GTA World MMA idea.

Narcan

1 minute ago, Five-oh said:

difference is that an ig internet isn't simulated (as of yet), meaning there are a number of things (like online applications) that just aren't feasible. given the means to portray any of the above while ig, we would likely do just that.

as far as combat goes: we have an actual gameplay mechanic in place, as well as other tools (/me, /do etc), along with the imagination of the playerbase, if click-fighting isn't to their liking.

I get that but in the same theory it means you shouldn't have to tab for any of the above. Auctions should be real things you go to and you should be signing up for jobs in the police force at the frontal desk. Again I'd just like to point out that people have mobile phones which they could watch these fights on and therefore still be tabbed in to comment ICly with their friends the reactions their character would have to the fight.

30 minutes ago, PRESCRIPTION said:

I get that but in the same theory it means you shouldn't have to tab for any of the above. Auctions should be real things you go to and you should be signing up for jobs in the police force at the frontal desk. Again I'd just like to point out that people have mobile phones which they could watch these fights on and therefore still be tabbed in to comment ICly with their friends the reactions their character would have to the fight.

but it's not remotely the same. if there were a platform with which we could handle lengthy paperwork, like contracts and the sort appropriately while remaining in-game, we would.  

but as far as fighting goes, we've got everything in the game required to do the deed. voluntarily taking it elsewhere and essentially away from the server, simply because it's not up to your personal standard isn't reasonable. going down that road, we might as well move racing oriented activities to Forza, cause it's got a wider selection of cars with realistic handling, and take gunplay to whatever realistic shooter that floats your boat.

i get where you're coming from and it's not like i don't understand what you're trying to accomplish, i just wholeheartedly disagree with your approach. i'ma be outie too, don't think i can add anything new to the discussion at this point. no hard feelings, gl dude.

Edited by Five-oh
12 minutes ago, Five-oh said:

but it's not remotely the same. if there were a platform with which we could handle lengthy paperwork, like contracts and the sort appropriately while remaining in-game, we would.  

but as far as fighting goes, we've got everything in the game required to do the deed. voluntarily taking it elsewhere and essentially away from the server, simply because it's not up to your personal standard isn't reasonable. going down that road, we might as well move racing oriented activities to Forza, cause it's got a wider selection of cars with realistic handling, and take gunplay to whatever realistic shooter that floats your boat.

i get where you're coming from and it's not like i don't understand what you're trying to accomplish, i just wholeheartedly disagree with your approach. i'ma be outie too, don't think i can add anything new to the discussion at this point. no hard feelings, gl dude.

I respect your points but your forza and shooting comparison isn't exactly fair. We don't need to go to Forza because we have a solid driving system that doesn't require you to /me pretending to be in a car. We have a PF/Illegal gun system which is brilliant alongside GTA V shooting mechanics; we don't have to /me shooting people with a pretend gun. We don't have the fighting mechanic and frankly as much as this is a roleplay server, nobody finds it entertaining to watch two guys throw /me's at each other with a /roll afterwards.  The roleplay it will create and the immersion, as stated above by another player, that it will provide will vastly make up for the other areas of roleplay around it, such as fan interaction and everyone being on the same page with what they've just witnessed. You watch a couple of minutes per round of a stream whilst still tabbed in if possible and everbody has just witnessed what happened. What sounds more exciting in these examples. You are watching a stream of something similar to this....

Everybody sees that and goes crazy ICly, "Did you just see that, he's out cold!" "Do you see the state of his face, he's so bloody!"

Or you see somebody "/me throws a head kick", /roll and wins roll, "/me knocks opponent out cold."

Sometimes having stuff up to the imagination is a good thing but in this case, how're you supposed to be hyped up and amped about that /me, in comparison to the video?

Just now, PRESCRIPTION said:

I respect your points but your forza and shooting comparison isn't exactly fair. We don't need to go to Forza because we have a solid driving system that doesn't require you to /me pretending to be in a car.

Just hopping in to play devils advocate, I'm already said my piece.

I think you have to take a step back and look at from the perspective that while you may feel the current driving system is solid, someone who is a car nut might come in and point out a bunch of IRL  issues with the GTA system.

You know MMA and appreciate it, as do I (Though it seems not on the same scale as you) but from the perspective of say, a car guy or your average person? Fighting IG through the mechanics or through /me's and/do's is already a solid enough system. They probably view it the same way you view driving or shooting.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see some genuine interest on this line of roleplay. Thanks for the mention or I would've more than likely missed this @Henning

Anyway, I've made a number of fights happen on the server since a couple years now. So I'll be happy to shed some light on this on the general response we see from the players as well as fighters.

First off, as much as I hate to say this, heavy text based roleplay is what we all signed up for, but it simply doesn't work as efficient when it comes to fighting.

The /me examples you pulled, our emotes would usually be of a higher quality, due to which it'd take a lot of time for each hit to go back and forth. So as for a viewer, it definitely starts to get boring and passive, no doubt about that.

Coming on to the suggestion, it's something I had over my head a few times, but never really put any effort into.

It's going to aid in a few things, make it more entertaining, we can get creative and back the match with some commentary, crowd chants and shouts, and just play it all with the cinema script in the arena. Another major issue was co-ordinating times for each fighter, giving everybody on the roster a fair chance to make their mark, this would help with the same too since they won't have to be present, but there'll still be a problem of tracking and maintaining balanced stats for fighters. You have to provide an edge to people putting in more work, but at the same time see to it an underdog can outperform too in a rare occurrence, so it's all going to be a headache if you go on with this.

