RL Music Used for IC Purposes?

Vanity

11 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

There's only so much you can do without actually having the skills or know-how to learn how to actually make music.

Haley Connors wrote a whole album with just lyrics and posted them as if it was a release. It was really well done and I credit her for it massively. 

Write your own music and ask a friend to sing your words or pay for a singer on Fiverr for example. The argument that "they're not hurting anyone" isn't a good argument because their actions do affect others. As I said, nothing stops a person from taking an artists song - and then another person doing the exact same thing to the same artist. Nothing stops a person calling them out saying, "This isn't you". 

It's such an awkward line to tread that it isn't worth it at all and you'd be best off thinking of other ways to role-play as a musician. You don't have to do it all through Facebrowser, you can do it in-game with the animations and chat we have.  

Nothing's stopping it, but it should be common sense not to. Nobody copied Mr Grifo's music videos on LSRP, they used other artists. If people applied common sense nothing would come of it but good roleplay.

I'm all for writing my own lyrics, did it for a while on LSRP, but it's generally unrewarding. People like visuals & sound, nobody wants to sit there and read lyrics off the forum whilst imagining how the song sounds. Haley Connors deserves respect for doing what she did,

It's not always easy to write entire albums especially from a 'im writing this for my character' perspective, but personally? The guy who spent half a day creating a music video on menyoo or whatever should also get some props aswell. He/she may not have wrote their own song, but fact that they put effort into a video for people to enjoy should also get some respect, atleast enough for people who know whatever artist was used to refrain from trashing everything simply because they feel some type of way about it.

I remember on LSRP when the video I linked somewhere above this comment was created, the artist in question found the video and reached out giving the people who made it props, he even hopped on the forums and talked to them a little, the same thing happened with another artist from the exact same genre. People appreciate promotion, and if someone's promoting you by literally creating a music video to one of your songs on a videogame, I personally don't see how that'd affect anybody in the slightest, especially considering that none of these IC music videos ever get monetized. Nobody's losing anything.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Applaud 1
11 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

Nothing's stopping it, but it should be common sense not to. Nobody copied Mr Grifo's music videos on LSRP, they used other artists. If people applied common sense nothing would come of it but good roleplay.

I'm all for writing my own lyrics, did it for a while on LSRP, but it's generally unrewarding. People like visuals & sound, nobody wants to sit there and read lyrics off the forum whilst imagining how the song sounds. Haley Connors deserves respect for doing what she did,

It's not always easy to write entire albums especially from a 'im writing this for my character' perspective, but personally? The guy who spent half a day creating a music video on menyoo or whatever should also get some props aswell. He/she may not have wrote their own song, but they put effort into a video for people to enjoy should also get some respect, atleast enough for people who know whatever artist was used to refrain from trashing everything simply because they feel some type of way about it.

I remember on LSRP when the video I linked somewhere above this comment was created, the artist in question found the video and reached out giving the people who made it props, he even hopped on the forums and talked to them a little, the same thing happened with another artist from the exact same genre. People appreciate promotion, and if someone's promoting you by literally creating a music video to one of your songs on a videogame, I personally don't see how that'd affect anybody in the slightest, especially considering that none of these IC music videos ever get monetized. Nobody's losing anything.

I am one of those people who has spent 8 hours + making Menyoo videos. I even made a character specifically as an outlet to post my videos because it's what I enjoy doing with my spare time. My video won the faction video contest (with help from Flash on sound-work and the voice actors/members of the PD) and it took me days to complete - I didn't get anything for it, not even the prize because I gave them up so the PD could have a raffle - but I enjoyed making it as I consider myself a creative person and I wanted to represent the LSPD.

My character Nova exists purely to create videos, some of them are music videos, parodies of TV shows, anything I want to recreate - but I don't have her claim them as the artist behind them, I just love the songs. 

Actually role-playing that you created the song really does blur the lines. As I said, we're a community that's server is set in the real world - this makes it complicated because technically that artist /does/ exist in our universe, the same as Taylor Swift or Donald Trump does. 

Nothing stops a person from role-playing what they want (barring realism and game limitations). You can role-play a musician and just write a few lyrics down, and go perform in-game. I used to run a bar in the server that was all about that, people "performing" their songs by writing the lyrics out while stood on stage or singing karaoke. You don't need to actually post a song to role-play a musician unless you're after some form of clout - but at the same time you have to expect that people will fire back if they know the artist because you can't just make that artist not-exist given how the server bases itself.

I would have a totally different opinion if Nervous and the staff team turned around and said, "The server is now based on our own interpretation of the world. There is no Taylor Swift or Donald Trump. We have our own lore and our own world." - Now the artist doesn't exist, so you could use whatever song you wanted and claim it as your own. I'd 100% support that. But given the current standing of the server, I just don't think it's a good idea to take other peoples songs (even if credited) because people will /always/ say, "You didn't make this, this artist did" and you can't really blame them for that.

