Your Fire Department

Truffle

Original legal faction thread name hype

Hello guys,

I know some (most) of you may not know who I am, so allow me to introduce myself: I'm currently the faction leader of the Los Santos Fire Department (Fire Chief Hunter). Ever since taking on the role around December of last year, we have been trying our hardest to get faction to the point where it needs to be and offer the community a quality fire department. Of course we still have more work to do, but I feel we have greatly improved recently.

We're making this thread to get feedback from the community on what you would like to see from us. We're constantly trying to improve, so anything you guys can tell us will be greatly appreciated.

As with other legal faction threads, if you have problems with an individual member, this is not the place to do it. Any OOC issues can be forwarded to High Command's PMs @Truffle @Sharvit @Roadtrain. Any IC issues can be done via Internal Affairs, available here: https://lsfd.gta.world/viewforum.php?f=325

Please discuss any questions, comments, concerns or suggestions you have for the faction. At the end of the day, we want to improve the FD experience internally, but we also want to provide the community with the best fire department we can offer, so any constructive criticism you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated. Either myself or someone from the department will respond to anything you guys have to say.

I just ask to keep things civil. Any unnecessary aggression will be reported and that goes for people in the fire department as well.

Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1

Speaking from years of experience, I believe one of the main issues that trouble fire department roleplay in general is lack of script support and that inevitably has a huge impact on how the community interacts with the faction itself. I don't blame the developers at all though, because there's understandably other priorities on their list and they're already doing a decent job at what they do so you have to adapt and work with what you got. But this will always be a problem for the fire department because more scripts would unequivocally give more room for more immersive interactions and when you don't have that, roleplay is limited one way or another.

Additionally, I feel like fire department roleplay is by nature way too complex to the point you can not simply make it fully realistic. What this means is, some people that interact with the fire department have zero idea of what's going on, and often get confused which makes the roleplay itself boring for them. Roleplay isn't all about being realistic, but ensure that both parties understand what is going on so they can act accordingly. With that being said, what I suggest is trying to find a balance between dealing with both fire and medical emergencies realistically while simultaneously making sure that the players know, at least from an out-of-character perspective, what exactly you guys are doing to them. Otherwise, it will just be a one-sided thing.

One last thing that I'd like to add is that Public Relations is significantly important. I suggest making the community interact with the faction in plenty more ways other than calls only. The last Lifeguard event was good, more of that needs to be done. Perhaps set up some public safety classes where you can teach people about first aid or the basics of fire, or more open house events such as barbecues. Something that would be cool would be firehouse tours, but I'm not sure if you already do them or not.

Edited by Shaderz
  • Upvote 1

Station open houses are a HUGE thing in the US (or at least where I'm from) a monthly open house event where members of the community can come to the station and interact with FD would be great.

I think doing some demonstrations would be interesting, The video below is obviously of a british fire brigade but the concept is universal.

More frequency in inspections would be nice. I've had multiple businesses in my time on this server and not once have I seen FD inspect my properties.

Overall I think FD does a pretty good job for the small number of times you guys actually get to go out and do your job. A few months back after I accidentally drove my truck off a cliff FD did a fantastic job working with PD to rescue me, taking into account everything from the terrain to my condition. 

12 hours ago, Henning said:

Station open houses are a HUGE thing in the US (or at least where I'm from) a monthly open house event where members of the community can come to the station and interact with FD would be great.

I think doing some demonstrations would be interesting, The video below is obviously of a british fire brigade but the concept is universal.

More frequency in inspections would be nice. I've had multiple businesses in my time on this server and not once have I seen FD inspect my properties.

Overall I think FD does a pretty good job for the small number of times you guys actually get to go out and do your job. A few months back after I accidentally drove my truck off a cliff FD did a fantastic job working with PD to rescue me, taking into account everything from the terrain to my condition. 

We actually do open houses whenever we have the time and it hasnt been too busy! With the brand new opening of Davis Fire Station 3, we’ll probably have another once things cool down call-wise! PR also has a lot more events in the works, including a possible battle of the badges.

We also like to go out to interact with the community beside inspections, but on that note, Fire Marshals are ramping up their inspections, they are limited by number, so it does take awhile. But they’ll get to everyone eventually. Besides inspections, fire companies like to go out and have lunch/dinner when we can in local businesses.

13 hours ago, Shaderz said:

Shortened for space.

