Realism - thoughts.

Tsarna

The issue is substance, Tsarna. A fresh character that role plays having everything and anything, a huge bank account and nothing to role play it off of — is substance-less, boring and uninteresting. There's no background, no history, no possibility of talking to people about their actual struggles of a come-up, what they went through and so forth.

Roleplaying a character like that from the get-go is lazy, and it doesn't allow you nor anyone who interacts with you to enjoy the substance and development of a flushed out, detailed character — they instead get a carbon, lack-lustre character who has just exploaded to the top with absolutely nothing to prove it. It's just boring? 

It's easy to make a character sound real on paper, but actually making them feel it and show it to others is another thing, and what that type of character achieves is nothing but a set-standard, boring (and repetitive) cycled character that has spanned since the dawn of egotistical roleplay.

Edited by owen
Just now, Tsarna said:

So, here we are. We claim it to be Heavy RP server. Yet, if someone plays as a rich kid, he will have poor RP. ? Well, I am not RP-ing as a rich kid, because I have worked my ass off, but I do think, that others should not put their nose into, how or who someone is. If he RP-s as a rich kid, and does it well. He should be allowed to - or does he/she get extra scrutiny for that?
Let me remind you - it is not the 19th century. where the poor immigrants came to the United States, and all had to start from zero.

I never said they'd have poor roleplay. I said they'd have poor justification and zero development for the character they're portraying. 

I'm not telling anyone how to roleplay, I'm expressing my opinion on a general discussion thread. If anyone wants to listen to me? More power to them. if they don't? I don't care. Roleplay how you want to and I'll roleplay how I want. 

Like I aforesaid, if they have actual justification for roleplaying rich. Roleplay it until your mind's content.

Your last point is moot — what does that have to do with roleplaying born into the 0.01% of the population? .

1 minute ago, owen said:

It's easy to make a character sound real on paper, but actually making them feel it and show it to others is another thing, and what that type of character achieves is nothing but a set-standard, boring (and repetitive) cycled character that has spanned since the dawn of egotistical roleplay.

It's also easy to make a character sound substance-less on paper when distilling them into generalities. In the same way that we shouldn't assume all criminals/cops just do it for the shootings and chases, we shouldn't assume all the wealthy just do it to be wealthy. You could easily create an emotionally broken, distant, and distrustful character sitting on mountains of money who has difficulty believing that people have interest in them beyond money itself. There's also the role-play which can surround the maintenance and growing of wealth. It might seem lazy at a glance, but that's the point -- we don't get to know the internal workings of anybody's characters 'at a glance', and it's much healthier to assume that it's well-intentioned until proven otherwise.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to roleplay a wealthy character. As long as the backstory and execution of that character make sense, and the wealth is roleplayed realistically, that's perfectly fine. Being an eighteen year old with your own nightclub driving 4 sports cars and working at a coffee shop every other day is just not a realistic portrayal of wealth, and thats where people's problems lie when it comes down to seeing "mallrat" like characters, and why there's such a big stigma against them.

If you're roleplaying an immigrant who started from nothing and built their fortune up through hard work, that's also completely valid. What isn't valid is being a robo-worker at a bunch of venues while driving fancy sports cars and attending epic car meets. If anyone's at the point where they have multiple sports cars and still working three businesses full time? That's when I'd say it's a case of powergaming and poor portrayal. At that point the character would clearly be at a point to hire employees under them, and maybe help others in the same boat as they were get a leg up. Just an idea. 

6 minutes ago, owen said:

The issue is substance, Tsarna. A fresh character that role plays having everything and anything, a huge bank account and nothing to role play it off of — is substance-less, boring and uninteresting. There's no background, no history, no possibility of talking to people about their actual struggles of a come-up, what they went through and so forth.

Roleplaying a character like that from the get-go is lazy, and it doesn't allow you nor anyone who interacts with you to enjoy the substance and development of a flushed out, detailed character — they instead get a carbon, lack-lustre character who has just exploaded to the top with absolutely nothing to prove it. It's just boring? 

But yet, in society, we have those people too. I get your point, though. ?
It is definitely more interesting to play someone, who actually achieves those things. But, there lies the struggle - you will be put up with hurdles, like "you cant own property in Paleto, because you work in Los Santos", and this makes people de-motivated, tbh. 

9 minutes ago, Memozzy said:

Say it in a quick session "Heavy-RP-Heavy-RP-Heavy-RP" out loud and let's see if it loses its meaning any faster than you constantly bringing it up.

Sure you could of farted in the general direction of the thread an added more than what you're adding now.

How about listing what you'd consider petty criticism on someone's RP like I asked earlier?

12 minutes ago, nwah_ said:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to roleplay a wealthy character. As long as the backstory and execution of that character make sense, and the wealth is roleplayed realistically, that's perfectly fine. Being an eighteen year old with your own nightclub driving 4 sports cars and working at a coffee shop every other day is just not a realistic portrayal of wealth, and thats where people's problems lie when it comes down to seeing "mallrat" like characters, and why there's such a big stigma against them.

If you're roleplaying an immigrant who started from nothing and built their fortune up through hard work, that's also completely valid. What isn't valid is being a robo-worker at a bunch of venues while driving fancy sports cars and attending epic car meets. If anyone's at the point where they have multiple sports cars and still working three businesses full time? That's when I'd say it's a case of powergaming and poor portrayal. At that point the character would clearly be at a point to hire employees under them, and maybe help others in the same boat as they were get a leg up. Just an idea. 

End of discussion.

Just now, Tsarna said:

But yet, in society, we have those people too. I get your point, though. ?
It is definitely more interesting to play someone, who actually achieves those things. But, there lies the struggle - you will be put up with hurdles, like "you cant own property in Paleto, because you work in Los Santos", and this makes people de-motivated, tbh. 

No.

So what this looks like is, you're playing something that you probably shouldn't be playing and you got the pootie slap on a property you thought you should own because you feel you have the means. So here's my opinion on this. I have a good idea of what you do in character. Do I find it realistic for you to run your own trucking company and work a bar that you bartend at, while fundraising and you attempted to run some kinda Republican Party in LS?

Absolutely not. Here's why. Building yourself into a millionaire by owning a business is usually a ton of long hours focused on making sure your business flourishes. I see very little of that on this server. What you see a lot of is what you do, and use one of the super profitable businesses like running the bar to fund your high barrier of entry business of trucking which is basically just free income for you once you clear your vehicle cost.

That's not development. Our economy is skewed where you have the potential to gain an exponential amount of wealth by investing in things that are skewed in the opposite direction to make it easier on new players or people who are interested in something with a low barrier of entry. You take advantage of that and offer a slightly better rate than what the server does. It's borderline exploiting is what it is. But they don't say that, so I don't either.

You said earlier that you don't understand why people keep bringing the numbers in the top right into the argument, but your character seems to be very motivated in increasing that. That's also not development.

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, nwah_ said:

Agree with anything else, except this point. 
I am the opinion, that nobody says to a person, if he can work in their own company or not. If they do it - it is up for them to decide. If they wanna hire workers, that is good too. A person can drive ten sports cars and still work, what is the deal with that? Personally know a dude in Estonia, who invented rate.ee back in the 2000s, is a multi-millionaire, but still works as a barista. Are you gonna go to him and say it is not realistic?
My point - even wealthy people HAVE the opportunity to do what they want to do. You claiming it is "Powergaming" is quite obviously a overstatement. 

• Upvote 1