Corporations and a stock exchange index

Busch

We have 182727 other systems of far greater value that cant even be finished... while this seems like a lovely idea in my brain, it's simply far to complex to be carried out in a game.... 

In retrospect, nothing is stopping you from selling your shares/stock, and developing a buyer's market with rules and regulations... we dont have SEC here... so make your own investment company...

I think that a stock market is impossible to implement in GTAW.  There are many issues that are impossible to resolve, first one is a valuation of a company which is too complex for GTAW economy. Without a proper financial statement it is very difficult to valuate a company and its proper stock price.  Company's assets and revenues can be very voltile in an online game and present a non realistic stock price.

Expenses are impossible to roleplay becasue you barely have any taxes or any depreciations which are more common in real life scenarios. This will make each company profitable since there are almost no expenses other than salaries and investing in in-game assets.  Another issue is liquidity, in real life you can trade stocks in seconds but in GTAW where playerbase is relatively small you could wait days or even more when buying or selling a stock from others.

Instead of a stock market, the business script should allow businesses to have more than one owner and have the option of owning a portion of a business sold by its founders.  Properties should be allowed to be owned by more than one player as well, this option will create some investing roleplay.

I feel like a stock exchange for a small city is a bit unrealistic (the west coast only had one between 2001-2006) and I imagine the amount of coding, background research and implementation is hundreds of hours worth for something quite niche. Its a nice idea in theory but there's so many more things to get done (like server stability...). Plus as others said I don't think there is even much need as most companies can easily get their financing either via their owners or lenders without the need of going public.