RL Music Used for IC Purposes?

Vanity

46 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

That's pretty silly honestly. not everyone has the time or skills to create music.

there's been countless ic artists on other rp servers that used rappers/singers songs for their ic music videos. If I wanted to make a music video similar to the one below for my Hispanic character, i wouldn't be able to. Because I'm Australian, not Central American. Around 90% of players aren't really going to make an entire song for a roleplay server, especially if they have such skills in real life. I personally wouldn't want to rise and become a rapper only to have some stupid song i wrote years back for a roleplay server just pop out of the blue.

If people roleplay actually making the music and then decide to use a lesser known rapper's song, i personally see it as whatever. People just love to go around ruining things for other people, as seen in that report 'DOLL' posted. I'm sure no real life rapper gives a fuck that someone uses their song for a music video on a video game aslong as they're credited. I dont think the people going semi out of character about it with the intention of ruining the other person's enjoyment really have a right to be acting as some sort of moral authority.

I don't think it's silly at all.

If someone doesn't have the time to create their own content, they should not resort to taking others. It's not 'ruining things for other people', people can react to something how they see fit. If I see an artist on FB that I know and someone is claiming it's their character - I'm not going to say, "Oh I love that song by Role_Player!" I'm going to label it under it's true artist - now who is in the wrong? Me? Them? 

If you made something and someone took it, regardless if it was for profit, role-play or other, it down-right sucks. You can't believe that just because /you/ wouldn't care that others don't - when clearly people do have an issue with it, hence the discussion. I've had my work taken previously and used by someone for their band's Myspace page and was "credited" - I didn't care about being credited, it was my work. 

Stealing other peoples work, even if you credit, is super-low. If you want to achieve something, do it for yourself. But on a 'Heavy Role-Play Server' we shouldn't endorse people doing this. As I've said, where do we draw the line? "Oh they're not harming anyone" - they are, because they are directly influencing the entire server's role-play by saying that they created something ICly and expect us to acknowledge that ICly.

If you don't have the time or skill to produce music, then perhaps focus your characters interests elsewhere and not take someone else's work and expect everyone to be okay with it. 

We as a community should /want/ originality and uniqueness - and those that RP as artists should strive to create original material for their own characters benefit not leeching off of someone else's hard work. We should support everyone that attempts to bring something they've spent time on. 

Edited by ashlyii
17 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

We as a community should /want/ originality and uniqueness - and those that RP as artists should strive to create original material for their own characters benefit not leeching off of someone else's hard work. We should support everyone that attempts to bring something they've spent time on. 

If the original artist gives permission for a player to use their music as their "characters", do you mind? 

Just now, BINGBONGGHOST said:

If the original artist gives permission for a player to use their music as their "characters", do you mind? 

How would that work? What if two people post the exact same video or refer to the exact same video, one not knowing about the character that created it?

3 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

It still doesn't help my main point - the fact that the person exists creates an awkward situation where people will always argue about it not belonging to that character. It's better as they have permission but that role-player cannot force that upon people by saying, "no this is my song". 

If we're defined as a heavy-rp server, then it's about making it immersive. If I hear Taylor Swift music, with Tay-Tay's blessing, being paraded as a character's, I'm not going to say, "Yep, that's not Taylor Swift."

As Westie said: Roleplayer A decides to take an artists song and claim it as his own. Roleplayer B decides to take the exact same song and claim it as his own - who does the song belong to from an IC standpoint? 

The whole thing is lame and there should be a rule stopping people from using other people's work for their character development. Make it yaself. 

Haley Connor was an artist and she released her music text-based and wrote the lyrics. That to me is wonderful and how it should be if you are unable to actually create the music you wish to make. 

Edited by ashlyii
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

It still doesn't help my main point - the fact that the person exists creates an awkward situation where people will always argue about it not belonging to that character. It's better as they have permission but that role-player cannot force that upon people by saying, "no this is my song". 

If we're defined as a heavy-rp server, then it's about making it immersive. If I hear Taylor Swift music, with Tay-Tay's blessing, being paraded as a character's, I'm not going to say, "Yep, that's not Taylor Swift."

I suppose it's a weird grey area overall, PERSONALLY I don't give a shit as long as it's not something stupid like Taylor Swift (or any other mainstream artist) and something more suited towards their character, underground artists for example.

