RL Music Used for IC Purposes?

Vanity

Very lovely to see all the narcissists here become vicariously offended over something they take so incredibly personal for no other reason. Somebody using a song is none of your concern nor is it your position or ego to take up a personal crusade as if it’s your work - and as if you can decide whether the creator would be upset. Real life skills and financial assets should at no point determine the way you roleplay a character. It’s nothing but pure ego buffing to claim the monopoly on creative characters just because you get to throw money at actors and have a premium video editor.

• Upvote 1

in my own opinion music industry RP is way more fun to do when you're the one actually making the tracks for ur character. You get to do in game location references, say shit that happened roleplay wise, diss other characters. I had a whole music group on GTA W before one of the artists got banned, we had a whole music video out, I'ma try to get him to re-upload it 

But anyways, I don't frown upon voice claim RP at all. People may have foreign accents, voice doesn't match their character, or simply can't rap. I can't rap myself but making IC songs is fun as hell so lmao. 

But please, if you're going to do a voice claim, please do some research into it and find the most unknown rapper you can. 

Edited by Oso Eli
11 hours ago, eTaylor said:

Very lovely to see all the narcissists here become vicariously offended over something they take so incredibly personal for no other reason. Somebody using a song is none of your concern nor is it your position or ego to take up a personal crusade as if it’s your work - and as if you can decide whether the creator would be upset. Real life skills and financial assets should at no point determine the way you roleplay a character. It’s nothing but pure ego buffing to claim the monopoly on creative characters just because you get to throw money at actors and have a premium video editor.

I'm a narcissist because I have a different opinion from you? Isn't that why were here so we can discuss things?

I'm not offended by anyone using a song and claiming it as theirs, far from offended - I just think it causes too many issues in regards to other players just so a person can claim some Facebrowser clout. 

In a roleplay server that has its claws dug into realism and using real world subjects, the artist exists in our timeline. No matter who they are - that person exists within our server lore.

So if that person exists and another person takes their song for their own character, people WILL always argue that someone exists and the song was stolen.

It's moronic to think that everyone should have to agree with, "oh yep, that's definitely Random_Roleplayers song! Not Soundcloud_Artist454, that guy doesn't exist! Let's just pretend he doesn't exist in the world so one person can have a few likes on Facebrowser!"

You can roleplay a musician without stealing someone's song. Do it all in game and write a few bars yourself and toss them in the chat.

My whole point with being against it is that it just causes issues. That's not narcissistic because I have an opinion that that is different from yours.  

Edited by ashlyii
4 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

I'm a narcissist because I have a different opinion from you? Isn't that why were here so we can discuss things?

I'm not offended by anyone using a song and claiming it as theirs, far from offended - I just think it causes too many issues in regards to other players just so a person can claim some Facebrowser clout. 

In a roleplay server that has its claws dug into realism and using real world subjects, the artist exists in our timeline. No matter who they are - that person exists within our server lore.

So if that person exists and another person takes their song for their own character, people WILL always argue that someone exists and the song was stolen.

It's moronic to think that everyone should have to agree with, "oh yep, that's definitely Random_Roleplayers song! Not Soundcloud_Artist454, that guy doesn't exist! Let's just pretend he doesn't exist in the world so one person can have a few likes on Facebrowser!"

You can roleplay a musician without stealing someone's song. Do it all in game and write a few bars yourself and toss them in the chat.

My whole point with being against it is that it just causes issues. That's not narcissistic because I have an opinion that that is different from yours.  

Still find it hilarious how it’s not directed at you but you still managed to feel addressed. But hey, I’m not an psychologist so what do I know? People taking a song doesn’t effect you, or me, or anyone else. Just let people express themselves. No one’s dying.

Ignore my green name for a moment when making these comments, as it is a controversial topic even internally in staff as well. 

But personally, I don't see an issue with it as long as it is transformative.

If you just post someone else's video or song with their own album cover, I'm not a fan of it. But if you use someone else's song and create your own music video, album art and such around it, I think it can be done in a interesting fashion and I would approve of it. 

17 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Still find it hilarious how it’s not directed at you but you still managed to feel addressed. But hey, I’m not an psychologist so what do I know? People taking a song doesn’t effect you, or me, or anyone else. Just let people express themselves. No one’s dying.

As I'm one of the people disagreeing, I think your post is aimed at everyone in that party.

If people are free to take a song, then those that disagree are free to reply ICly and say, "No it isn't, here's here's the real artist." - that's why there should be issues with this. Because people will never agree, you will never force one side to accept "Yep, that's definitely your song ICly!" - it won't happen. 

Just now, ashlyii said:

As I'm one of the people disagreeing, I think your post is aimed at everyone in that party.

If people are free to take a song, then those that disagree are free to reply ICly and say, "No it isn't, here's here's the real artist." - that's why there should be issues with this. Because people will never agree, you will never force one side to accept "Yep, that's definitely your song ICly!" - it won't happen. 

You just ignore those people?

5 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

You just ignore those people?

And why is that something we should be actively doing? Roleplayer A posts a clip of an artist's song claiming it's theirs - Roleplayer B posts the actual Soundcloud rappers clip and says "this is my favorite artist, it's not you". You can't force one side to ignore the reality of how we base the server on real-life. 

As I said, if the admins ruled that, "Okay, from now on - Los Santos is it's own contained world. No talking of any real celebrity or world event, we're a contained lore and only the things that happen in San Andreas is our universe" then I'd be 100% okay with people taking songs and claiming them. But as we actively can talk about real world events and people - then to me, people will always give resistance back and say, "No, that person exists and you're stealing the song." which is where my issue lies with it. 

You don't have to actively post song clips to roleplay a musician, if you come up to me ICly and say, "I'm a musician" then my characters going to be intrigued, which falls flat if you've taken someone else's song that my character recognizes as being another artists. You can't expect a character to just accept what they've been told.

Edited by ashlyii
Just now, ashlyii said:

And why is that something we should be actively doing? Roleplayer A posts a clip of an artist's song claiming it's theirs - Roleplayer B sends posts the actual Soundcloud rappers clip and says "this is my favorite artist, it's not you". You can't force one side to ignore the reality of how we base the server on real-life. 

As I said, if the admins ruled that, "Okay, from now on - Los Santos is it's own contained world. No talking of any real celebrity or world event, we're a contained lore and only the things that happen in San Andreas is our universe" then I'd be 100% okay with people taking songs and claiming them. But as we actively can talk about real world events and people - then to me, people will always give resistance back and say, "No, that person exists and you're stealing the song." which is where my issue lies with it. 

You don't have to actively post song clips to roleplay a musician, if you come up to me ICly and say, "I'm a musician" then my characters going to be intrigued, which falls flat if you've taken someone else's song that my character recognizes as being another artists. You can't expect a character to just accept what they've been told.

If I was posting clips I wouldn’t really give a damn what people think to be honest. Can’t imagine it being different for others that actually do it. You’re reading way too deep into this.

1 minute ago, eTaylor said:

If I was posting clips I wouldn’t really give a damn what people think to be honest. Can’t imagine it being different for others that actually do it. You’re reading way too deep into this.

But again, that's you personally.

Other's posting the clips are doing it for approval of people and likes. As evidenced by the DOLL incident - some people /do/ care how their character's reputation is perceived and made a forum report because they were called out for it.