Police/SD vehicle thefts

Brox

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

So because roleplay is too tedious you shouldn't have to do it?

It wasn't a statement really, more of a question. I would never post a blanket statement like ''if it's tedious you don't have to do it'' however I do believe exceptions can be made for certain things that are regular / already covered by the script. Think of things like /engine, opening and closing a trunk, etcetera. In general spamming /me lines that don't add any value to a situation other then making the top left corner of your screen look more purple should be avoided. If it doesn't add to/enhance the situation, then what's the point?

That aside, on the specific subject of locking/unlocking cars, it's a case of whether or not you believe it will add positive value to the roleplay quality on the server. If it's something that everyone wants to do, sure, we could enforce it. I'm just saying that right now it's not the norm on the server, so there's no point in accusing one side of not doing it if the other doesn't either.

Edited by Big_Smokes

That’s gonna be a no for me dog.

In a perfect world where no one would abuse it constantly? Sure. But this isn’t a perfect world, this is GTA World. In GTA World people would attempt to steal cop cars all the time if they thought it was allowed and while PD Really needs to RP some fear around gang turf or in situations with a lack of backup, I think that adding another thing for them to worry about OOCly (not saying they don’t care ICly) is only going to hurt PD’s overall roleplay rather then help it. 

16 minutes ago, gporium said:

In roleplay servers cops had always more power than civilians, scriptwise and character wise, this should get neutralized.

Btw does cops have infinite gas here too?

Because police does have more power than civilians in real life?

Besides that point, I believe the current car stealing system is flawed in the first place. You wouldn't be able to hotwire a car these days, unless they're pre-1998. Since 1998, cars have immobilizers, cars have electronic ignitions and they are generally protected against hotwiring by itself. These days, with the cars of today, you'd need a vast knowledge of the computer system of a vehicle, a laptop and a OBD II connector to get into the system to disable the security measurements and then you can begin figuring out how to start the car. 

I believe the system should be revisited first to make it more realistic when stealing a car before even thinking about allowing police vehicles to be stolen.

Edited by Humour

Based on the behaviour I've seen from my side (looting bodies for weapons and other stuff like this is a battle royale game), I think giving blanket access to police vehicles would be a step in the wrong direction. Also, with the roleplaying of locking/unlocking - I believe there's an automatic /ame that happens when you do this which covers it?

Admin supervised actions generally work well, a case in point was the vehicle torchings that happened last year - it kept us on our toes and reminded us that it was a hostile neighbourhood as well as adding a sense of urgency and danger to the area which I thoroughly enjoyed. If stealing from police vehicles was to be considered, then I'd strongly suggest this be the minimum requirement because I worry that free-reign would encourage an almost unrealistic 'destroy the evidence' gamemode attitude.

Removing the script that protects LEO vehicles from being broken into will just open the door for abuse by a lot of people in this server.

While a case-by-case request system might work, I don't see the reason for it. Everything here can be roleplayed and does not require script access to the car by the person committing the crime. The person can just request an admin to delete the evidence from the squad car's inventory after the fact or if there are none online, he can ask a member of the target faction to do it for him. FYI, patrol cars are not evidence lockers.

Besides, to those saying that this should help reduce the number of cop cars being left everywhere with engines on, I don't think that this will change anything. Granted, I just came back to the server, but the only time a police car should be left like that is if the driver crashed and can't return to his patrol car or he got killed (not saying that there are no solutions to these problems, just pointing them out). 

• Applaud 1
5 minutes ago, gporium said:

If you guys have so much protection in your cars, why you scared to get rid of the script? Just locate the vehicle, and raid it then, and I was talking about scriptwise advantages which is pure non rp

Because I personally don't have faith that the security measures will be roleplayed correctly, even when supervised.

6 hours ago, eTaylor said:

You de/re-spawn the car.

Who does? Who's meant to know the car has been abandoned if the persons internet has crashed? Nobody.

Isn't that the responsibility of the agency responsible for the car?

Did you read what I wrote? If somebody loses connection and can't come back there is nobody responsible for it. You can't expect people to know where every abandoned car is.

What do you base this off? I thought police cars are safely despawned. 

How are they meant to be despawned if we can't find them to drive it back to the faction garage? Please read my reply before responding next time.

• Upvote 1

What if there isn't one around? What if no one online is able to tow? There's a reason we don't have these policies in place because of situations like the above. Everyone just takes responsiblity for the vehicle they use and despawn it when they go off. Sometimes people aren't able to. Just like civilians cars are stranded around, police cars are too. That doesn't mean we should allow them to be stolen and messed around with.

• Syrike locked this topic