What would you suggest for people wanting to have a musical character, excluding sinking years of their life to learn how to make something decent? (Ninja edit aside)

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST

Some people will say it breaks immersion, and some will say it enhances it.  It's just not worth it if it bothers too many people.  Just RP that you're doing the music, because it would be a town that has musicians and actors in abundance.  The character adds flavor.  As I have a character that plays at being a music producer, I've tried to slice this all of the different ways being discussed. The actual music by the actual artist seems like the thing that not only bothers the most people, but it's on the shakiest legal ground.  There are a few ways that I thought might be easier for other characters and their players to accept.

1. Cover songs- There are plenty of places to find public domain versions of commercial songs done by session artists.  You'll usually see something like "Session Artist X inspired by Beyonce" or whoever does the original.  They're royalty-free for the most part and you could play it like you're covering popular tunes to break into the biz while your Magnum opus is being written.

2. Mock-up- Just do things like album covers, song titles and maybe some lyrics.  People who have done this were mentioned earlier in the thread and I agree that it was done well and was convincing enough to add immersion in a text RP environment.

3 Original Music - If you can write hit songs that will be loved by the masses, you really ought to skip playing this game and get on with your music, but some people do the music anyway as a hobby and I'm sure this would be welcome.  My suggestion would be to just compose 1-2 minute simple things just for the game setting.  If you've poured your heart and soul into your own personal music it might not be too much fun if your character isn't well-received.  This community definitely has a toxic element to it that will tear something down just for the sake of doing it.

Edited by ashamar
fixed typo
  • Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

I don't think it's silly at all.

If someone doesn't have the time to create their own content, they should not resort to taking others. It's not 'ruining things for other people', people can react to something how they see fit. If I see an artist on FB that I know and someone is claiming it's their character - I'm not going to say, "Oh I love that song by Role_Player!" I'm going to label it under it's true artist - now who is in the wrong? Me? Them? 

If you made something and someone took it, regardless if it was for profit, role-play or other, it down-right sucks. You can't believe that just because /you/ wouldn't care that others don't - when clearly people do have an issue with it, hence the discussion. I've had my work taken previously and used by someone for their band's Myspace page and was "credited" - I didn't care about being credited, it was my work. 

Stealing other peoples work, even if you credit, is super-low. If you want to achieve something, do it for yourself. But on a 'Heavy Role-Play Server' we shouldn't endorse people doing this. As I've said, where do we draw the line? "Oh they're not harming anyone" - they are, because they are directly influencing the entire server's role-play by saying that they created something ICly and expect us to acknowledge that ICly.

If you don't have the time or skill to produce music, then perhaps focus your characters interests elsewhere and not take someone else's work and expect everyone to be okay with it. 

It's you that's in the wrong, because unless it's an extremely known artist I don't think it's really your place to just rain on their parade like that, it's stupid imo.

First of all, it is ruining things for other people, because you're using your OOC feelings to shit all over what other people are trying to roleplay. If I just spent 8 hours of my life on Menyoo or worse, actually ingame trying to make a music video for people to be entertained by, i'd prefer not to have morons on facebrowser carrying on with 'oH, ThIs iSnT HiM HuRr HuRr.', pathetically using OOC info ICly in an effort to ruin people's desire to roleplay something because some weirdo stole 1 of their songs on myspace.

The situation you're referring to has nothing to do with anybody else. That's myspace, a social media website where people do malicious bs like that all the time. This is a roleplay server on GTA 5, where people like to enjoy themselves. If somebody wants to make an IC music video using someone else's song (crediting them aswell) they should be allowed to without people trying to shit all over them.

They're actually not harming anyone by using other artists' music for their videos. Is the artist in question being hurt, threatened, or anything because some dude from some random corner of the world decided 'hey, this guy's a pretty good rapper, i might use his song for this music video my character wants to do'? No, they're not. Are you personally being harmed, threatened or robbed by somebody using another person's music for the purpose of portraying a character? No? Then why does it matter so much?

Oh and FYI, one shouldnt have to spend countless hours making an entire song (pretty lengthy process btw, you gotta write, get a beat that actually fits, actually record the song, edit, do ad-libs, edit, edit, and more editing) just to be considered unique and/or to be able to roleplay a musician. Basically what you're saying is that anybody who isnt their character's race in real life and/or cannot or doesnt wanna record music for whatever reason. That makes no sense, honestly.

