RL Music Used for IC Purposes?

Vanity

I still find it kind of hilarious that we are literally using rockstars product instead of "making our own game" but telling people they should be making there own music to pretend to be a character in said "borrowed" platform. 

If you can literally pretend that you are a character in a game, you should be able to pretend that you haven't heard a song before or that more than one artist could have recorded it. 

At the end of the day it's a game folks. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Westen said:

I don't know if this has been covered...but what about covers? You could just say your character sang a cover of it. Unless I'm missing something, that's a decent compromise both ways?

Seen people catch slack over it either way, can't remember which character exactly but I remember them using a cover of I THINK "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as their character's interpretation of it (uploaded as an audio file on FB) and someone was in the comments foaming at the mouth linking all this persons IRL covers to try shame this character's "cover."

I don't mind people having a problem with this whole weird IC/OOC mash up where music exists in both "worlds" which causes this weird conflict but you're a prick if you go out your way like that to ruin people's fun when it's harmless overall. 

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, sksk said:

enjoy friend

Even though I don't 100% agree with what DOLL did (even though they seeked persmission from the artist) the whole situation surrounding this was stupid from both sides. 

THAT report being a great example of what NOT to do from both sides of the argument. 

There is a difference between impersonating an artist and using multimedia as a voice claim. 

Either way the whole point is... RP is a collaborative project and if you start nitpicking about inconsequential things then the community suffers. 

Aka learn to let minor things go so that everyone can have fun.