For sure. Our script support is... limited to put it best. If it were up to us we’d have an expanding fire script, HazMat, a working ingame industry, more tools, a nozzle item that shoots water instead of the foam extinguisher, more weather scripts and even a particle gun, smoke would be nice. But we are limited by a lot. And the fact we’re not prioritized. (I should be fair, this has changed very recently, and FD is back on the priority list of development, but its still a long way to go.) in the meantime.

To your point of realism and complicated RP, boy do I understand. I’ve slowly weaned off the usual 60-100 pulse/measuring breathing by exact BPM. And these days I tend to ask if a pulse is weak or high or normal. And I tend to PM people “what do you want to RP medically?” And this’ll be true for a lot of FF’s. We have the knowledge and resources to help. You with your wound roleplay, all ya have to do is ask!

For the fire related RP. I have two things, more structure fires, and more accidental fires.

If you’re bored and want some fun, do /onduty, check if FD’s around (8+ is the magic number) and have your kitchen burn up while cooking, or an electrical socket that's shorted and burnt up a carpet, even a gas leak is appreciated! We’ve not had a chance to interact more with fires and the community, as most structure fires are arsons and even other fires like script ones, dont effect the community too much. (Besides Arsons). Even something as simple yet exceedingly dangerous like your character being stuck in a house/building that's currently on fire would make our MONTH in terms of roleplay and interaction. And that's not an exaggeration. 

PR has plans for a lot more events, and we’ll look into doing more open houses, those are fun. And demonstrations!

Final note, every firehouse currently manned is ofc always opened to the public! Like any good fire station.

EDIT: Also on that note, call FD when you have minor injuries or your character is a germaphobe/frequent flyer. We’d love to have more minor medical emergencies too! If we’re not busy. 

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Applaud 1
21 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

If you’re bored and want some fun, do /onduty, check if FD’s around (8+ is the magic number) and have your kitchen burn up while cooking, or an electrical socket that's shorted and burnt up a carpet, even a gas leak is appreciated! We’ve not had a chance to interact more with fires and the community, as most structure fires are arsons and even other fires like script ones, dont effect the community too much. (Besides Arsons). Even something as simple yet exceedingly dangerous like your character being stuck in a house/building that's currently on fire would make our MONTH in terms of roleplay and interaction. And that's not an exaggeration.

Is this something that is simply RP'd via a 911 call or do we need any sort of permission for this? I didn't know this was a thing and I've been here well over a year lol. Would be more than happy to have a "situation" come up ?

Edited by Kestalas
8 minutes ago, Kestalas said:

Is this something that is simply RP'd via a 911 call or do we need any sort of permission for this? I didn't know this was a thing and I've been here well over a year lol. Would be more than happy to have a "situation" come up ?

Gas leaks you can basically do on your own, for fires you can do /report for some fire props and help with setting it up. Make sure FD’s got people around! It would suck if we didnt have the manpower to respond to a call! A /onduty would do great (8+ being the magic number, even 6+). Any member of the community can create roleplay like this! As long as admins are okay with it, and it isnt spammed. And doesn’t overwhelm us. It doesnt hurt to ask admins if they can contact FD’s senior fire officer on duty to see if they could handle a scene like an accidental fire. Communication is key!

We’d love to have more community interaction like that however!

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 1
Just now, KinnyWynny said:

Gas leaks you can basically do on your own, for fires you can do /report for some fire props and help with setting it up. Make sure FD’s got people around! It would suck if we didnt have the manpower to respond to a call! A /onduty would do great. Any member of the community can create roleplay like this! As long as admins are okay with it, it isnt spammed! And doesn’t overwhelm us. It doesnt hurt to ask admins if they can contact FD’s senior fire officer on duty to see if they could handle a scene like an accidental fire. Communication is key!

We’d love to have more community interaction like that however!

Perfect. Looking forward to it ?

On 4/7/2020 at 9:11 AM, KinnyWynny said:

For sure. Our script support is... limited to put it best. If it were up to us we’d have an expanding fire script, HazMat, a working ingame industry, more tools, a nozzle item that shoots water instead of the foam extinguisher, more weather scripts and even a particle gun, smoke would be nice. But we are limited by a lot. And the fact we’re not prioritized. (I should be fair, this has changed very recently, and FD is back on the priority list of development, but its still a long way to go.) in the meantime.

Bernie for President!