COVID19

Raindance

All my regular shifts have been pulled and I’m stuck on a haphazardly constructed security detail working double and triple shifts for “essential” businesses. I have gotten into 17 physical altercations so far and it’s gotten to a point where we kind of just isolate ourselves on site to avoid contact. I have no idea why half of these businesses are even still open. We’re suppose to enforce all these preventative measures but the majority doesn’t adhere to anything. Customers attack each other for everything. 

People here keep joking around about how it’s just the flue, it’s not so bad, and “I decide for myself” is also a common rebuttal. People think the measures are excessive. They don’t understand that their negligence spreads the virus to the people at higher risk for complications. The government won’t tell people how the virus actually works and I feel like that’s adding to the dismissal of it.

For those that don’t know: the virus attacks, among other things, the epithelial cells in your lungs. Upon contact it connects with the ACE2 receptors on these cells. Here it injects itself into the cell and starts reproducing. The symptoms you eventually get are the result of your immune system responding and being attacked by the virus. As it runs it’s course your immune system will eventually clear the virus. The damage done to the epithelial cells in combination to your exhausted immune system leave you at the mercy of bacteria. Without your immune system and the epithelial cells the bacteria have free reign to reproduce, grow and enter through the damaged areas. Here it enters your bloodstream with often fatal results.

This isn’t something that only effects old or sick people. Over half of our people in the ICU here are not in the category considered to be at risk. Be careful out there.

• Gall locked this topic