Crime Rate Control...

Dumplings

Just now, SupSupreme said:

I can see the logic behind your idea but it really won't change anything in my opinion, quite the opposite. If my memory serves me correctly, there was a long discussion about CK in connection to crime, also some sort of a "solution" but it was denied in the end. I really can't see any solution that could balance the amount of crime in the server but, that's what it is right now and to be honest, I don't think it needs a change, after all, it creates a lot of roleplay for both sides.

Yes, it creates RP for both sides but ruins it for the ones in the middle after having to RP a human who has to keep witnessing dead bodies every 20 miles or be hit by a car after just stepping out of their house because someone thought it's just fun to dorifto kaido in the city. The only reason why it would have an opposite effect is because of an inefficient/ineffective department or because of a lack of common sense or fear in the character portrayed as a criminal.

9 minutes ago, Dumplings said:

weeds out people who do it for the laugh, like you for example

Except it really doesn't. What you've proposed is a system which punishes players for roleplaying illegal characters.

I've a character that's not a 100% clean. "Resisting Arrest" is defined as;

Any person(s) avoiding apprehension from an officer by non-vehicular means, or resisting apprehension by any physical means.

This leaves a lot up to interpretation, and if I'm being honest - my character doesn't exactly dislike cops, but is (as an eighteen year old with a poor upbringing) rather scared. Wouldn't necessarily run, but that doesn't exactly mean that the whole situation would be comfortable, especially coming around to a frisk search.

Is it really fair for something like this to be a seven day sentence? I'm picking this one as an example, as the penal code defines it but very loosely. What can be pinned down as Resisting Arrest? Sure, you can argue "yeah you can fight that in court", but this just seems like an entirely unnecessary thing to do.

People who do it for laughs will do it no matter the systems you put in place.

This only serves to hinder players who uphold proper character portrayal. If you think a player is doing something just to troll or get on people's nerves... well, there's other mediums to handle such things.

Just now, Dumplings said:

Have I tried to make a suggestion that would bring more 'realism'? Yes.

Realism is fine, but do remember the player, please. Game balance is something to keep in mind when approaching topics such as this one.

Grow up and go argue else where.

I just see @eTaylor asking questions about your idea, moreso than arguing. If somebody's primary venue of roleplay is illegal roleplay, they don't want to sit in prison for four full weeks. That is a whole month OOC. A whole month isn't something that just breezes by in an instant, especially now that most of the world is in the state it is, and people working non-essential jobs have more free-time at their disposal.

Your primary argument seems to be to "weed out people who do it for the laugh", and I think that is something that you should report to administration, rather than casting a wide net and harming a good chunk of the illegal roleplay community.

Just now, hugopereira100 said:

Big nope, have admins enforce rules, if people can't play their characters properly and go on crime sprees, that's something that admins should handle.

Tell them to keep spectating every single person and watch them then, they wont. This can be an alternative.

1 minute ago, Wirbelwind said:

How does it punish people? They are free to RP within the implemented jail, are they not? Their own choices is what punishes them here, not the suggestion. If people don't want to sit in jail for a 1-2-3-4-whatever weeks, then don't commit crimes in broad daylight where you'll obviously be caught, examples being pretending the server is 2005 Need For Speed: Most Wanted and speeding/drifting in the heart of the city, or going into a heavily populated area to rob someone who's just walked out of their house or something. That's common sense and would take a special person to not realise they'd get caught.

8 minutes ago, Dumplings said:

Tell them to keep spectating every single person and watch them then, they wont. This can be an alternative.

Everything is good the way it is right now. And they won't watch every single person, they only need to watch the ones who have no common sense on how to roleplay a realistic character. ? It's still a big nope for me, the current system is good.

How does it punish people? They are free to RP within the implemented jail, are they not? Their own choices is what punishes them here, not the suggestion. If people don't want to sit in jail for a 1-2-3-4-whatever weeks, then don't commit crimes in broad daylight where you'll obviously be caught, examples being pretending the server is 2005 Need For Speed: Most Wanted and speeding/drifting in the heart of the city, or going into a heavily populated area to rob someone who's just walked out of their house or something. That's common sense and would take a special person to not realise they'd get caught.