All in all, it's got its ups and downs. If the cinema script is fixed and you're motivated in the long run to maintain and keep balanced stats, I could see it might play well, but it's going to come with a few headaches to the point you might get this is getting too much to handle for a game, I've been there myself. It comes down to the question are you really driven to pour into it for the long run, and something you wish to dedicate yourself to, for a game.

I couldn't handle it so we're just roleplaying bare knuckles with gta v mechanics fights, but maybe you could.

Edited by Flow
4 minutes ago, Flow said:

Nice to see some genuine interest on this line of roleplay. Thanks for the mention or I would've more than likely missed this @Henning

Anyway, I've made a number of fights happen on the server since a couple years now. So I'll be happy to shed some light on this on the general response we see from the players as well as fighters.

First off, as much as I hate to say this, heavy text based roleplay is what we all signed up for, but it simply doesn't work as efficient when it comes to fighting.

The /me examples you pulled, our emotes would usually be of a higher quality, due to which it'd take a lot of time for each hit to go back and forth. So as for a viewer, it definitely starts to get boring and passive, no doubt about that.

Coming on to the suggestion, it's something I had over my head a few times, but never really put any effort into.

It's going to aid in a few things, make it more entertaining, we can get creative and back the match with some commentary, crowd chants and shouts, and just play it all with the cinema script in the arena. Another major issue was co-ordinating times for each fighter, giving everybody on the roster a fair chance to make their mark, this would help with the same too since they won't have to be present, but there'll still be a problem of tracking and maintaining balanced stats for fighters. You have to provide an edge to people putting in more work, but at the same time see to it an underdog can outperform too in a rare occurrence, so it's all going to be a headache if you go on with this.

All in all, it's got its ups and downs. If the cinema script is fixed and you're motivated in the long run to maintain and keep balanced stats, I could see it might play well, but it's going to come with a few headaches to the point you might get this is getting too much to handle for a game, I've been there myself. It comes down to the question are you really driven to pour into it for the long run, and something you wish to dedicate yourself to, for a game.

I couldn't handle it so we're just roleplaying bare knuckles with gta v mechanics fights, but maybe you could.

You've kind of hit the nail on the head for me tbh bro. I never intended to come across and say that the way you did it wouldn't work and couldn't, but it's like you said it can get a little tedious to watch. It's going to take a lot of balancing and testing of a system before it can go ahead but I think I have the drive to do it but I guess only time will tell on that one. If I do go ahead with it I'd more than happy to get you involved, even as a sit back role if you feel you don't have the time or to get you fully on board running the show.  I appreciate what you set up and don't want to undermine your efforts; I just personally think this would be a way to keep up some great roleplay AND keep it entertaining for ALL involved. Thank-you for your honest feedback and again, be happy to have you apart.

I like this idea and something similar was put in place by someone when I roleplayed on the football team for the university faction on LSRP. They'd run AI games on Madden with our characters in the roster and then we'd roleplay the score and performance ICly.

This is a little different as you want to do it real time but it could still work. Another option would perhaps be having the stream only available to the fighters and then they'd mirror their characters moves and injuries IG? Either works but I think this would nullify the issue of having a room of people tabbed out watching a stream.

If the cinema script is fixed the original idea would work best as the fight would be extremely high paced and enjoyable rather than stopping for 20s every 30s to write out actions. This would make events extremely enjoyable and realistic.

Edited by r0yal
22 minutes ago, PRESCRIPTION said:

You've kind of hit the nail on the head for me tbh bro. I never intended to come across and say that the way you did it wouldn't work and couldn't, but it's like you said it can get a little tedious to watch. It's going to take a lot of balancing and testing of a system before it can go ahead but I think I have the drive to do it but I guess only time will tell on that one. If I do go ahead with it I'd more than happy to get you involved, even as a sit back role if you feel you don't have the time or to get you fully on board running the show.  I appreciate what you set up and don't want to undermine your efforts; I just personally think this would be a way to keep up some great roleplay AND keep it entertaining for ALL involved. Thank-you for your honest feedback and again, be happy to have you apart.

I hear you, never took the post that way lol. And sure, feel free to reach out to me at currylord#9879

16 minutes ago, r0yal said:

. Another option would perhaps be having the stream only available to the fighters and then they'd mirror their characters moves and injuries IG? Either works but I think this would nullify the issue of having a room of people tabbed out watching a stream.

Yep, this would be the perfect solution for people that like to PG their way to the top and also for salty losers.
They'd just have to mirror the actions of a private stream, the only thing I could add to this is that you'd let the fighters watch it, maybe write down some of the crucial actions that happen, the result, etc.
So then the fight would look something like this: Both fighters fight freely until crucial action in round one occurs, then they both fight freely until the end of round #1.

This would allow the fighters the freedom to shape their character in the ring whilst still staying true to the simulated match, it would also help long waiting times if they were to say, simultaneously watch the match and RP it out in the game.

I watched a fight IG couple nights back, whilst it was a proper lag punch fuck fest the roleplay around watching the fight was good. By taking the fight off the server are we not just halting roleplay for the 30(ish) people whom have gone to watch?

I don't think it's practical to have it on another client, and it's not practical to use /me's. Therefor they can continue scriptwise bashing the mouse button if it was my call.

Edited by Ministry