RL Music Used for IC Purposes?

Vanity

54 minutes ago, Vanity said:

Yeah, when referring to music, you obviously wouldn't use a well-known musician like Beyonce or Bruno Mars. It would have to be somebody that most people haven't heard of or are currently "unknown". 

I'm speaking solely about musicians/music because it gives you a chance to be creative and "personalize" it, like music videos, art, etc, and videography is a simple cut and paste. Honestly, I don't see how it's immersion-breaking if you give credit and state that it's for RP purposes only and come up with everything else like stated before. I would understand if somebody is using the same music, name, music video, art, and no credit given--that would obviously be breaking immersion, but if they're coming up with literally everything else, and it's good, to say it's "super lame" is sort of dramatic.

That's even worse as your taking content that someone who most likely doesn't profit off of.

If you aren't talented or willing to spend enough time to create your own music, you shouldn't be taking someone else's - that's all there is to it. 

Just now, ashlyii said:

That's even worse as your taking content that someone who most likely doesn't profit off of.

Considering that a lot of up and coming musicians give out their mixtapes for free to get exposure, it's not really worse at all. Two of the best mixtapes I've heard, I got them for free from the artists. When they're unknown, they're touring and opening shows, working for people to recognize their music and their name in hopes the next time that you see them in town, you'll come to their show and buy their merch and when they do put out a full length album, you'll buy it.

On the topic as a whole, I've been blessed to live very close to a large live music hub. You can pretty much go find one of any genre every night of the week. And I used to go to a ton of shows. And I've seen some really really good unheard of acts, and I've seen some pretty bad ones too. The one thing they have in common is that the majority of them are working their asses off to get discovered and investing in products in the short term they'll make little to no money off of, and hoping it pays off big. So when it comes to large scale artists, one that people can spot either by artist name, song, beat, whatever - that's a no from me. However, there are dozens of websites out there that people put their music on for free for people to download. Small artists of any genre do it. I have less of an issue if the product is procured from one of these places that the artist put their stuff out in hopes to be discovered than I do people taking stuff they hear on the radio.

Exposure is not having someone take your music and say it's theirs in any form of medium, even if they credit you. The artists are not gaining exposure as they're not being credited. The Facebrowser rules are NO OOC - so theoretically you can't put ((Artist Credits*)) on your page. 

If you want to role-play being a musician, that's fine - but you really should be attempting to create your own thing. Why not write some lyrics? Or mess around on Garage Band/Fruity Loops and create something? 

You'll never be taken serious if you take someone else's music and you shouldn't be. People SHOULD be able to call you out ICly and say "no, that's not your song, that's blahblah's song". It's immersion-breaking and should be made a rule. 

As Selena posted on the recent Sada James issue, "I'll make it clear here, you can't go from one artist to another, you need to be self-made, making your OWN music is fine and posting it."

Edited by ashlyii
19 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

As Selena posted on the recent Sada James issue, "I'll make it clear here, you can't go from one artist to another, you need to be self-made, making your OWN music is fine and posting it."

Link? 

20 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

People SHOULD be able to call you out ICly and say "no, that's not your song, that's blahblah's song". It's immersion-breaking and should be made a rule. 

Immersion-breaking and making it a rule is drastic. I feel like it all comes down to Lore, how you RP, and how you handle IRL influences inside the RP. For instance, I literally see nothing wrong with this:

It's simply used for IC purposes. It's not used to "steal" people's work and masquerade it as their own. If this is wrong, are other players on different games "stealing" artists' work, as well? Like The Sims? IMVU? Second Life?

6 minutes ago, Vanity said:

Link? 

Immersion-breaking and making it a rule is drastic. I feel like it all comes down to Lore, how you RP, and how you handle IRL influences inside the RP. For instance, I literally see nothing wrong with this:

It's simply used for IC purposes. It's not used to "steal" people's work and masquerade it as their own. If this is wrong, are other players on different games "stealing" artists' work, as well? Like The Sims? IMVU? Second Life?

Nothing should stop me from commenting on that video ICly, "This isn't you, this is _______ singing." And that's where the problem lies in regards to immersion being broken. People /will/ call people out for taking another person's song, as they rightfully should, whether they give credit or not. If that was posted on Facebrowser, she technically isn't allowed to put the OOC part as it's entirely IC. 

You can't use that argument of IMVU or the Sims - we're talking about OUR  role-play community where we're defined as "heavy-rp" - we should protect that image by placing a rule to avoid issues such as people claiming something is theirs and then being called out for it being someone else's (unless the RP they're going for). That's immersion breaking which we as a server are attempting to be immersive as possible. 

And just to add on, I really love that video. You can tell the creator invested time to nail the vibe and aesthetic and I absolutely credit them for that. But again, the issues arise when someone comments, "That's not you singing. That's ______". 

Edited by ashlyii
  • Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

Nothing should stop me from commenting on that video ICly, "This isn't you, this is _______ singing." And that's where the problem lies in regards to immersion being broken. People /will/ call people out for taking another person's song, as they rightfully should, whether they give credit or not. If that was posted on Facebrowser, she technically isn't allowed to put the OOC part as it's entirely IC. 

You can't use that argument of IMVU or the Sims - we're talking about OUR  role-play community where we're defined as "heavy-rp" - we should protect that image by placing a rule to avoid issues such as people claiming something is theirs and then being called out for it being someone else's (unless the RP they're going for). That's immersion breaking which we as a server are attempting to be immersive as possible. 

And just to add on, I really love that video. You can tell the creator invested time to nail the vibe and aesthetic and I absolutely credit them for that. But again, the issues arise when someone comments, "That's not you singing. That's ______". 

I completely understand and agree with what you're saying, especially with the links you've supplied. She used the same name/didn't give credit, which, yes, should be against the rules. I agree with you, though, and I'm surprised that there isn't already a rule that you've described. If there was, we wouldn't really be having this discussion, and it would really draw the line in the sand as to what's okay and what's not. 

5 hours ago, ashlyii said:

If you aren't talented or willing to spend enough time to create your own music, you shouldn't be taking someone else's - that's all there is to it. 

That's pretty silly honestly. not everyone has the time or skills to create music.

there's been countless ic artists on other rp servers that used rappers/singers songs for their ic music videos. If I wanted to make a music video similar to the one below for my Hispanic character, i wouldn't be able to. Because I'm Australian, not Central American. Around 90% of players aren't really going to make an entire song for a roleplay server, especially if they have such skills in real life. I personally wouldn't want to rise and become a rapper only to have some stupid song i wrote years back for a roleplay server just pop out of the blue.

If people roleplay actually making the music and then decide to use a lesser known rapper's song, i personally see it as whatever. People just love to go around ruining things for other people, as seen in that report 'DOLL' posted. I'm sure no real life rapper gives a fuck that someone uses their song for a music video on a video game aslong as they're credited. I dont think the people going semi out of character about it with the intention of ruining the other person's enjoyment really have a right to be acting as some sort of moral authority.

Edited by El Ghetto Man