Again, keep game balance in mind. There's more to crime than rooty tooty point and shooty and NFS: Most Wanted. My character does neither of that, and there's plenty of other, non-violent crimes that don't draw nearly as much attention as Kansei Dorifto through the street in front of the Mission Row station. 

I've singled out Resisting Arrest as a prime example of how far it could go. I kindly implore you to re-read my post as I believe there might be a misunderstanding of it. Yes, they are free to RP within the implemented jail, but at the end of the day, do remember that this is a game, and do remember that a player has to endure that time,

Not once did I mention an armed robbery or anything to do with vehicles. Whereas my example was indeed vague, and one could argue, lackluster -- I still don't see how a whole week for something that's very loosely defined in the penal code under "Resisting Arrest" is justified.

It punishes people by forcing them to pretty much can their characters for X time, even if they did all the precautions to not get caught, and just got caught because of them having perhaps a stroke of bad luck.

"Sorry bud, you're going in for 3 OOC months because we built a huge case on you. Enjoy the prison RP, you're free to RP there. ?"

The times are disheartening and won't change anything for the better is my perspective. This is coming from somebody with extensive experience on both sides of the coin. You need to keep it fun and engaging for both parties, but also fair towards the players. Nobody would want to be caught alive should this be implemented, as the replies do suggest.

It encourages the opposite of roleplay with Law Enforcement, and I simply am not fond of that.

I get where this post comes from but this is one of those aspects that comes to people being realistic themselves.  If we go with such steep charges we are going to see an uptick in police shootings and dm mentality come to life with people rather try their chances at escaping or being pked by the police.

For the crime statistics to get realistic I think this server really has to look at it's gangs.  Wars in this server are absolutely ridiculous with certain factions.  Where back and fourth attacks with a matter of hours makes the streets like a 3rd world country and people treating this like the base game GTA and not the realistic LA counterpart attempting to be portrayed.

I truly understand this feeling but unfortunately arresting for times like these is going to make things more unbearable.  For my character for example to be realistic myself and add realism to my faction if he is arrested under the three strike law or caught for a large time crime and found guilty I will be keeping him in jail and starting a new character.

59 minutes ago, Dumplings said:

weeds out people who do it for the laugh, like you for example

The second you made it personal, your entire argument collapsed.

No, this update is not needed and will do nothing to change the server for the better. If you believe criminals are RPing poorly, report them or confront them about it in PM.

As a final note, don't insult people because they disagree with you. The "like you" comment was clearly meant as an insult, don't try to claim otherwise. 

9 minutes ago, Dumplings said:

I find it rich that you're telling me to grow up but you're not even capable of handling respectful discourse. I've asked you a series of questions and you've made it your responsibility to feel offended. Let me just point out that your immature way of thinking doesn't only damage the server's illegal roleplay, it's reckless. You're looking at something you see as a problem at face value and apply a "solution" that is so impulsive it demonstrates the lack of thought you put into this. Instead of punishing OOC for roleplaying something that they're meant to roleplay, why not implement and support more systems for the law to conduct proper investigations. Implementing ridiculously unreasonable jail times does not make players stop to think to get away with their crime because they already do. All this would do is either alienate people to illegal roleplay, make people leave the server all together or incite people to go on mass shootings with police and conduct suicide runs. All the servers who implemented similar systems have revised them shortly after, this has been tried and tested. It doesn't work. 

6 minutes ago, Lmao said:

No, this update is not needed and will do nothing to change the server for the better. If you believe criminals are RPing poorly, report them or confront them about it in PM.

This. There is a system for reporting people who RP poor portrayal or break server rules. Use it. 

I agree that crime is out of control and more trigger happy than it has been in the past. I believe if this is happening, then the burden falls on the people it happens to. Report it if it meets the grounds of being bad portrayal or rule breaking. Admins can’t watch everyone, so the players have to help weed the bad apples out too. It’s a team effort. 

Edited by Kestalas