The point I'm making is; Who honestly cares? If somebody enjoys making music videos and roleplaying a rapper on gta 5 rp, let them lmfao. wtf is all this 'yes, people roleplaying rappers should make their own music in real life' inb4 we see some rapper claiming to be a Crip w/ a European accent.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Applaud 1
5 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

It's you that's in the wrong, because unless it's an extremely known artist I don't think it's really your place to just rain on their parade like that, it's stupid imo.

First of all, it is ruining things for other people, because you're using your OOC feelings to shit all over what other people are trying to roleplay. If I just spent 8 hours of my life on Menyoo or worse, actually ingame trying to make a music video for people to be entertained by, i'd prefer not to have morons on facebrowser carrying on with 'oH, ThIs iSnT HiM HuRr HuRr.', pathetically using OOC info ICly in an effort to ruin people's desire to roleplay something because some weirdo stole 1 of their songs on myspace.

The situation you're referring to has nothing to do with anybody else. That's myspace, a social media website where people do malicious bs like that all the time. This is a roleplay server on GTA 5, where people like to enjoy themselves. If somebody wants to make an IC music video using someone else's song (crediting them aswell) they should be allowed to without people trying to shit all over them.

They're actually not harming anyone by using other artists' music for their videos. Is the artist in question being hurt, threatened, or anything because some dude from some random corner of the world decided 'hey, this guy's a pretty good rapper, i might use his song for this music video my character wants to do'? No, they're not. Are you personally being harmed, threatened or robbed by somebody using another person's music for the purpose of portraying a character? No? Then why does it matter so much?

Oh and FYI, one shouldnt have to spend countless hours making an entire song (pretty lengthy process btw, you gotta write, get a beat that actually fits, actually record the song, edit, do ad-libs, edit, edit, and more editing) just to be considered unique and/or to be able to roleplay a musician. Basically what you're saying is that anybody who isnt their character's race in real life and/or cannot or doesnt wanna record music for whatever reason. That makes no sense, honestly.

THIS. IS. WHAT. I. WAS. TRYING. TO. SAY. You literally stole the letters off of my keyboard. 

17 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

The point I'm making is; Who honestly cares? If somebody enjoys making music videos and roleplaying a rapper on gta 5 rp, let them lmfao. wtf is all this 'yes, people roleplaying rappers should make their own music in real life' inb4 we see some rapper claiming to be a Crip w/ a European accent.

36 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

I suppose it's a weird grey area overall, PERSONALLY I don't give a shit as long as it's not something stupid like Taylor Swift (or any other mainstream artist) and something more suited towards their character, underground artists for example.

What would you suggest for people wanting to have a musical character, excluding sinking years of their life to learn how to make something decent? (Ninja edit aside)

There's only so much you can do without actually having the skills or know-how to learn how to actually make music.

Haley Connors wrote a whole album with just lyrics and posted them as if it was a release. It was really well done and I credit her for it massively. Write your own music and ask a friend to sing your words or pay for a singer on Fiverr for example.

The argument that "they're not hurting anyone" isn't a good argument because their actions do affect others. As I said, nothing stops a person from taking an artists song - and then another person doing the exact same thing to the same artist. Nothing stops a person calling them out saying, "This isn't you". 

It's such an awkward line to tread that it isn't worth it at all and you'd be best off thinking of other ways to role-play as a musician. You don't have to do it all through Facebrowser, you can do it in-game with the animations and chat we have.  

There's so many points that can be brought up about why this is just a negative - you cannot reasonably expect people to just accept that someone is using another persons song when that person /exists/ in the world.

Hypothetical - I post a video on Facebrowser of a song. An artist starts up and uses that song as their own. Does my character now have to agree to the fact that this random role-player has written this song? Wouldn't they be confused and think, "..no, that's not their song."

As the server deals with real-life events and such which can be taken and used ICly, it just does not work. Until the community enforces a "Los Santos is it's own thing - no more real-life discussion can be used" you cannot justify taking another artists music and claiming it as your own ICly. You both "exist" in the world from an in-character sense. So you'll be labelled a content thief as you should be. 

You can still role-play a musician in-game, nothing stops you - you don't have to actually post music you have made or stolen, you can just RP that you're a musician. The only reason people would post a song regardless is for the likes. But taking other people's work and trying to enforce on other players that your character is the artist of that song is not going to fly with people, as evidenced by this thread and previous player reports. That's the problem with this situation - not everyone agrees nor will accept people saying "I made this" when they didn't in the communities universe. 

Edited by ashlyii