.

You could say if someone can afford 800k on a business they are already rich, okay that might be the case but how do you expect people who run businesses to be keen on giving players RP jobs when they are spending all there money on those employees, they are going to be cheaping out in every possible way.

I feel the gap between the rich and the poor players are already quite extradionary as it literally depends on the RP they do, you want to RP like the average joe? Your probably going to stay on the poor side maybe wealthy if you try. You RP as a car guy and know how to RP mechanic wise, your likely to end up rich which in reality, would that happen? Not as regularly as it can on here.

14 minutes ago, changooman said:

I think the economy is fine as it is for the most part.

My only real concern is how the government is seemingly pumping millions in aid from subsidies out of thin air. 

fax machine ?strait fax

As it currently stands, inflation is heavily controlled by the different teams within the GTA:W staff organization. Limits on flip prices of properties have been placed, most vehicles do not inflate in price because the dealership prices of a fresh cars are always static, equity is.. well.. a rarity to be practiced on the server. As I have understood from reading previous threads the total amount of money that exists on the server is limited and defined. No money printing (spawning) will occur without proper reasoning. Although I would highly recommend the introduction of a sophisticated taxing system and a tax regulation/supervising entity like the IRS. Luxury taxes can be introduced for luxury products (defined as products that are not considered a necessity for a person's/family's well being. e.g jewelry, designer products, luxury vehicles and air crafts, etc...). A value-added tax can also be introduced, which will require business owners to do more than just hire employees, /openbusiness, /closebusiness and deposit the profits. It will require people to keep track of their sales so that they pay the value-added taxes to the government. I think the latter would create a lot of activity for a tax related government entity and we might see some cases of tax fraud rise up here and there. Other taxes have been suggested here which I think are all great to see. I am definitely biased because I am in the financial RP side of the server, but I believe most people would not mind introducing new taxes OOCly (although ICly it would be an inconvenience which is understandable and somewhat realistic). As for other financial means of creating inconveniences for people, that will be decided by the proper parties.

Edited by Radhwan

I say the same thing every time a thread like this comes up.

Like the OP said, characters need much greater liabilities, like rent, etc.  My character is living in a beautiful LS apartment for less than his welfare check.  Expand the variety of rp jobs, make them pay an average salary for a couple of real life hours of job rp like I do at 24/7, and have realistic average scripted rents.  Stop letting people grind the heck out of per-iteration script jobs to buy properties outright.  Make them make rent to own payments until they've paid off the realistic cost of the property.  Create many more scripted player housing opportunities, like in the hotels and high rise apartment blocks.  People start with 200k, so they have a savings cushion when the first start out.  Rents in Hollywood are something like $1500 for small 1 bedroom or studio apartments.  Homes routinely costs 1 million dollars.  

I know this is very threadbare and people will see all kinds of problems, but I've gone into much more detail in other posts.

Well for example in World of Warcraft, the currency is gold. What makes gold valuable are buying items with it, therefore gold will always be usefull. 
Now in a roleplay enviroment it's safe to say that realisticly the main expenses should be, eating, drinking, taxes, fuel, entertainment.   But currently the previously mentioned expenses, are NOT REALLY EXPENSES. No one really eats or drinks, taxes are a joke compared to earnings, fuel is dirtcheap, and entertainment is , well funny enough the most expensive one and yet cheap. After buying a house, business and a nice car, you're basically all set.

Now for the people who are extremly rich, you can do a 20% annual "Money Squish". Rich will remain rich.  Funny thing is, rich is just a bank account number here, as they're not allowed expansion. So the rich has nowhere to spend their money. A house in Chumash costs more than a business downtown LS which is weird to me. Some might say the GTA W and IRL are not 1:1, but this is just not realistic. Now what can the rich do if he/she is not allowed to expand? Stack money? I guess. 

Also there is this discussion going around for truckers who are rich, and yes It's true, truckers get extremly rich. What I don't understand is, why are they allowed to farm huge amounts and then get bashed for spending time IG. Let's say as a government employee myself I get paid $30.000-ish per 10 hours played. Now the trucker can earn waaaaay more during those 10 hours. Some might say I get paid to roleplay, while the trucker has to do generic actions.
In my opinion, that's the perk of having a better job. Now why mention this you may ask? In a society there is a hierarchy, and some can afford stuff that other can't. 
The main reason our economy is inflated, is because anyone can afford anything that doesn't require staff review(Property Applications). They can even buy a business from another player, because let's be honest, no one really checks your background when you buy a business from another player. 

To put an end, I will express myself with a pretty unpopular opinion. Starting paychecks are destroying the economy. Yeah you can say the economy recycles itself, you tax players, then new players get paid by the money that get taxed etc etc. Which is BAD.I don't care where that money comes from, starting with 250k after your 50 hours played is dumb. That is the reason I can't hire someone for my business because no one needs to RP working in other places. Because they either demand ridiculous payment or they won't work at all. Therefore we end up with rich people working at their own bars as bartenders, because they can't hire unless they pay stupid amounts for staff.

Edited by Gambler

What I'd do is the following. First reduce the newcommers paycheck income. As someone who already finished receiving those paychecks, I find myself in a situation where I have more money than I need, but not enough money to start a business. 

Business owners should instead recieve an hourly payment, depending on the amount of people entering into their business. Or recieve a weekly payment based on the roleplay they show on forums. This money wouldn't come from the visitors pocket, but it'd just be spawned. That money would need to be used to create roleplay, by hiring all kind of workers. Not only security guards, bartenders and exotic dancers, but office workers, maids, construction workers, models, photographers, lawyers, etc. Then, non in game profitable businesses, yet realistic could arise. 

But then, the problem of money spamming comes. I'd increase the cost of properties at nice areas of town. Now there's not much of a difference. Also, nice cars could be even more expensive. I'd add taxes too, for properties and luxury vehicles.

Let me give you an example, a movie Vinewood company. It wouldn't produce, any actual video players would watch in a movie club. But if money is spawned to hire actors and actesses, cameramen, script writers, make up artists, journalists to write about the movie, drivers, etc. It'd create a lot of roleplay. And the movie would just be screenshots of the roleplay created shown on the forums. This could only happen if the people involved received money for their roleplay effort, even if they don't generate consumption.

In fact, I'd just create a new staff member category called RP creator. They'd need to be trusted members of the comunity, and in the application show what assets and money do they require for the roleplay they want to create. They'd then need to show proof on what the spend the money on. 

Edited by Lucie
On 6/13/2020 at 6:48 PM, Lucie said:

Or recieve a weekly payment based on the roleplay they show on forums. This money wouldn't come from the visitors pocket, but it'd just be spawned.

Spawning more money into the system just inflates the money. 

• Upvote 1