GTA V - FPS

Novanard

Not google, not other communities basically none was able to help me.

GTA V only gives me 40-65 FPS when it should give much more. 
Vsync is off yes. 

Specs: 
i5 9600KF 3.7Ghz
2x8 RAM. 
GTX 1660 6GB 

Plus when im playing GTA V the memory usage is 8-9GB out of 16 which shows that Im running a NASA Server and not a game. 

I've had a similar issue and its got me pulling my hair out. 
My system is more or less the same as yours.

Though curiously enough I've noticed that this FPS loss is gone after a full reinstall of windows and a fresh start on all data drives. 

After I ran into an issue with my PC I had to reinstall everything and wipe the drives clean. After setting it back up I noticed that GTA V runs much smoother for a week or two - then it's back to lost frames. Struggling to get 50-55 fps. Yet to figure out why.

I'm also having very big FPS problems, I can reach 50 FPS if I'm standing still in an area and there is not much going on. But as soon as I try to drive somewhere, it drops to around 5 FPS. The laptop I'm currently is a clean install of windows with only GTA V installed and in the past it was able to run it just fine. (By the past I mean a couple of years ago, it's my old laptop).

Probably the i5 and 1660, you need to at least upgrade your CPU if not both.

Edit: The 1660 should be fine, it's probably being bottlenecked by the i5. Also try setting GTA V's priority higher in Task Manager and considering using the OC tester in MSI afterburner.

Edited by Tyler.

@Novanard on what resolution are you playing? Also rage has some memory leaks sometimes and can be a pain in the ass, I'm running a Ryzen 1600 @3.8ghz 16gb ddr4 2666mhz ram and gtx 1070 on rage I get around 60-100 fps with everything maxed on 2560x1080 and sometimes it just dips below 30 and stays like that for some time. Also your HDD can be a bottleneck so I recommend if you have SSD and enough space on it to transfer the game to the SSD.

43 minutes ago, VikoMKD said:

@Novanard on what resolution are you playing? Also rage has some memory leaks sometimes and can be a pain in the ass, I'm running a Ryzen 1600 @3.8ghz 16gb ddr4 2666mhz ram and gtx 1070 on rage I get around 60-100 fps with everything maxed on 2560x1080 and sometimes it just dips below 30 and stays like that for some time. Also your HDD can be a bottleneck so I recommend if you have SSD and enough space on it to transfer the game to the SSD.

1920*1080

1 hour ago, saucey said:

There's clearly something wrong with your PC. I'm running an

i7-4790 3.6ghz 

8GB of HyperX Kingston DDR3 ram

GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB

and i'm getting way above 100 fps. 

On other games its completly fine, on CSGO I have 350-370 FPS 

Edited by Novanard

CS:GO is not really a very good benchmark for it, though.

What other games do you play? How does your FPS reflect in them? Has it always been like this, or has this been after a certain update? Is your FPS stable in Singleplayer or GTA Online? Is your game on an SSD or a HDD? Are your GPU's drivers up to date? Are you running some background processes?

What have you tried to do so far? Have you tried verifying the integrity of the game's files through Steam?

Like as said above, go to your task manager while GTAV is running and give it a higher priority, worked well for me with some issues I had with the past. 

I have specs close to yours and I'm getting 60-65 FPS with everything on High and a lot of visual enhancers installed.  

Let me know how did it work for you! ? 

Do you get better FPS in the singleplayer of GTA 5? Most of these FPS issues are RageMP related since we're playing in a script-heavy server. Your specs are quite good and more than capable of running GTA 5 without issues, though.