Edited by ashlyii

stealing other peoples' music for your own character's benefit is lazy and immersion-breaking.

if you want your char to create music, be creative about it yourself and stop stealing other people's hard work to reap your own benefits. i've seen absolutely amazing demonstrations of people going to lengths to have their own characters' songs, like writing their own/getting someone to write lyrics for them, then having someone sing it for them (Fiverr is a great website for this, lots of freelance stuff going on), OR just do a text-based song, like you may have seen Haley Connor do in the past. it was all written with RP'd vocals etc, it was really creative and i enjoyed it.

stop trying to justify literally stealing other peoples' work and bragging that your char created it...

• Applaud 1
8 minutes ago, joshua said:

stop trying to justify literally stealing other peoples' work and bragging that your char created it...

Even though I agree with your points I don't think anybody here is inherently "stealing" people's music and/or bragging about it, the DOLL situation for example is the exact opposite of that and I feel it's one of the main reasons a thread like this was made. 

People aren't really complaining about "stealing" music but more the weird conflict between IC "music" and OOC music mashing together to create a big confusing continuity error type situation. 

Just now, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Even though I agree with your points I don't think anybody here is inherently "stealing" people's music and/or bragging about it, the DOLL situation for example is the exact opposite of that and I feel it's one of the main reasons a thread like this was made. 

i'm not claiming anyone in this thread is doing it, i'm just outlining my opinion on people that DO go ahead and do that sorta stuff, as the OP asks. but yeah, the entire facebrowser song re-posting trend has been going on at least since i joined here and there, people post these random songs and start using it to gain their own ic notoriety or fame by claiming it's theirs. they're taking people's music off youtube and embedding it (or, in some cases, literally re-uploading it to other sites and then linking it) into FB, claiming they/their character created it. 

2 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

People aren't really complaining about "stealing" music

this very much SHOULD be complained about, though, just a side note. it does happen and it's a big irk for me.

Just now, joshua said:

the entire facebrowser song re-posting trend has been going on at least since i joined here and there, people post these random songs and start using it to gain their own ic notoriety or fame by claiming it's theirs. they're taking people's music off youtube and embedding it (or, in some cases, literally re-uploading it to other sites and then linking it) into FB, claiming they/their character created it. 

If they were given permission to do so, would this still be an issue in your eyes with the artists being an actual IRL artist?

Also because it's more interesting for the topic overall, say I want to make a musical character and pay someone to sing lyrics using Fiverr, them being an obvious OOC real life person and a possible use for someone else, would it still be okay for everybody to act obnoxious and comment about how it's this person or that if they're an obvious public artist selling works? 

4 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

If they were given permission to do so, would this still be an issue in your eyes with the artists being an actual IRL artist?

still undesirable. especially if you link to a youtube song with 800k views and thousands of comments, it's VERY immersion breaking. (especially if you know this musician and your char is ICLY a fan of them, suddenly someone has just yoinked that song to use as their own character's.)

overall, using public works and claiming them as your character's just isn't good enough. there's plenty of alternatives there as i've mentioned in my previous posts and in this one. get your own stuff, you know?

Just now, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Also because it's more interesting for the topic overall, say I want to make a musical character and pay someone to sing lyrics using Fiverr, them being an obvious OOC real life person and a possible use for someone else, would it still be okay for everybody to act obnoxious and comment about how it's this person or that if they're an obvious public artist selling works? 

it's not so much the fact people are using other peoples' voices, i totally get that a 27 year old man would find it difficult to sing as if they were a 22 year old female. it's more the fact people are re-purposing public works for their own benefit. if you pay someone to sing your lyrics on fiverr, you now own that content once you've paid for it and it's sent to you (as per fiverr rules, but other similar sites usually follow suit with that). i have no problem with a character claiming it's them and really pushing it if they've went through a process like that, rather than just linking a random song from youtube and saying 'MY NEW SINGLE . 1M HITS ON YOUTUBE , LOOK .'

and, as a side note, in the unique situation someone were to somehow use the SAME provider as you for their singing, it's not the end of the world, RP it as a different person (we RP gta player models as having attributes that they very clearly visually don't have, there's no reason you can't do that with something auditory instead).

Imagine expecting a thirty year-old person that was born and raised in Serbia to produce a track on their fourteen year-old Mexican Sureno character or a fourteen year-old Caucasian & Australian-born female producing a track on their thirty year-old African-American gang banger... 

In the least, use unknown underground artists and ask for credit before using their tracks.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, El Ghetto Man said:

personally doesn't matter to me, if somebody wants to use a crip rapper as a voiceclaim for their character that's a rapper & a crip, i personally see nothing wrong with it. Not everyone has musical talent, and I know barely anybody can accurately pull off their character's 'accent' in real life. can you imagine somebody from Serbia or the UK on a beat trying to rap like he's from the slums of South Central LS? It wouldn't make sense whatsoever.

2 hours ago, DLimit said:

Imagine expecting a thirty year-old person that was born and raised in Serbia to produce a track on their fourteen year-old Mexican Sureno character or a fourteen year-old Caucasian & Australian-born female producing a track on their thirty year-old African-American gang banger...